Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you use Cloth Wipes.....

I decided that it is too much trouble to throw the disposable wipe away while I am sticking the rest of the diaper in the diaper pail, so I am going to cut up our old flannel receiving blankets and use them for cloth wipes.

Cloth wipe users- What kind of solution do you use? Back when I used to make my own wipe solution 8-10 years ago, I used to use water/oil/babymild liquid soap, and some lavendar/TTO. Now, I am seeing that Lavender/TTO might not be a good mix for babies. I remember reading an article a while back saying something about it, basically dismissing it, but then I was shopping for some premade solution for fun, and I saw some that said "TTO/Lavender free", as if that was a good selling point.

What do you use, and how do you store it? What is your changing routine?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
RosalieMarie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I'm always stepping on Legos

RosalieMarie has a reputation beyond reputeRosalieMarie has a reputation beyond reputeRosalieMarie has a reputation beyond reputeRosalieMarie has a reputation beyond reputeRosalieMarie has a reputation beyond reputeRosalieMarie has a reputation beyond reputeRosalieMarie has a reputation beyond reputeRosalieMarie has a reputation beyond reputeRosalieMarie has a reputation beyond reputeRosalieMarie has a reputation beyond reputeRosalieMarie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you use Cloth Wipes.....

I just use water. I wet them as I need them.
RosalieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RosalieMarie For This Useful Post:
Rabbit (08-29-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

I use plain old water.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

what's wrong with lavender/TTO for babies??

I used to use water, vinegar, and a little baby soap to cut the vinegar smell. I've been too lazy/too much of a procrastinator to cut up new wipes and do it this time around. which I'm kicking myself for.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
jubles
Deactivated

jubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant future

We use a kind called Cheeky Wipes (think they're a UK brand) and you just soak them in water with a couple of drops of oil that the compant sells. Currently using a Lavender/Camomile blend, but they also have a Mandarin/TTO blend. I hadn't heard that Lavender/TTO was bad. I wouldn't put it directly on their skin, but I'm using just a couple of drops in water that soaks about 25 wipes at a time, so it's really not much.

I've also made up my own solution using water with a spoonful of baby shampoo, a spoonful of baby lotion and spoonful of baby oil. It smelt amazing and was really nice to use, but actually the water and couple of drops of oil works just as well.

I pre-soak my wipes, but you can also store them dry and spray the solution on to them just before use.
jubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy View Post
what's wrong with lavender/TTO for babies??

I used to use water, vinegar, and a little baby soap to cut the vinegar smell. I've been too lazy/too much of a procrastinator to cut up new wipes and do it this time around. which I'm kicking myself for.
I don't know. I was hoping someone else would know.
I honestly don't remember.

I have been using water right now, but I don't have it in anything. I am just having to use the sink, and that is a hassle.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Striving to be a gentle mama and enjoying my littles.

BriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond repute

I store them dry and wet them when I need them, I just use water.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

When DS2 was smaller, I had a small bottle filled with water so I didnt have to run to the sink.

Mama to J - 11, J - 9, & A - 5
&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
BriansLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I used chamomile tea with a drop of lavender in it. Presoaked and squeezed out the wipes, so all I had to do was grab and go

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
emthewife
Seedling Rose

emthewife will become famous soon enough

I use water, and store them wet in a wipes warmer (I think it's Prince Lionheart brand?) they've never gotten smelly or mildewed.
emthewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

I asked this *exact* question just a few months ago, got various answers and so now I'll add mine...
I keep all the dry wipes in a big, empty plastic wipes container and each morning I grab a handful, wet them and stick them in a smaller, travel-size plastic wipes container. If I run out I wet a few more. I was using the big container for awhile, but they DID get moldy/mildewy smelling really fast that way. I only used water though. I use some wipes that were made for me by a GCMer. one side is super soft and the other side is regular material, not so fluffy. I like the 4" square ones. ANything bigger than that was too big. (I started out with just a couple baby washcloths. WAY too big for now, but maybe when N is a toddler. )
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

I keep a little spray bottle of wipe solution, and spray the butt/wipes as needed. I really like Super Stars by PureBebe and the solution that Blissful Booty makes.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Iansmama

I was another just plain ole water
Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

I use Baby Bits in a spray bottle, and spray on her bottom when I go to clean her. I have in the past used California Baby Diaper Area Rinse, diluted with water to make it last longer.
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
MiriamRose
Rose Garden

Growing is hard work

MiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond repute

I just use water.

Wife to my Submariner for 5 years!
MiriamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
LikeQuietDreams
Rose Trellis

fka Sweetbelly :)

LikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond repute

I think there were some studies a few years back that said that lavender and tto might be endocrine disruptors and could cause breast growth in boys... I seem to remember the studies using really excessive amounts of the oils though

I use water most of the time and a pre-made wipe solution when out and about. I use to use a water/soap/oil solution that worked great and have also used a lot of different pre-made solutions, but we were having a lot of yeast issues, so I cut them out just to be safe.

Wifey to my always thinking, sarcastic, librarian, INFJ hubby. (10/2007) "So, I've been thinking..."
Loving mama to my energetic, compassionate, and BIG feelings having ds "I" (01/2009) "You're going to be okay, little plant."
and my easy-going though slightly demanding, tough bulldozer, ds "H". (09/2011) "Hey! Hey! HEEEY!"

I'm blogging!
LikeQuietDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeQuietDreams For This Useful Post: