Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone go raw? Or done a raw fast?

I usually get headachey, irritable and nauseous when I'm detoxing. Sometimes I actually have to take an ibuprofen to get thru the day. It gets better after a few days though.

how do you all keep your milk supply up? I'm exercising a lot too and if I don't eat a ton of fat my milk seems to dry up- so I'm eating waaaay too much cashew butter . What else could I eat besides avocado, co and nuts? I'm taking milk thistle and I *need* to sweat/exercise a lot for my sanity.

had a green date smoothie for lunch (thanks poliedopy )

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I have been doing green smoothies for the past two weeks. Just adding that to my diet has given me some potty issues. I think it is cleaning out the old stuff

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Batesfamily5

Red face Re: Anyone go raw? Or done a raw fast?

I could do 100% raw if it wasn't for Panera Tomato bread and poached eggs!

With Salsa!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #19
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

Most people are not 100% raw.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #20
made4more
Rose Garden

made4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond repute

Poleidopy told me about this thread, and I was excited for my day to end so that i could hop on and say "hi!"

I've been eating a raw diet for about 6 weeks now. I'd say I'm about 98% raw since a few things I consume are heated- like evoo sometimes, sometimes I eat nuts that aren't raw, if I don't have the dough for the raw ones that week, etc.

I did slip up one day and make a vegetarian pizza because the family was having pizza and I wanted melted cheddar cheese SO BAD. It was delicious, but it was NOT worth it, because I was sluggish, foggy headed and depressed for 4 days straight, and it was hard to stay on the path. then I had a grilled cheese on that 4th day and had to journal about it and get my ducks in a row again. I've lost quite a bit of weight. I'm not sure how much, because I've given my scales to my mom.

my fave sites message board is rawfoodtalk.com
my fave site right now for recipes is therawtarian.com (I believe it is) I love her brownies, alfredo sauce, turtles, and... I know I've made more.. Oh, her mac n cheese isn't all that. If you've got a little time, you can watch raw dog rory on youtube, he's got some good stuff. there is a site with recipes that are raw on $10.00 a day or less. love some of her stuff. rawfully organic on youtube is good. I know there are more.

I LOVE Kawanis cheez it recipe- it's my go to recipe when I feel like I might slip up. and I make it other times too. I dont like to let them get all the way dehydrated though, I like them when they are the consistency of fruit rollups.. omw!

I wonder if those of you that didnt love raw recipes were used to eating saltier, more processed foods? I imagine you are already healthier than I was when I started raw, so I doubt that's the case, but it was a thought I had. I suggest to those starting raw, to start with a LOT of fruits and veggies and some nuts and seeds. Eat very simply for that first week or 2, and then start adding in some recipes. your taste buds should be ready for "blander" foods.. (bland to a SAD eater, anyway) when I did raw 4 years ago, i loved the cheez its then also- then when I quit the diet I thought I could still eat htem. it was so bland and gross, and I threw it out.

I make quite a few recipes. a lot of them are 5 or less ingredients. I love that if I want to have cookies for dinner, I can. If I want to eat brownies for breakfast, I can. I don't often, but if I do get cravings for those thigns, I eat them and don't feel guilty. even if i polish them off.. which I never do.

examples of the last few days:
breakfast- "cereal" I poured homemade almond milk over 2 cut up bananas, some blueberries, and a handful of walnuts. (not raw)
2 bananas, a huge bundle of grapes,
kale chips
cookies that I threw together with the almond pulp. (banana, dates, pulp, raw agave, cacao powder, and chia seeds) I give it a 2 out of 5, but I was hungry.

yesterday
pad thai w kelp noodles
1 peach
more pad thai soooo good
watermelonade w mint
5 peaches
a bowl of "turtles"

looking at this, I need to eat a lot more fruit and vegetables and cut out hte sweets. they are just so yummy tho! they are mostly nuts, dates, cacao, coconut.. I mean.. TONS better than I was eating before.

an example of a good day of mine-

green smoothie
lg salad with creamy sesame dressing (omgosh)
banana
"tacos"

anyway- sorry I rambled and talked a lot. I love talking about the raw diet. this is THE ONLY diet for me. at least for losing. I may modify it a little when i hit goal (which is far off), not sure yet. It's really expensive to eat this way. in 2010 I ate raw and worked out for 4 months and lost 60 lbs. raw is awesome!

made4more is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to made4more For This Useful Post:
Dana Joy (07-16-2012), passthemanna (07-17-2012), thrillofhope (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #21
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute

Here are my kids responses to me going raw:
Ky: Cool, not for me, but I bet you will lose weight fast.
Shae: I cannot wait until you get over this health kick.
Kev: mmmm That's interesting.... NOT
Jesse

Last edited by Dana Joy; 07-17-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dana Joy For This Useful Post:
joystrength (07-17-2012), poleidopy (07-17-2012), TenderLovingWillow (08-24-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

I've been away from home for 3 weeks now eating yuck food. I can't wait to get home next week and go raw again. I love being raw.

Mommy piadosa, there's a raw restaurant in Studio City that sounds amazing. Sun Cafe, I think it's called. They host raw classes on Saturdays.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Dana Joy (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute

Studio City is for sure do-able, only 30 minutes away.
Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
thrillofhope
Deactivated

thrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond repute

I lost 30 pounds before doing about 70-80% raw. I just had smoothie for breakfast, salad for lunch and fruit for snacks and then whatever I wanted for dinner.

Now I've lost a ton of weight just by becoming vegetarian, but I really need to add in more raw. I've been so busy and while I've mostly kept the green smoothies, um... I'm eating my second noodle cup of the night right now.

Does anyone have a good salad dressing recipe? I have so much trouble finding one I like and it would be so much easier for me to eat salad with something yummy on top.
thrillofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #25
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

I love this salad dressing

"milk" (coconut, almond, whatever), 2 Tb dried fruit (dates or dried apricots usually), 1/4 raw nuts (i usually use cashews or almonds), 2 pieces or fruit- apples or peaches are good. blend til smooth

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
thrillofhope (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #26
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

I can't link from dh's phone, but if you do a search, I posted my raw honey mustard dressing. Best salad dressing ever.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
made4more (07-19-2012), poleidopy (07-17-2012), thrillofhope (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #27
joystrength
Rose Garden

Get it? Sock.Monkey. ????

joystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud of

Do any of you juice? LIke with a juicer?

His joy IS my strength! Live a life of HIS purpose

How long will it go on? If you keep living the way you are living, then you will keep living the way you are living. If you want your life to change, then CHANGE your life. Live differently, for repentance is a way of life. -- DH!

joystrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #28
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joystrength View Post
occasionally. before i did green smoothies, I used to do a green lemonade every day...juiced lemons, apples, greens and added water. Then sometimes a little strawberry juice added in or something, for fun.
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #29
mommylove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by joystrength View Post
Almost daily.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #30
L-Boogie
Rose Trellis

L-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond repute

Things helping me eat more raw:

Homemade smoothie popsicles
Frozen grapes
Breakfast cakes with fruit and cinnamon on top - that recipe uses flaxmeal but you can swap out ground nuts or pulp for all or part of it
Keeping salad toppings pre-mixed: shelled hemp seeds, raw sunflower seeds, chopped raw cashews, raisins, pepper, sliced almonds- one container to get out of the pantry instead of a whole bunch!
11/06 2/10 8/13
L-Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L-Boogie For This Useful Post:
poleidopy (07-19-2012), thrillofhope (07-20-2012)