Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
boobymummy

Default I got told my parenting is pagan

because I rebuked some people on the fb group 'Christian Family Enrichment' for bragging in their status about using a bamboo spoon to beat their kids and thinking it was funny.

Its kinda rattling me...

I included a link to a good blog about smacking and the bible and they said it was 'straw man' theology.

I want ds to follow Jesus so much...

I can't force him, but i do think too few children follow Jesus these days. What are we as parents doing wrong? Does anyone have grown GBD kids who are following Jesus? I need some encouragement. xo
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
CarissaJoy (03-19-2010)
The Following 6 Users Say they are praying for :
abh5e8 (03-17-2010), DoulaClara (03-17-2010), euromom (03-19-2010), rosesnsnails (03-18-2010), Zooey (03-18-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Marzipan
Deactivated

Marzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got told my parenting is pagan

I don't know the discipline status of most of my grown- up friends, but my BIL is a really fantastic man of God and he was raised without spanking.
Marzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marzipan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

You know, just because a group calls itself Christian doesn't mean it's good theology, good fellowship, or a good place to be.

I joined a "Christian" subforum on another board I'm on, and was on it less than 48 hours before I just had to leave. They were dismissing things I know moms here have struggled with desperately, like for depression "Just trust God and it'll all be fine, it's all pride, you don't need anti-depressants." And other people being very judgmental about particular religious convictions.

So, I'm sorry they were reacting badly. But don't let it shake you too much. Christians can be wrong, right, judgmental, loving, the whole spectrum.
Kiara.I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
abh5e8 (03-17-2010), Codi (03-21-2010), duckwithoneleg (03-24-2010), Lantern Light Mama (03-17-2010), Mokek Kwe (03-21-2010), momyshaver (03-18-2010), Rabbit (03-17-2010), sweetpeasmommy (03-17-2010), Zooey (03-18-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobymummy View Post
because I rebuked some people on the fb group 'Christian Family Enrichment' for bragging in their status about using a bamboo spoon to beat their kids and thinking it was funny.

I want ds to follow Jesus so much...
Turn your concern/question around... Do you want your child to grow up thinking it's funny to hit littler people? Is that following Jesus?
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
bec28 (03-18-2010), CapeTownMommy (03-21-2010), Codi (03-21-2010), Maggirayne (03-18-2010), Mokek Kwe (03-21-2010), Rabbit (03-17-2010), Zooey (03-18-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
BeckaBlue
Rose Garden

AKA mama2madj

BeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond repute

honestly, if gentle parenting is pagan, i dont want to parent with christian philosophy

i dont believe gd is pagan, so that is beside the point
K, 14 ENP
A, 11 INJ
N, 10 EFJ
J, 5.5 ETJ
El 10/11
D 1/13

"Against the grain should be a way of life. What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" - Nickelback
BeckaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeckaBlue For This Useful Post:
CapeTownMommy (03-21-2010), Maggirayne (03-18-2010), Mokek Kwe (03-21-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute

welll....we can't control whether or not our children will love and follow Jesus...but we can live our life that way and pray they will learn from the work of the Holy Spirit, through and in spite of what we do and say.

so sorry they said those things to you mama...it is most definatly untrue.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abh5e8 For This Useful Post:
sweetpeasmommy (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Isn't that sad that pagans can act more Christ-like than Christians?

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
Allison (03-21-2010), canadiyank (03-18-2010), CapeTownMommy (03-21-2010), Chaos Coordinator (03-23-2010), Codi (03-21-2010), CrunchySeaSalt (03-25-2010), kwisie (03-19-2010), Maggirayne (03-18-2010), malakoa (03-19-2010), Mokek Kwe (03-21-2010), momyshaver (03-18-2010), movinforward (03-19-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Let's see . . . they are engaging in what started as sexual foreplay in the bedroom with an ecofriendly implement so I'm thinking a greater argument could be made for their actions being pagan
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Ajani (03-19-2010), Allison (03-21-2010), anotherone (03-18-2010), Codi (03-21-2010), duckwithoneleg (03-24-2010), euromom (03-19-2010), Maggirayne (03-18-2010), Mokek Kwe (03-21-2010), Zooey (03-18-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
boobymummy

lol Crystal. I guess they start with the assumption that the rod scriptures refer to beating young children, (take the english for face value) and then look for other scriptures to back up their stance.

In case anyone is in the mood for gore, here is a pic of the spoons of reference: http://images. google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cooking.isthegreatest.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/1674_200.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www. cooking.isthegreatest.org/2008/03/15/pampered-chef-%25E2%2580%259Cmust-have%25E2%2580%259D-4-%25E2%2580%2593-bamboo-spoon-set/&usg=__BJIDdXQDdEIBeVKoi2pnIOQfwrQ=&h=200&w=200&sz =13&hl=en&start=1&sig2=Mbusu12NtM9EMibyna2hvQ&um=1 &itbs=1&tbnid=yPvfaUTiMFliKM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=104&pr ev=/images%3Fq%3Dpampered%2Bchef%2Bbamboo%2Bspoons%26u m%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4ADBF_enAU319AU 319%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=Q6-hS9eGKpm6tAPU3vXRAw

I know its rare to find anyone, especially Christians all grown up without spanking, but if you know any (or are one) I would love to know the details of your relationship with Jesus xo

Last edited by ArmsOfLove; 03-17-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
Isn't that sad that pagans can act more Christ-like than Christians?
Yes, it is sad. One of my better freind in my homeschool co-op is literally pagan and the only thing we DON'T have in common is our theology.

And it is not that those women who spoke so rudely spank that bugs me, it is the idea that somehow you have to spank and find it amusing

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
Meli
Deactivated

Meli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond reputeMeli has a reputation beyond repute

I was smacked once as a child, when I was 3yo. I still remember it, and it was a moment that set me up for feelings of shame and not being acceptable unless I behaved appropriately for the rest of my life, even though it never happened again. I didn't even realise that until someone said something about "shame" once, and that was the first memory that came into my head.

My relationship with Jesus is wonderful.
Meli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meli For This Useful Post:
CarissaJoy (03-19-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I edited to break the link

My parents stopped spanking me with an apology after God told them to stop and explained the rod verses to my mother one night. I was 7. I think I turned out pretty God-loving

None of my children have ever been spanked and they all love God. My 12yo is preparing for his Messianic Bar Mitzvah this year

dh was maybe spanked once--he remembers it, his parents say it never happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobymummy View Post
lol Crystal. I guess they start with the assumption that the rod scriptures refer to beating young children, (take the english for face value) and then look for other scriptures to back up their stance.

In case anyone is in the mood for gore, here is a pic of the spoons of reference: http://images. google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cooking.isthegreatest.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/1674_200.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www. cooking.isthegreatest.org/2008/03/15/pampered-chef-%25E2%2580%259Cmust-have%25E2%2580%259D-4-%25E2%2580%2593-bamboo-spoon-set/&usg=__BJIDdXQDdEIBeVKoi2pnIOQfwrQ=&h=200&w=200&sz =13&hl=en&start=1&sig2=Mbusu12NtM9EMibyna2hvQ&um=1 &itbs=1&tbnid=yPvfaUTiMFliKM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=104&pr ev=/images%3Fq%3Dpampered%2Bchef%2Bbamboo%2Bspoons%26u m%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4ADBF_enAU319AU 319%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=Q6-hS9eGKpm6tAPU3vXRAw

I know its rare to find anyone, especially Christians all grown up without spanking, but if you know any (or are one) I would love to know the details of your relationship with Jesus xo
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
hopeforchange (03-18-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was raised in a grace-based/gentle-discipline home. His attachment to Christ has a trickle down effect on our whole family.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mountainash For This Useful Post:
CarissaJoy (03-19-2010), Codi (03-21-2010), sweetpeasmommy (03-21-2010), Tasmanian Saint (03-18-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #14
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

I was not spanked though not raised as a Christian. However I was raised with Judeo-Christian values. I have been following the Lord deliberately since I was just shy of 16. I have never once turned from Him

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heather Micaela For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (03-23-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute

My dh was spanked 2-3 times in his life. He only remembers once. His mother was very gd and instilled Christian values, but he was not "raised Christian." It's been pretty easy for him to accept the Word of God. He doesn't struggle with the things so many other men do.

I was raised Christian, "We spank you because God says to. We love you so we spank you. This hurts us more than it hurts you." I was one step away from completely rejecting God for many years. I lived for so long in a state of shame, depressions, and rebellion.

I've thought a lot about why so many youths reject the church when they reach adulthood. What I keep coming back to is that those children never learn what Grace and Mercy are. Sure, they've heard lots of sermons about how we are so awful that God shows mercy on us by forgiving us. But I don't think you can truly understand the concept of Grace until you've experienced it. Most children grow up never experiencing Grace. I think it's difficult, if not impossible, to understand the need for God's Grace and Mercy when you haven't ever experienced it personally IRL.

Wife to the car guy for 21 years
Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
tazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tazmom For This Useful Post:
BeckaBlue (03-18-2010), Charity (03-18-2010), Codi (03-21-2010), mokamoto (03-25-2010), mountainash (03-19-2010), Rabbit (03-18-2010), SortaCrunchy (03-18-2010)