Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Entrees / Main Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 05-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Mum2Es
Rose Trellis

Mum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond reputeMum2Es has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you cook with beef steak?

I can buy steak cheap in bulk, but I don't have many ideas for using it. I'm defrosting about 1kg of round steak for dinner tonight - anyone got any bright ideas for cooking it?
Old 05-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
hbmamma
Deactivated

hbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How do you cook with beef steak?

marinade & grill
stew
braise (like a pot roast)

Keep it moist and avoid dry heat - it will dry out and be even tougher to chew...
hbmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

Just sauteed in a bit of corn oil in a cast-iron skillet with plenty of ketchup--that's my husband's favorite. (Tip: Sear on each side, then cook on medium heat on each side until done to your desired stage. Put a lid on during the last few minutes to keep it moist.) Or season with plenty of red and black pepper and garlic powder as you cook it, then slice and pile between slices of whole wheat toast with Miracle Whip on one side and ketchup on the other for fantastic steak sandwiches. Or slice when partially frozen and stir-fry with a bag of frozen veggies.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

There's a recipe in Don't Panic! Dinner's in the Freezer called Baked Steak.

You basically pre-sear all the steak at once, create this sauce in bulk, and divide it all into freezer bags. I serve it on egg noodles. If I do freezer cooking again, that recipe is my highest priority. I love it.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
righteous mama
Rose Garden

righteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond repute

My grandma cooks it with a tomato base...like a can of crushed tomatoes and some cut up bell peppers. I hated it as a kid. You could do that and add some garlic to make it really like a sausage and peppers sort of feel. Serve it over rice.
mama to farmer girl (21) princess lionheart (16), and dandelion queen (11)

~infp~

Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
righteous mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoKids
There's a recipe in Don't Panic! Dinner's in the Freezer called Baked Steak.

You basically pre-sear all the steak at once, create this sauce in bulk, and divide it all into freezer bags. I serve it on egg noodles. If I do freezer cooking again, that recipe is my highest priority. I love it.
where do I find this?
"Bubba" 3/09
"Princess" 9/11
read about *some content may be sensitive*
my life
My Poetry
I am not the princess in the tower, I have slayed my own dragons. I am the queen of my country leading the way.
If you want me you need to walk beside me not in front of me or behind me.
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Panic-Din...0853128&sr=8-1

I got my copy from the library.

Hint: These things are easier to cut up if they are at least partially frozen.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

beef steak is the basis of most all of our meat meals (other than chicken) caus of price and versality. Honestly I do everything with it brown it and add taco seasoning and tomato onions for mexican dishes or beef tips add rice or potatos and stir fry type veggies add beans peppers and onions for chile make into stews soups ect..

Deanna
Old 01-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
Lily
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

I season mine up with bell pepper, tomato, onion and fajita seasoning and put it in the crock pot on low. Slice it thin for fajitas or tacos.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Stir fry it with onions and green peppers (salt, pepper, garlic and soy sauce for seasoning)and serve over rice.

Cube it in a crockpot with mushrooms, golden mushroom soup, lipton onion soup package and red wine and serve over rice or egg noodles.

Brown it with onions, add water, potatoes and lots of salt and pepper for a beef and potato stew.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
JJsMom
Rose Garden

JJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond repute

I've just discovered cooking mine in the crockpot and I love it! My dh always liked steak but the rest of us never ate. But I cooked it in the crockpot and it is chowed down! I just put the thawed steak in the bottom of the crockpot, add a bunch of cubed (I peel mine but you don't have to) on top and carrots on top of that (I sometimes add garlic/onion powder). I let it cook until the meat falls apart and then I drain out the broth, add extra canned broth (I am obsessed with lots of gravy) and make a nice big pan of gravy by just adding some arrowroot (you could do cornstarch or flour). It is so yummy! I just ate the leftovers from dinner last night and it is so good.
Gave birth to my J-bird 10 yrs ago (ds)
Homebirthed my LuLu 7 yrs ago (dd)
Homebirthed my Punkin' seed (and Great Grandma's namesake) 4 years ago. (dd)
And had our newest arrival, JellyBean 2 years ago. (dd)

I still miss my Great Grandma every single day. I'm not ready to take her picture out of my avi. She feels closer this way.
JJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote