Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Entrees / Main Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yummy Medieval Chicken!--2 Chicken and 1 Vegan Recipe

I have to pass this one around because it's so good and I am so proud of myself! I am a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism. My local chapter is presenting a Moorish feast this fall and I am in charge of the food. I have chosen recipes out of a translated 13th-century Islamic cookbook from Andalusia, but the recipes haven't been redacted--that is, rewritten for use in modern kitchens. (Most medieval cookbooks are really just shorthand notes for professional cooks, not how-to-cook books like ours.) I had to do the research, guesswork, and testing to redact them. I had no idea what I would end up with when I cooked this one, but it is DELICIOUS. I will spare you the description of the redaction process and just give the recipe.

Coarsely chop:

1 bunch cilantro

Put 1 cup of cilantro at a time into a blender and pour in a little water. Pulse until there is a lot of juice in the blender. Lay cheesecloth over a bowl and pour the contents of the blender onto the cheesecloth. Squeeze out all the juice. Repeat until all of the cilantro has been used. Discard chopped cilantro.

Put into a pan big enough to hold them in a single layer, meaty sides down:

3 1/2 pounds chicken parts, either from a Cornish hen or dark meat from regular-sized birds (I skin the pieces but you don't have to)

Pour over the chicken:

3/4 cup cilantro juice (freeze the rest for another time)
1/2 cup olive oil (do not skimp!)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
A few grinds of pepper
1 handful split blanched almonds
Water just to cover the chicken pieces the rest of the way

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is almost done (time will depend on what pieces you used). Add:

1 cup plain bread crumbs
1-2 tablespoons flour, dissolved in a little water first, as for thickening a stew
2 eggs--broken directly into the pan

Increase heat to medium. Cook and stir until chicken is done and pan juices thicken into a velvety golden sauce shot through with silvery threads of egg. Ladle chicken and sauce onto a deep platter. Sprinkle with:

More pepper
Ground cinnamon, as for cinnamon toast*
Generous pinch of ground lavender**

To serve the authentic way, sop up the sauce with hunks of bread, probably flatbread, then eat the chicken with your fingers; right hand only, please! Also good served over rice and eaten with a fork. The original cooks wouldn't have known this, but the leftovers are even better. DH had six pieces!

*The cinnamon we get at the store is really cassia, a similar spice. If you are using true cinnamon for authenticity, you will need to use less because the flavor is much stronger.
**Culinary lavender is not the same as the lavender from potpourris; they are grown and processed differently. Ask at your local Middle Eastern market or health food store or order online. It's easy to grind your own lavender. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, you can use a plate and the back of a sturdy spoon. Lavender adds an elusive, but delicious piny/floral taste to food.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yummy Medieval Chicken!

That looks really good! I'll make it tomorrow!
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! It's just called "A Dish of Chicken" in the cookbook, but I'm thinking of renaming it "Gold and Silver Chicken" for the feast menu. I'll be serving it with a "green" chicken dish (cooked in a liquid resembling soy sauce, with lots and lots of cilantro and cilantro juice--people were rolling their eyes in bliss over it, I'll post it if I get the chance) and a vegetarian dish made with orange split lentils. Very colorful!
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

If you do another test batch I'd love to see a picture!

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
Mashena

yum! that sounds really good!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Proverbs31
Rose Garden

Proverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond repute

oh, that looks good to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny_islander
and a vegetarian dish made with orange split lentils. Very colorful!
we eat a lot of red lentils here; mind posting that one too if you have a chance?
Longing to adopt #3+

Proverbs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
blossomnatalia

thanks for posting this,,, the cilantro juice bit sounds sooooo yummy!!

I will have to try this.

ans yes to pics, please!!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

How would this taste *without* the nuts? The recipe sounds awesome but I prefer eating my meals without interuptions to the ER for the anaphylactic shock nuts bring on.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

I have to confess that I posted this in part to get feedback from people who weren't already primed to try medieval food because our autumn feast is given for the public. I have been eating it for so long that I no longer consider it weird to spoon up something that looks like, say, rice pudding with cinnamon sugar on top and discover that it is really pureed pork with almond milk. Yes, as I redact the recipes, I will be happy to post them here. I will do pictures if I can.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove
How would this taste *without* the nuts? The recipe sounds awesome but I prefer eating my meals without interuptions to the ER for the anaphylactic shock nuts bring on.
The nuts add a mildly sweet note to the mix and provide texture. If I were to leave them out, I would add a tiny bit of sugar--just a pinch should do it. Or substitute poppyseeds if you can eat poppyseeds; this would be "black and gold chicken," I guess. The nuts, BTW, look a bit odd to modern eyes because they are not slivered or chopped, just sort of sitting there in the sauce. But imagine eating with your fingers and things become clear.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
Proverbs31
Rose Garden

Proverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny_islander

The nuts add a mildly sweet note to the mix and provide texture. If I were to leave them out, I would add a tiny bit of sugar--just a pinch should do it.
I'm so used to omitting nuts that I would not have thought what to sub in, just left them out thanks for the tip!
Longing to adopt #3+

Proverbs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
Cookie Momster
Rose Garden

Cookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond reputeCookie Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds yummy!
two Young Thinkers
and two Little Explorers
~
ISFP/Type 2
~
Forgiveness happens when it becomes unimportant to hit back
~
Unite!
~

Cookie Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

OK, here's the recipe for the other chicken recipe I have redacted already. It's called "The Green Dish which Umm Hakima Taught." "Umm Hakima" is a child-name, an honorific that is still used in parts of the Islamic world today. When you become a parent, you are addressed as "Umm [child's name]" (for a mother) or "Ibn [child's name]" (for a father). A Muslim correspondent tells me that it is a source of immense pride and makes a person feel officially adult. You may get your child-name from your firstborn or from your firstborn child of the same sex; Hakima is a girl's name. So we might say, "Hakima's Mother's Green Chicken."

Rinse and pat dry:

3 1/2 pounds Cornish game hen, cut up, or dark meat cuts from a larger chicken; do not skin

Put into a pot and cover with:

Cold water

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer just until done, about 30 minutes (check after 20 minutes). Remove chicken pieces and reserve broth for another use. Fill a large skillet 1/4 inch deep with:

Olive oil

Heat on Medium until shimmering and fragrant. Brown the cooked chicken pieces on all sides until the skin is golden and crisp, moving the pieces frequently to prevent sticking. Meanwhile, stir to combine in a bowl:

Tender leaves of 1 or 2 bunches cilantro, chopped--remember, this dish has to be green!
1 small onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon bitter outer layer of onion (the part that is somewhat leathery), minced*
1/4 cup light-tasting soy sauce**
Ground black pepper to taste
Caraway seed to taste
1/2 cup cilantro juice
Peeled whole garlic cloves, to taste
Crumbled dried thyme, to taste
1 cup water

Pour this mixture over the cooked chicken. Cook and stir until it comes to a boil. Break into the pan:

3 eggs

Cook and stir until eggs are scrambled and sauce has reduced by more than half. Serve with rice or flatbread. This is a very savory dish that tastes a lot like a good Chinese stir-fry.

*The original recipe calls for rue, a bitter herb. Scientific testing has shown rue to be poisonous if taken in quantity, but mace and nutmeg are also poisonous if taken in quantity. For liability reasons, I'm leaving it out of the recipe (also I can't find any rue).
**Medieval Moorish cookery used a sauce called murri, which was made from barley in almost exactly the same way as soy sauce is made from soybeans, although the two were invented independently. Nobody has made it commercially for hundreds of years. Modern experiments with the recipe have produced something that tastes very much like light soy sauce, so I used that here. Look for a sauce that is made of just soybeans, salt, and possibly wheat.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

Default Re: Yummy Medieval Chicken!--NEW RECIPE

This is called "A Muzawwara [Fake Meat Dish] Suitable for Tertian Fevers or Acute Fevers." A tertian fever is one that keeps coming back about every three days. Basically this is what they would have served instead of chicken soup. This recipe makes enough for about six ill people. I might call it "Vegan Appetizer Meatballs," because the nearest thing I've found in modern USian cookery is cocktail meatballs served at room temperature.

Pick over and put into a fine mesh strainer:

1 cup red lentils (split brown or Egyptian lentils; they actually look orange)

Rinse under the hot tap and allow to drain. Rinse repeatedly until the water that drains off looks clear. This removes some of the starch and makes the finished dish more firm. Put into a small saucepan and carefully add water until the lentils are just barely covered, by which I mean a bare film of water over the top. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer briskly until the lentils are soft, stirring occasionally adding water only as needed to prevent scorching. The lentils should become a stiff golden paste. Now add:

1 cup or more seeded peeled chopped cucumber, chopped hearts of Romaine, chopped ribs of Swiss chard, peeled and chopped gourd, or other moist, crisp vegetable
5 tablespoons olive oil, in which you have previously soaked 1 thread true saffron (no need to remove the saffron)
2 1/2 tablespoons red wine or white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon each ground coriander and ground cinnamon (supermarket kind)
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin

Cook gently until the vegetables are warmed through. Add a small amount of:

Sea salt

Take off the heat and taste. The dish should be "pleasantly balanced between sweet and sour." Corred the seasoning as needed and let cool. Serve at room temperature. The correct way to eat this is to take your clean right hand, gather up a bite-sized portion, roll it quickly into a ball, and pop it into your mouth. It goes down well, tastes and smells good even when you are feverish (personal experience), and feels refreshing. If you would rather not use your hands, portion it out with a melon baller. You could roll two or three balls inside a small tortilla or fold them inside freshly made flatbread (also tempting to the ill) or serve each portion on a bed of warm rice or couscous. Refrigerate leftovers and let stand on the counter for a few minutes before serving. I'm going to save this one for Lent and have it for lunch!