Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 01-06-2023, 04:08 PM   #16
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: January meals

These are the black eyed peas that I make every year. We actually had them on NYE this year.

They are so amazing!
mummy2boys (01-13-2023), ViolaMum (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 04:43 PM   #17
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the middle of Finals right now. My two older girls made semi finals in the same category. The younger one (who was dragged into this kicking and screaming! by the older one) made finals. The drive home is going to be interesting.......

Tournament eating is so difficult! There's just no time. I brought lots of shelf-stable foods this time, but forgot paper plates. I was able to run out to a local grocery store this afternoon and get tortillas, deli stuff, and salad kits (with dressing!) so most of us had reasonably healthy wraps for dinner.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
These are the black eyed peas that I make every year. We actually had them on NYE this year.

They are so amazing!
I'm going to make those when we get home. With a whole pound of bacon, how can you go wrong?!
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:22 PM   #18
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in England as a child, more than 45 years ago (yikes). It was tradition for the neighbors to bring around pots of black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day (or was it Boxing Day?). Everyone would have a taste from the same spoon, but my mom would run to the kitchen to get us our own spoon.

Tonight I made gf Mac and Cheese with chopped ham and kale. I used this recipe https://www.garlicandzest.com/southe...-kale-hotdish/ but I used twice the pasta and twice the cheddar, with no crumb topping. It was perfect.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:32 PM   #19
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
We're in the middle of Finals right now. My two older girls made semi finals in the same category. The younger one (who was dragged into this kicking and screaming! by the older one) made finals. The drive home is going to be interesting.......

Tournament eating is so difficult! There's just no time. I brought lots of shelf-stable foods this time, but forgot paper plates. I was able to run out to a local grocery store this afternoon and get tortillas, deli stuff, and salad kits (with dressing!) so most of us had reasonably healthy wraps for dinner.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

I'm going to make those when we get home. With a whole pound of bacon, how can you go wrong?!

I like doing the pre-made salads at tournaments. I bring canned chicken to add protein.

That’s super exciting about finals! What event?
My kids both made finals in Impromptu at our last tournament. It was super fun having them both on stage as they announced the final results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:48 AM   #20
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
I like doing the pre-made salads at tournaments. I bring canned chicken to add protein.

That’s super exciting about finals! What event?
My kids both made finals in Impromptu at our last tournament. It was super fun having them both on stage as they announced the final results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got the tuna pouches - not bad, but the kids wouldn't eat them. I'll have to try chicken next time.

Informative - oldest's Greek Tragedy speech finished 11th and the Storytelling vs Entertainment speech finished 4th. A "Celebrity Alumni" (a graduate who won everything at Nats last year) ranked the Greek Tragedy Speech as "First in the room!" on her ballot which I think made up for everything!

We're home and I have to go grocery shopping. I have a taste for coconut rice, so perhaps I'll get what I need to make Chicken Satay to go with it.

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 08:17 AM   #21
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
I got the tuna pouches - not bad, but the kids wouldn't eat them. I'll have to try chicken next time.

Informative - oldest's Greek Tragedy speech finished 11th and the Storytelling vs Entertainment speech finished 4th. A "Celebrity Alumni" (a graduate who won everything at Nats last year) ranked the Greek Tragedy Speech as "First in the room!" on her ballot which I think made up for everything!

We're home and I have to go grocery shopping. I have a taste for coconut rice, so perhaps I'll get what I need to make Chicken Satay to go with it.
Those are great results! I'll have to look into the categories. We LOVE when alumni come judge. It means so much to the competitors.

Last night was starving student chicken. Tonight is soccer mom pasta in the IP.

Tomorrow is up for grabs. No chicken and no pasta. Coconut rice and chicken satay sound good.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 10:31 AM   #22
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

TickleMomster, I have seen "starving student chicken" mentioned by you before. What is it? My roommate in college had a Starving Student Cookbook, but that was 28 years ago, so I am guessing it is not from that!

I made some turkey meatballs last night and some sweet potatoes because I needed to use them up, but there was only enough for 4 people, so it was a lot of FFS last night. (everyone eats at different times, so it did not really matter.)

I do not know what is for tonight. I want a ground beef dish that is one pot-ish, but not like homemade hamburger helper or chili. And not tacos. Out of ideas.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:53 AM   #23
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Last night I made roasted salmon, baked sweet potatoes, and creamed spinach. Tonight I'm planning Italian meatballs, rice, and marinara sauce and a salad but not sure what kind.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:23 PM   #24
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Chicken Satay Curry, coconut rice, cucumber salad, and another veg TBD.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:45 PM   #25
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I decided on this

https://damndelicious.net/2019/04/24...odle-stir-fry/
Only I don't have oyster sauce, so I will have to use tamari and hope for the best.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:51 PM   #26
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

It's from The Chicken Soup for the Soul cookbook.

1/2 c olive oil
8-10 cloves garlic minced
1/2-1 tsp crushed red chili flakes (I use a shake of cayenne.)
1.5 pounds chicken diced
1/2 - 1 cup white wine (I use leftover champagne.)
1 lb spaghetti/linguine
1T soy sauce
1/2-3/4 cup parmesan cheese

Marinate the diced chicken in the wine for at least 2 hours.

Start the pasta water boiling. Cook the pasta.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add the garlic and the red pepper flakes. Saute until garlic is golden. Turn up the head and add the chicken, reserving the marinade. Cook until chicken is done. Combine the pasta, chicken and sauce, soy sauce and parmsan. Serve.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 01-10-2023, 05:33 PM   #27
Singingmom
Administrator

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight I made fried rice. Tomorrow will be taco salad. Niece and nephew are visiting, and those were their requests.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Old 01-10-2023, 07:12 PM   #28
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Last night was black bean enchiladas with guacamole and raw carrots

Tonight lemon pepper chicken thighs, baked sweet potatoes, and spring salad with red wine vinaigrette
Old 01-10-2023, 07:44 PM   #29
Singingmom
Administrator

(Desiree, your avatar is so pretty!)

Old 01-11-2023, 09:57 AM   #30
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom View Post
(Desiree, your avatar is so pretty!)
Thank you! It took me forever to get it in focus. Your avatar actually prompted me to put one up with my face!

Dh took it at our 24th anniversary dinner in Dec.
Singingmom (01-11-2023)