Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-02-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flu Season Helps

Thought I would post some info since the flu season is upon us.
Quote:
Recipe for Flu
one thing my dr told me to do when i had t he flu was to mix-
1 cup of black tea made with 2 tea bags
1 cup coke
1 cup orange juice
(it really isn't as bad tasteing as it sound)

take 1 tablespoon every 15 minutes the first hour
take 1 tablespoon ever 10 minutes the second and hour
Quote:
It works well on every respiratory ailment I have used it on so here it is: Crush three cups of garlic and add it to two liters of apple cider vinegar. keep it in a warm place for 14 days then remove the garlic. A teaspoon of the vinegar in half a cup of water three times a day seems to work wonders fast. I had a touch of flu hit me recently and my head and back were killing me. I took just one dose and went to bed and in the morning I was fine. I have many such reports from patients, and it doesn't cost a fortune. Use the garlic for cooking. Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food Hippocrates Check our site www.pacrim.tk
Quote:
Get your Oscillococcinum(a homeopathic remedy) 200c (you will probably not be able to find a potency this high...look for 30C or 30X) and place one pellet(or several) into a one ounce dropper
bottle of distilled water. Succuss it vigorously 5 to 9 times and take a
few drops at least once every 28 days. It may prevent the flu. It does not
always work for everyone, but it is a "plan of action" at this point.
Quote:
This is the following list of general recommendations during the flu season:
Common sense - you have it, use it.
Frequent hand washing
Avoid swimming during autumn and winter, especially for susceptible
chidlren and adults.
Get plenty of rest
Avoid becoming chilled, wear an extra thin layer of clothing
If your child is ill, keep him or her at home
Minimize junk food (refined sugar compromises the immune system)

In my office, we are using the homeopathic flu product called Dolivaxil. It
has been used in Europe for years during the flu season to prevent flu
symptoms. It stops the flu before it starts. Every year, the World Health
Organization predicts which flu viruses are most likely to infect and cause
flu symptoms. Based on this information, the homeopathic solution is
reformulated year to year to help prepare the body during the flu season.

Preliminary research shows that the flu shot is 68% effective on all people
compared to a 90% effective rate on Dolivaxil. It has no side effects, can
be purchased over-the-counter, and is for the whole family. As a preventive
medicine in the flu season, it is taken weekly for 4 weeks and then once
three weeks later. Like all homeopathic medicines, it is pleasant tasting.
Quote:
Flu Proofing Garlic and Lemon Tea
Some folks swear that when they eat a raw garlic clove for breakfast every day, the never get colds or the flu. Straight garlic is too spicy for children (and most adults), but try this garlic and lemon tea to keep the flu at bay. Parsley deodorizes the garlic, and contributes a little Vitamin A.
1 small garlic clove, finely minced and mashed with
½ tsp honey
1 tsp spearmint, peppermint or sage leaves
1 to 2 tsp finely minced parsley leaves
Put the garlic mashed with honey (the garlic should almost disappear) into a teacup with the lemon juice. Put the leaves in a strainer and pour boiling water over it an into the cup. Cap the cup with a saucer and let the tea steep for several minutes. Remove the saucer and strainer.
For flavor variety, sometimes use mint, sometimes sage. Sage has life-giving properties of it’s own. Mint must be drunk the day it is made, but sage tea keeps at room temperature for a couple of days.
Quote:
Homeopathic list for flu http://www.simillimum.com/FirstAid/T...Influenza.html
THE HOMOEOPATHIC FIRST RESPONDER
Quote:
This is from purplebutterfly a few years ago.

Keep healthy intestinal flora ("good" bacteria that fights the "bad" bacteria) strong by providing a high quality acidophilus bifidus supplement. Our fave right now is the chewable Rhino brand raspberry flavored FOS & Acidophilus. This supplement is especially helpful any time your child is on antibiotics, which destroy intestinal flora. Other factors that decreas healthy flora: stress, travel, poor diet.

I am learning this one the hard way.Use natural antiviral and antibacterials around the house and when you're out and about. Tea tree oil is our preferred weapon. You can make your own "Clorox Wipes" by mixing about a dozen drops of tea tree essential oil (I use Dessert Essence Brand tea tree/lavendar eo) with a cup of water, then pouring over a stack of napkins or separated paper towels set inside a wipes container. I know other mamas who love to use GSE (grapefruit seed extract) instead of tea tree oil. Use your natural disinfecting wipes everywhere you go - wipe down shopping carts, restaurant tables/chairs, etc. Inside the house, we use Kiss My Face brand Germs Aside tea tree oil based hand soap, and a tea tree spray made by mixing a dozen drops in a cup of water and stored in a handy spray bottle.

At the first sign of any potential illness, or when your child has been exposed to someone sick, consider beginning a daily dose of immune-aiding echinacea. Since my ds was about a year old, we have been using the Herbs for Kids brand. Their blends are wonderful! One of the best is the Deep Immune Support with echinacea and astragalus, but be sure not to give astragalus if your child has a fever. For this reason, I also keep on hand the echinacea-based Vi Protection blend. Another wonderful alternative would be Sambucol for Kids, an elderberry syrup. Herbs for Kids is one of my favorite companies. It was founded by Sunny Mavor, natural mama and author of the wonderful, "Herbs, Kids and Health". You can check out all the wonderful natural health care products at http://www.herbsforkids.com/ - and be sure to check out her article on Caring for Children Naturally During Cold & Flu Season: http://www.herbsforkids.com/caring.asp

You probably won't find this in any healthcare articles, but I believe one of the body's best natural defenses is peace, joy, and laughter. Harmony in our homes and children's lives is crucial to a strong immune system. It's scientifically proven that stress does cause illness and disease, and just makes sense to help our families find peace and joy in all the ways we can. When I sense my little guy might be feeling out of sorts or coming down with something, I try to put all my chores on hold (and I know this is easy for me as a single child household) and spend a few hours just doing his favorite things. Painting, reading, cuddling, playing with cars on his playroom floor....things that I know will bring him happiness and gently bolster his immune system in the process.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:38 AM   #2
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu Season Helps

Thanks for those tips Rachael.....we are almost at the end of winter here in Australia but am printing off for next year
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some more from Dr. Randall Neustaesdter OMD
Quote:
First-stage treatment for flu (day one)

Oscillococcinum 200C ½ vial 3 times per day

Vitamin C 4–6 grams per day

Vitamin A 10,000–25,000 IU per day

Yin Chiao 3 times per day

Echinacea 900 mg powder per day, or 3 droppers 3 times per day

Sambucol 2 teaspoons per day

Often the initial treatment protocol will stop the illness and the symptoms will go away. If flu symptoms continue, move on to the next phase of treatment. If you have access to an acupuncturist, herbalist, or homeopathic practitioner, seek out their advice.

You can also choose a homeopathic medicine yourself that is indicated for the particular symptoms of your flu. Once specific characteristic symptoms have established themselves, it is possible to find the correct homeopathic medicine.

The two most frequently indicated homeopathic flu medicines over the past 100 years have been Gelsemium and Bryonia. Significant differences in the symptom pictures of these two medicines make it easy to decide which is the better fit. They are not the only medicines used to treat the flu, but between them they will probably fit the majority of cases.

Bryonia and Gelsemium type flus both come on slowly over a six- to twelve-hour period. You begin to feel gradually worse over that time. By the second day you have aching muscles, feel pretty bad, and usually have a headache. A Bryonia patient has more pain in the front of the head, which is definitely made worse by moving the head or moving the eyes, and feels better from pressing the hand on the head. A Gelsemium patient has pain in the back of the head with stiffness and aching in the neck and across the shoulders. With a Gelsemium flu you will not want to move much either, and you may feel worse from moving around, but you avoid movement primarily because you are so tired. The characteristic state of Gelsemium is lethargy and fatigue. By contrast, those sufferers who need Bryonia will be tired but also restless. Bryonia discomfort is worse from motion, but at the same time you feel the urge to move about restlessly in the bed. No position seems comfortable. Bryonia patients are thirsty, Gelsemium are not. In fact, those who need Bryonia are generally warmer and drier, with a desire for air and cool temperatures to calm the heat. Gelsemium patients are chilly and sensitive to cold; cold shivers go down their spine. At the same time those who need Gelsemium are clammy with the fever, and feelings of heat and cold may alternate. Bryonia patients have more coughing and chest symptoms, with a painful cough that aggravates the sore throat. The Bryonia cough will also cause chest pains, with the inevitable reaction of pressing the palm to the chest to minimize the movement caused by coughing.

Gelsemium patients do not have the energy to be emotional. Bryonia patients are irritable, worried, and fretful. They want to be left alone. Gelsemium cases are too exhausted to complain.

Contrasting Gelsemium and Bryonia

Gelsemium Bryonia

Chilly, with chills down spine Warm, with desire for cool air

Thirstless Thirsty

Dull, sleepy, heavy Dull, but irritable, worried

Worse from movement All symptoms worse from movement, but restless

Headache at back of head Headache in forehead, better from pressure, worse with motion

Archives of all shows are also available to download at the HPA website www.hpakids.org .
Feel free to forward this newsletter to friends and colleagues.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 08-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
healthymomof3

Ooooo, thanks so much! I'll add all this info to what I've got
Old 09-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

What would we do without you Rachel Thanks for the list

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to ask about the Sambucol. Is that safe to take during pregnancy? I know that the herbs for kids site says not to take Eldertussin in pregnancy and they are pretty much the same, are they not? I am getting sick and I need to take it but I have never taken it when pregnant.

Also on the flu list, the treastment course, day 1, has an unsafe Vitamin A dosage for pregnancy. Just wanted to point that out if it is going over to a pregnancy board.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #7
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

I have no idea..I didn't know that elderberry was unsafe during pregnancy..why is that? Allison might know...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 09-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
healthymomof3

There is no known toxicity for elderberry during pregnancy or lactation. Some sources say since there is no data to not use. Others say since there is no known toxicity that there are no contraindications and that it is safe.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthymomof3
There is no known toxicity for elderberry during pregnancy or lactation. Some sources say since there is no data to not use. Others say since there is no known toxicity that there are no contraindications and that it is safe.
It is not the Elderberry I don't think. It is the other herbals in the Eldertussin that make it unsafe, I think, but I am not sure what they are or why they are unsafe. We take the Sambucol that is the Immune Support formula, so I guess I was asking about that.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 09-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

hmm..did you check www.kellymom.com?

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 09-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
healthymomof3

I am confused. What is the question? Elderberry and Sambucol are the same thing.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthymomof3
I am confused. What is the question? Elderberry and Sambucol are the same thing.
You can buy Sambucol elderberry extract that is just the elderberry syrup. That is what my DH takes.
However, I get the Immune Support Sambucol, which has other herbals in it. I am asking about that. Sorry I was not clear.
I do have some of DH's syrup, so I guess I can take that but it makes me gag!

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #13
healthymomof3

OIC I am sure that if you google the other herbals or look on kellymom like cobluegirl mentioned, someone will list if they are contraindicated or not. I am not sure what other herbs are in that particular mixture
Old 11-18-2006, 10:28 AM   #14
Tanyia
Deactivated

Tanyia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
Thought I would post some info since the flu season is upon us.
Quote:
Flu Proofing Garlic and Lemon Tea
Some folks swear that when they eat a raw garlic clove for breakfast every day, the never get colds or the flu. Straight garlic is too spicy for children (and most adults), but try this garlic and lemon tea to keep the flu at bay. Parsley deodorizes the garlic, and contributes a little Vitamin A.
1 small garlic clove, finely minced and mashed with
½ tsp honey
1 tsp spearmint, peppermint or sage leaves
1 to 2 tsp finely minced parsley leaves
Put the garlic mashed with honey (the garlic should almost disappear) into a teacup with the lemon juice. Put the leaves in a strainer and pour boiling water over it an into the cup. Cap the cup with a saucer and let the tea steep for several minutes. Remove the saucer and strainer.
For flavor variety, sometimes use mint, sometimes sage. Sage has life-giving properties of it’s own. Mint must be drunk the day it is made, but sage tea keeps at room temperature for a couple of days.
This needs to have
Juice of 1/4 lemon added to the recipe
Tanyia is offline   Reply With Quote