Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #16
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendation for Reading help with Dyslexia

Knitlove, you have been a constant encouragement to me as I Homeschool my ds

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

I always love these discussions. Even at 17yo, ds has some deficits and I appreciate the reviews and the thoughts here. I am going to re-read to evaluate where ds is. I've recently started having him do some multi syllable word reading with me because I notice when he reads aloud he just randomly guesses long words because he doesn't want to pause (I believe because that would show he cannot read smoothly )

I went onto All About Learning's website and looked at a sample of AAR. Is he able to read all of that to you aloud or in his head? 4 pages in 20 minutes isn't horrible actually. I have come to grips with the fact that my ds will not be a speed reader by the time he graduates high school

A few suggestions for fluency specifically.
IN addition to the time you spend with him.
1. work up to 30 min of independent reading and then have him spend about 5 minutes telling you what happened in the story. I started really really slowly and kept it casual "what happened today during your independent reading?" Basically you are doing a quick comprehension check and helping him build up the muscle of reading.
2. have him still listen to audio books and follow along in a regular book as knitlove said. We did this a lot and I realized recently we stopped so I am trying to fit this back in organically without too much fuss from my ds. I'm thinking of buying the audio version of MOH since he's using it for ancient history right now. He's been reading it alone so I am not sure if that's a good idea or a bad idea.
3. have him sit and do audio books with siblings.
4. AAS. We did AAS with ds and it's actually really really helped keep the multi syllable chunking that he learned in the rewards program fresh.

Here is how we did it - first three steps
1 Lindamoodbell - alone
2 SSRW (this is most remedial and how he HAD to learn the sounds/letters) - alone
3 Picture me reading - alone

Once he was really really solid on above, we did all these at the same time (well, we kept adding things when he couldn't just do one or two things

step 4
PHONICS INSTRUCTION - 60 MIN
1. Recipe for reading
2. recipe for reading readers
3. word lists (I had 3 or 4 books of lists for him to just work on sounding things out - I did use the word lists from AAR AND DIANE CRAFT in here)
4. AAR readers

step 5
FLUENCY/multisyllable words/typing AFTER PHONICS INSTRUCTION
Rewards multisyllable/fluency
Reading assistant (online)
TTRS (touch type read and spell - also online)

In the midst of all of that we tried AAS a few times but I ended up waiting until we were done with rewards to actually get deep and heavy into AAS.

So, for curriculum, here are some of the things I liked the most. You didn't say where he is but I saw on AAR the approximate - if he needs any phonics remediation or sight words the first two curriculum would help.

Recipe for Reading (this may be too remedial for him but it is good O-G approach for if he still struggles to sound out easy words or guesses occasionally with any type of blending like fast, glide, etc) -- I am pretty sure I own this and all of the readers. I used all the workbooks. BUT this may be an excellent way to do a quick review. It's a bit young but the truth is that if they are behind, young is often needed.

Picture me reading https://www.picturemereading.com for sight words if he is not 100% solid on sight words. My ds was guessing for a very long time and I bit the bullet. It was a very very good move for us.

Rewards multi syllable approach. http://store.voyagersopris.com/rewar...and-secondary/ We DID NOT do this in 6 weeks. We took a long time and moved very slowly doing 1/4 lessons and repeating things A LOT until he built fluency. I will say I am looking at purchasing another level for him just to refresh because he's been "guessing" on multi syllable words again (this I know I have and I will dig it out and can answer any specific questions).

My final bit of advice - if there is any deficit in sight words or sounding out words and blends, I would start over. The very remedial things are FOUNDATIONAL to reading at higher levels. It was so so hard for my ds and I to KEEP starting over but in hindsight, I was DEFINITELY given the right advice. Some kids can learn to read without all of this. What I did with my ds was A LOT. OH I never got the chance to try AAR with ds because he was ahead of when they were being released. BUT I used readers for reinforcement and fluency practice.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 01-23-2019 at 11:09 AM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

This is all so helpful and encouraging.
As far as where he is, it is such a mixed bag and depends a lot on the day.
Today, he read "Daniel's Duck". I really just have him read aloud for 10 minutes. He did not have any trouble with the words except with the three syllable words. (animal, Tennessee, Moccasins, Pettigrew)
But, he reads maybe 1 word every second or second and a half. There were a few times he strung words together like a fluent reader. It is a second grade level book. If I test him with a word list, he is pretty solid second grade. The thing that trips him up most are things that have multiple sounds like "ow". I think he said "Vall-ey" to rhyme with "Ball-ey", because "all" says, well, "all". I hate English!!!

His handwriting is very pretty. Not fast, but very pretty when he wants it to be. He rarely reverses letters anymore. He still reverses him numbers. I kept marking his math wrong because I thought his 6's were 2's.

The computer programs that helped were Nessy, Read, Write and Type, some sight word flash cards on powerpoint that had an audio component so he could run a slideshow and try to say them before she did, or just after if he missed it, Letter Olympics for b/d differentiation, and several brain training type things for working memory.
I am pretty sure he can hear the difference in sounds, so I don't think it is phonological.

Anyone try Logic of English?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #18
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE Spell to Write and Read. You need two books, nothing else. It uses the method recommended for dyslexia.

I expect my child to jump 5-6 grade levels this year in spelling/reading based on results so far. No prep. Super easy. Not babyish.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-25-2019)