Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bread Machine vs Stand Mixer

My bread machine fell off the counter and was damaged beyond repair. I hate working with dough especially gluten free dough and so was using the dough setting on it to make pizza dough and the like. I haven’t baked in it since going gf seven years ago. I have an awesome gf pizza dough bread machine recipe. Yet I’m wondering if I could make the same recipe in a stand mixer. Would a stand mixer be more versatile or is a bead machine better? Pros and cons of each?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bread Machine vs Stand Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
My bread machine fell off the counter and was damaged beyond repair. I hate working with dough especially gluten free dough and so was using the dough setting on it to make pizza dough and the like. I haven’t baked in it since going gf seven years ago. I have an awesome gf pizza dough bread machine recipe. Yet I’m wondering if I could make the same recipe in a stand mixer. Would a stand mixer be more versatile or is a bead machine better? Pros and cons of each?
Oh no!!!

You could probably do the same recipe in a mixer. Especially if you haven't been using the bread machine to actually bake it.

A mixer is something that you could buy second hand and clean enough ( or have a friend who isn't gluten free clean it for you) to use it.

I use my stand mixer for cookies, cakes and quick breads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
charla (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 08:58 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I have both and I love my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. But I do prefer my bread machine for making pizza dough and dough for rolls. I never bake in my bread machine.

The dough hook for a Kitchen Aid stand mixer is actually quite good at developing the gluten-- but you're not doing that with GF bread dough.

I guess the big difference is the automation. I can put all the ingredients in my bread machine and walk away. With a stand mixer, I'd have to set the timer for the kneading, then get it set up to rise and set another timer.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
charla (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

A Bosch has been wondrous for us. It can handle up to 14 pounds of dough without being bratty.

We have this one https://pleasanthillgrain.com/bosch-...sal-plus-mixer and it's been working for almost 12 years. My mom had her Bosch for almost 20 years before giving it to a friend who has been using it since.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
charla (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #5
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute

I also use a Bosch mixer.

I bought it specifically for mixing bread doughs & to replace my bread machine.

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sundance For This Useful Post:
charla (06-24-2022), Llee (06-27-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 12:18 PM   #6
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

The bosch looks very fancy. I'm not sure though I can justify the price for the occasional use of it.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 06-24-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely try mixing with a stand mixer and see if it works! If it does, let me know! I don’t have a stand mixer, though, only a hand mixer. I have one gf bread recipe that I really like and it works with my hand mixer.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #8
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I would say it depends on the mixer, actually. The smaller, lighter Kitchen Aids can "walk" off the counter when kneading bread dough. The heavier models (typically bowl-lift style or the almost-commercial sized tilt head) are pretty stable. GF doughs are wetter, so it's not as much of an issue, but it could still come into play. I have a tilt head model and a bowl lift. The latter has a larger capacity and is absolutely rock solid when mixing dough. Until I got that one, I wouldn't I walk away from the mixer when making bread. Cookies, sure, not a problem. But not bread.

I've always wanted a Bosch for bread. The conventional wisdom has been that Kitchen Aid is the best available for cakes and cookies while Bosch does a better job with bread.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:12 PM   #9
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Ankersarum. It is comparable to a Bosch for bread, but also does all the things a Kitchen Aid can do and more. It is more expensive than all the options, but it is made with metal gears and proper belts and won't break. They also can be repaired, unlike Kitchen Aid. It has a HUGE capacity.

I have several the attachments that are available for them. One is for saucing fruits, including tomatoes during canning season (no need to blanch and peel and have a separate saucer machine). It also makes apple sauce, and strains berry juice to make jelly. Add a thing onto saucer and it becomes a meat grinder and a sausage maker. Another attachment is a shredder. Then there is a blender attachment (works as well as a vitamix just a smaller capacity). There are a couple more I don't have beyond that but I don't remember them. And the bread mixing bowl is separate from the bowl you use to mix cakes and cookies and whip egg whites, etc. I personally think it does a better job than Kitchen Aid with the cakes/cookies because the beater actually gets down into the bowl better.

But it is probably more machine than you are looking for.
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derdsgirl For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (06-26-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Do you have any sort of stand mixer? A good stand mixer is definitely more versatile than a bread maker so if i Needed one or the other I'd invest in a mixer. I love our kitchen aid. I make gluten free pizza crust and bread in it...
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
knitlove (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 05:46 PM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Do you have any sort of stand mixer? A good stand mixer is definitely more versatile than a bread maker so if i Needed one or the other I'd invest in a mixer. I love our kitchen aid. I make gluten free pizza crust and bread in it...
This is very much my opinion.

I have my mom's ancient kitchen aid. It is the first generation of home kitchen aids. When they still had the guts of the professional ones. I can leave it running with out it walking.

KitchenAid noften show up on my Craigslist both here and in Vermont. I would see if you can pick up a used one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
I would say it depends on the mixer, actually. The smaller, lighter Kitchen Aids can "walk" off the counter when kneading bread dough.

Very true. I always forget that Kitchen Aid makes the tilt-back model. That model is really only for mixing cake and muffin type batters. I think it's always worth the extra money to get the up-down model instead of the tilt-back model.

My mom's Kitchen Aid stand mixer is almost 50 years old and still going.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:53 AM   #13
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Very true. I always forget that Kitchen Aid makes the tilt-back model. That model is really only for mixing cake and muffin type batters. I think it's always worth the extra money to get the up-down model instead of the tilt-back model.

My mom's Kitchen Aid stand mixer is almost 50 years old and still going.
My aunt has one at least that old. It's actually marked as a Hobart. (The original parent company.) The quality has definitely fallen since they sold off the company about 5 years ago, though.

My tilt-head machine is 25 years old - it was a graduation gift. It still works, but it's smaller, so it doesn't get as much use. I have a large bowl-lift model on the counter. I'm now on my second bowl-lift model. When I had a problem with my first tilt-head machine, I found a local appliance repair authorized to fix Kitchen Aid. When I had a problem with the second bowl-lift machine, that place had closed. The only option now for repairs is to ship it back to Kitchen Aid. Dh ended up buying me a new bowl-lift instead of repairing the old one. Definitely worth considering.

I agree with a pp in that the mixer is typically a more versatile machine. If you don't bake in the bread machine and always use the oven, the mixer would be more useful. One other consideration is that usually counter top electrics throw off significantly less heat than the oven. If you're making a lot of bread, especially in hot weather, baking in a bread machine makes sense to me.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:36 AM   #14
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

The Bosch price is worth it. We use our mixer maybe once a month now. The blender maybe once. But I know that the motor won't break drown, no matter what. And I know that in the future (it was supposed to be this summer but dh and I are taking 6 weeks of class--waaah), I'll be using it more again.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:31 PM   #15
charla
Administrator

Ack, still can't decide what is best. Right now I have no bread machine and no stand mixer.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save