Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #46
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all
Default Re: Charlotte Mason?

I actually have a copy of TWTM (not mine- borrowed), and seriously... I did NOT "get" it! That's why I was actually going when you said your dh didn't get AO, but got TWTM lol I didn't "get" AO either, until I sat down and literally spent HOURS pouring over the site, reading through the FAQs, reading the links provided throughout the FAQs, etc. I now "get it", and actually wrote up a CM-y schedule for us. I don't know if we will follow it though. There are many things in the CM style that appeal to me. For instance, at first I TOTALLY didn't "get" the idea of reading from 10 different books per term--it made more sense to me to just read one, move along, read another, move along, etc. I spent a lot of time reading through the FAQs and articles there, and now I completely "get" it and wanna do it!! LOL (and was about to type it out but now I can't find it ) Anyway, it included some of the main tenents from CM that I liked, such as journaling, nature walks, copywork, read-alouds from multiple "good" books....

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Titus2Momof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #47
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulySheMustFly
With TWTM you don't have to supplement except for finding a math program that works for your family but if you have something that you like and works for your family
I have read The Well Trained Mind, and I don't get what you are saying here. They make curriculum suggestions, just like AO. So you should have to supplement for both, or maybe I just don't understand what you are saying.

Quote:
Anyway, it included some of the main tenents from CM that I liked, such as journaling, nature walks, copywork, read-alouds from multiple "good" books....
What is it?

What is the difference between a Traditional approach and a Charlotte Mason approach to the 3 R's? I don't think I know what the Traditional approach entails.... I am imagining busy ever-repeating work and workbooks with a required number of problems you have to do, and desks, but that's probably not what you mean.

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #48
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, it included some of the main tenents from CM that I liked, such as journaling, nature walks, copywork, read-alouds from multiple "good" books....
What is it?

What is the difference between a Traditional approach and a Charlotte Mason approach to the 3 R's? I don't think I know what the Traditional approach entails.... I am imagining busy ever-repeating work and workbooks with a required number of problems you have to do, and desks, but that's probably not what you mean.
"It" was referring to the schedule I made up the other day--you know, the one I can't seem to find now.

The difference between the Traditional Approach and the CM approach to the 3R's, IMO: Well, what you're imagining a Traditional approach "looks like" *could* be what it looks like. OR, it could look different. There is nothing inherently "Traditional" -in the homeschooling world anyway- about school desks but for some people, they work (for us, they work--everyone has their own space, and the open-front desks we have are a great way for everyone to keep their own books/journals/supplies together in one handy spot). The CM approach says for the 3R's, you do arithmetic, but in 'short lessons'. You do writing, but again in short lessons and also CM approach is more concerned with quality, not quantity. IOW, whereas a Traditional approach might have a 'handwriting assignment' that day, a CM approach would have copywork of some sort, and would rather see a child copy 2 sentences (or 1) perfectly than see a whole paragraph of half-sloppy. The CM approach would also intentionally include journaling, but so do many Traditional approaches. Now, being a little 'outside the box' that I am, I try to stick to the motto that WE rule our homeschool, our homeschool does not rule us. So while we may use my beloved Abeka curriculum, *I* hold the trump card--not Abeka lesson manuals--as to what we're doing that day (and to their credit, the Abeka manuals plainly state that a first year teacher might wanna follow the guide more closely, being 'new' and all, but that a more experienced teacher might just use the manuals as a 'guide', not a must-do). The Abeka assignment may very well be to finish the entire handwriting page, but if I see that my child "gets it" and is writing the letters perfectly, I'm not going to force her to finish the page (though I will say IMO what they ask of K5 isn't much at all--that does change in 1st tho). AFA phonics, I'm not sure there is much of a difference, but I don't really know.

I agree about TWTM though-I read through it (what I could... ) and didn't see it as much more than suggestions.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #49
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2Momof4
For those of you who use Ambleside Online, with reading children.... do you read the weekly readings TO them, or do you have them read them on their own? Or do you perhaps read the suggested readings to them and let them read some of the suggested Free Reading books on their own? Just curious.... (yes I'm looking back at CM because I just can't help but like it but it seems so overwhelming, but we are taking a break from school til probably the end of March, when we are settled in, and I figured that would be a good time to read a little more on the AO website, if I can manage to make sense of it) OK not really. REALLY...I'm still leaning toward sticking with Abeka, and honestly the whole downloading books off the computer thing doesn't appeal to me too much ( that's why I liked Heart of Wisdom...)

Well, at least I'm learning about various methods and what have you, even if we do just end up sticking with Abeka, for various reasons.
We DO NOT download books, either. I purchased everything I thought we needed. Ds is doing year 2 and is a strong reader. We do about 2 or 3 readings each day. Ds will read one or two on his own (usually Child's History of the World, any of the Hollings books, 50 Famous Stories - I added some of these to year 2 because we didn't do year 1 - plus he listens to Burgess at Librivox), as well as his poetry. The more challenging reads (like Shakespeare and Pilgrim's Progress), I read to him. We also add science, composer, and artist living books in there - sometimes he'll read those himself, sometimes we'll read them together. The same with the free reading selections.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #50
Myrtle
Rose Garden

Myrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of light

wanna' come back to read this
Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #51
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

[quote=illinoismommy ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulySheMustFly
With TWTM you don't have to supplement except for finding a math program that works for your family but if you have something that you like and works for your family
I have read The Well Trained Mind, and I don't get what you are saying here. They make curriculum suggestions, just like AO. So you should have to supplement for both, or maybe I just don't understand what you are saying.

[quote]

TWTM does make suggestions and allow you to do with it what you wish but it also has lesson books where the how part is laid out for you. The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, Language Lessons for the Very Young and Writing with Ease and Story of the World Activity book lay things out for you in a way that Ambleside does not imo. I'm probably not being as clear as I'd like but any additional thoughts to be more clear will have to wait. I need to get out the door to pick Bear up from school.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #52
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Ahhh........well, since we are using Story of the World (and it's activity books) with our co-op, I will say, Janice, that it sounds like what she is saying is that the books and things aren't coming FROM TWTM *book* (like I thought she was saying). It sounds like she's calling things like SOTW "TWTM". Is that kinda right??

Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #53
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy
We DO NOT download books, either. I purchased everything I thought we needed.
In the first years, I downloaded and printed most of our books because I was able to do that inexpensively. Slowly over the years, I've been able to purchase a book at a time so now I have all the books - Miranda won't have to read from computer print-outs.

I've sometimes put texts on my PDA; that was nice for read-alouds. If I had a student who would read texts from a PDA, I would do more of that. But my sons want "real books."
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #54
GretchenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy
We DO NOT download books, either. I purchased everything I thought we needed.
In the first years, I downloaded and printed most of our books because I was able to do that inexpensively. Slowly over the years, I've been able to purchase a book at a time so now I have all the books - Miranda won't have to read from computer print-outs.

I've sometimes put texts on my PDA; that was nice for read-alouds. If I had a student who would read texts from a PDA, I would do more of that. But my sons want "real books."
I am curious - since you are farther along in your journey than we are - how you handle narrations from your older kids? (written, oral, - a combination?)

Also, do you hand them the reading schedule straight off of the website?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #55
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenM
I am curious - since you are farther along in your journey than we are - how you handle narrations from your older kids? (written, oral, - a combination?)

Also, do you hand them the reading schedule straight off of the website?
We still do mostly oral narrations and a weekly written narration.

I make up daily schedules from the weekly reading schedule that's on the website, and they have their own copy of their daily schedules. My personality likes everything scheduled.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #56
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Well, today I started considering using Abeka's DVD program for the older two next year--but was just informed that they may be doing away w/that, an converting to computer! I sure hope not- now that I finally decided to give the DVD's a try!! LOL Go figure!!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #57
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshifter
I like the webpages: http://www.amblesideonline.org/New.shtml and http://www.amblesideonline.org/FAQ.shtml although I do think that in the FAQs I think that the author slightly talks down unschooling and that it doesn't mesh with Charlotte Mason. I really believe the two are so incredibly similar if you give them each a bit of flexibility. Innately, a child that is outside a lot, will reach in the ways that Charlotte Mason describes while still being somewhat delight driven. A Charlotte Mason framework can give a structure to an unschooling child's life without overwhelming them with workbooks and published textbooks, putting them in a grade.
A pure CM education and a totally unschooling education are two different things, although on the surface, they can look similar. They can mesh well - but they are different at the foundation. A relaxed approach to CM will look more like unschooling, and a more scheduled approach will look more classical. But a pure CM education as CM intended will look like CM's schools.

("The author" . . . that would be me -- does it really sound like I'm talking down unschooling? I tried to find and include links to unschooling that didn't misrepresent the definition of unschooling, and I think highly enough of unschooling that I wouldn't have wanted to talk it down. CM is so often confused with unschooling and delight-directed that I was trying to draw a distinction between them by defining the differences . . .)
Just some thoughts on this. I am reading Charlotte Mason's original books and I just finished the 3rd one. The more I read the more I think how much the CMM and unschooling are alike. I am amazed at how much it all makes sense in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Mason
In this time of extraordinary pressure, educational and social, perhaps a mother's first duty to her chidren is to secure for them a quiet growing time, a full six years of passive receptive life, the waking part of it spent for the most part out in the fresh air.
Since CMM predates unschooling maybe I should describe it as unschooling being like the CMM. Its like 100(+) years ago she already saw that the kids were under extraordinary pressure and we need to chill out. I shudder to think what she thinks about us today.

The "not unschooling" paragraph on AO says (my paraphrase),

1. When your child has an interest in something you continue reading whatever wonderful classic you are already reading
2. You give them plenty of free time to pursue their new interest.

Most unschoolers who do choose to introduce their children to subjects they would not have otherwise noticed or thought to read about, but a few do not. So I am not sure that is really the difference I would describe. There are important differences though in the goals of a CMM education. I think the most major difference is in the focus of teaching a child to be able to direct their own will (or the subject of self discipline),

Quote:
In fact, character is the result of conduct regulated by will. ...We all know of lives, rich in gifts and graces, which have been wrecked for the lack of a determining will.
There is no such discussion in unschooling, but I love the way CM says that Education the science of relations as well as There is no education but self education. So education really ties into your whole life in a way it doesn't in other forms such as classical, but there is a defined goal of producing people who have discipline in a way I feel is lacking in unschooling (not that some unschooling families don't add that, but it isn't in the 'original text' as it were)

Old 03-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #58
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
Quote:
In this time of extraordinary pressure, educational and social, perhaps a mother's first duty to her chidren is to secure for them a quiet growing time, a full six years of passive receptive life, the waking part of it spent for the most part out in the fresh air.
Since CMM predates unschooling maybe I should describe it as unschooling being like the CMM. Its like 100(+) years ago she already saw that the kids were under extraordinary pressure and we need to chill out. I shudder to think what she thinks about us today.
In the first six years, they would look alike; "a full six years of passive receptive life" is preschool, up to age 6 or 7. But if you were to compare them at third grade, and then at seventh grade, they would look very different. Because, once CM starts "official" lessons, school is very focused, teacher-scheduled, with a pre-planned set of books.

If you look at CM's own curriculum (and I think it's fair and accurate to state that pure CM would be epitomized by how CM did it herself), what she was doing was very far removed from unschooling. These schedules were what she had home-bound students doing as well as her schools. Not to say that someone couldn't combine the two into their own very effective method of relaxed, child-centered learning - but then it wouldn't be purely CM or purely unschooling. It would be positive aspects of both.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #59
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
Quote:
In the first six years, they would look alike; "a full six years of passive receptive life" is preschool, up to age 6 or 7. But if you were to compare them at third grade, and then at seventh grade, they would look very different. Because, once CM starts "official" lessons, school is very focused, teacher-scheduled, with a pre-planned set of books.

If you look at CM's own curriculum (and I think it's fair and accurate to state that pure CM would be epitomized by how CM did it herself), what she was doing was very far removed from unschooling. These schedules were what she had home-bound students doing as well as her schools. Not to say that someone couldn't combine the two into their own very effective method of relaxed, child-centered learning - but then it wouldn't be purely CM or purely unschooling. It would be positive aspects of both.
Yes that's true, and I think that it surrounds that self-discipline thing. Unschooling says they'll learn it because they are inclined to learn, CM says they should discipline themselves to learn it because self-discipline is a useful life skill.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #60
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not to say that someone couldn't combine the two into their own very effective method of relaxed, child-centered learning - but then it wouldn't be purely CM or purely unschooling. It would be positive aspects of both.
Yes, and this is what our homeschool looks like. Which is shy I say I'm an "unschooling-leaning relaxed homeschool mama who used AO as a guide."

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote