Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #106
afternoonrain
Climbing Rose

afternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::) (Edit: MORE pics, post 8 :giggl

Oh Mr.b looking so handsome!

The hardest part about discussing giant breed weight, especially in puppies and growth is that there is a LARGE number of people who feel that the pups need to bulk up quickly and should physically resemble the structure of a stout adult dog of said breed.

The pups from this litter are prone to be lankier than some saints because of variation in breed standard. ( ie, nose cannot be longer than head is wide, leaves room for variation in facial structure etc.) rough coated saints look scragglier and a lot of smooth coated resemble more mastif type dogs.

Having said that, I'm not happy with khaleesis body right now either, and she has more "meat" on her than MR. b. There were a couple other pups with a "body" that I felt happier with. Not HEAVIER necessarily or BIGGER.

JUst more filled out in rib/ haunches area, as 10 week old puppies for this breed should be. Saints certainly should er on the side of slim and slender especially the first year. But a 10 week old puppy should be more filled out and a little stout because they aren't old enough to go through that awkward growth phase yet.

Good, quality food to promote healthy but slow growth. Frequent small meals thoughout the day.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

I should also mention how PLEASED I am with khaleesi. She is so very sweet. And smart. And gentle. And calm. Healthy, as in alert with clear eyes and nose and not lethargic. We sit when we want to be petted. ( thank you breeder. ) we come to our name. We do a lot of watching and maintain confidence and no skittishness, even when we are unsure.

As far as weight goes...Eh, I'm just gonna blame the pedigree dog food. Pretty much the only thing I disagreed with from the get go.

Forgive my ramblings. I process through typing.

That thing says I am an ENFP. It also says I am an ENFJ.
afternoonrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afternoonrain For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #107
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::) (Edit: MORE pics, post 8 :giggl

Quote:
Originally Posted by afternoonrain View Post
Oh Mr.b looking so handsome!

The hardest part about discussing giant breed weight, especially in puppies and growth is that there is a LARGE number of people who feel that the pups need to bulk up quickly and should physically resemble the structure of a stout adult dog of said breed.

The pups from this litter are prone to be lankier than some saints because of variation in breed standard. ( ie, nose cannot be longer than head is wide, leaves room for variation in facial structure etc.) rough coated saints look scragglier and a lot of smooth coated resemble more mastif type dogs.

Having said that, I'm not happy with khaleesis body right now either, and she has more "meat" on her than MR. b. There were a couple other pups with a "body" that I felt happier with. Not HEAVIER necessarily or BIGGER.

JUst more filled out in rib/ haunches area, as 10 week old puppies for this breed should be. Saints certainly should er on the side of slim and slender especially the first year. But a 10 week old puppy should be more filled out and a little stout because they aren't old enough to go through that awkward growth phase yet.

Good, quality food to promote healthy but slow growth. Frequent small meals thoughout the day.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

I should also mention how PLEASED I am with khaleesi. She is so very sweet. And smart. And gentle. And calm. Healthy, as in alert with clear eyes and nose and not lethargic. We sit when we want to be petted. ( thank you breeder. ) we come to our name. We do a lot of watching and maintain confidence and no skittishness, even when we are unsure.

As far as weight goes...Eh, I'm just gonna blame the pedigree dog food. Pretty much the only thing I disagreed with from the get go.

And I second all of the temprament stuff for Mr Bultitude . He is ALREADY even whining at me when he needs to go potty outside when he's not even in his crate I am so astounded by how polite and well mannered he is.

Welcoming all prayers for a sticky duckling this time

At the end of time, I will kiss you all over your face.
duckwithoneleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #108
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

You make me want a puppy lol

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #109
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, the body shots? Yeah, skinny boy.

Satin Balls are amazing, though I always left the Total out and replaced with a bit of oats. Peanut butter is good too. If he'll eat it, full fat yogurt in small amounts can be good to keep their bellies calm.

I wouldn't even worm them at those weights, if his sister is like him. Not right now anyway. Tummy upset is not your friend.

And, FWIW my best pup ever came from a similar situation. He was fine and grew up strong, though at first I felt like I could hear his bones clacking he was so ribby. (Mama with nine huge puppies and broke owners who never expected a male dog to break their fence in order to knock her up )

I bet in two weeks you'd never know.
afternoonrain (05-14-2013), duckwithoneleg (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #110
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
Dude, the body shots? Yeah, skinny boy.

Satin Balls are amazing, though I always left the Total out and replaced with a bit of oats. Peanut butter is good too. If he'll eat it, full fat yogurt in small amounts can be good to keep their bellies calm.

I wouldn't even worm them at those weights, if his sister is like him. Not right now anyway. Tummy upset is not your friend.

And, FWIW my best pup ever came from a similar situation. He was fine and grew up strong, though at first I felt like I could hear his bones clacking he was so ribby. (Mama with nine huge puppies and broke owners who never expected a male dog to break their fence in order to knock her up )

I bet in two weeks you'd never know.
You are so encouraging!

Yeah they were wormed right before we got them. So there was that, too.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #111
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

When we wormed my pup, who was a super fatty when igot her,she got super scrawny for a bit. Then plumped up again

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #112
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man. If it weren't for the slobber... I'd be tempted!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-15-2013), mollobe (05-15-2013), Tandem mama (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #113
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

Oh man, you guys... Looking at Saint bernard growth charts, and our puppies are supposed to be twice the size they currently are for their age. I'm having a hard time with it, to be honest. I hope they aren't (especially mine 'cause he is one of the smallest/boniest) permanently stunted. I will love him no matter what size he grows to, but I'm not gonna lie... I will be sad if he stops at like, aussie shepard size .

Taking him out socializing is hard. People guess that he is a Saint Bernard mix or point to his paws and say "Hmmm, .... those paws don't look big enough to be a saint bernard." I just stare back at them. I don't know what to say. I'm sorry? ... I met both of his parents and older siblings? I promise he's all saint? Idk.

I think he is going to be fine... I just hope he grows.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #114
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

He's going to be fine Put down the growth charts, try not to obsess about his weight/size and just love on him. With adequate access to food and love he will grow just fine.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amber For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-15-2013), Johns_Gal (05-15-2013), kwisie (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #115
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
He's going to be fine Put down the growth charts, try not to obsess about his weight/size and just love on him. With adequate access to food and love he will grow just fine.
I'm a words of affirmation girl. Promise? I REALLY needed to hear that. And to stop looking at puppies on youtube that could swallow my puppy whole.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #116
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

This is our puppies' mama:

This is their dad:

And here's the obligatory puppy pic for the day

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to duckwithoneleg For This Useful Post:
curlymopmom (12-15-2013), kwisie (05-15-2013), mollobe (05-15-2013), PaperMomma (05-15-2013), TenderLovingWillow (05-20-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #117
Mommainrwanda
Rose Trellis

New country - same username

Mommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond repute

Our Juba (while not a giant breed) was really undernourished as a puppy because of his rice sensitivity. we had a hard time feeding him in Rwanda. He was six months old when we moved to the States and finally started feeding him well. And he's definitely full Ridgeback size now. I think you've got this one. Mr. B is gonna be perfect.

-Showing grace
-Undercommitting
-Believing in the restoration of all things

The Urchin is capriciously 3
The Chiton is
an introvert not an introvert, just T4 baby

Adventure blog: Delving for a Rhapsody
Mommainrwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mommainrwanda For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-15-2013), Johns_Gal (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #118
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto MamaRwanda over there, only "Starving black lab puppy, who showed up at my house as nothing but skin and bones" and he grew fine.

And really, you can't listen to every opinion about your pup. People are silly. Add in some gangly awkwardness and forget it. (You try walking a very nicely put together, but half grown sheltie sometime. )

Feed him and teach him and remember he's not supposed to be done growing for a couple years. He had a few weeks of less than great nutrition... you can fix that. In those four week photos he is a gorgeous fuzzball of baby fat. He got to nurse. He got those first basic puppy skills that make for good dogs. He just got pushed to the bottom for a short time, and now has a family who can devote more to his diet.
duckwithoneleg (05-16-2013), mollobe (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #119
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

Before you know it you will be like me...complaining about the insane amount of food your giant puppy consumes and also cleaning up the giant land mines in the yard

BTW do you have any links for feeding giant breed dogs? I don't know how I overlooked researching that part...and I'm wondering if I need to switch Mayzie over to adult food at this point.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amber For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #120
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
Ditto MamaRwanda over there, only "Starving black lab puppy, who showed up at my house as nothing but skin and bones" and he grew fine.

And really, you can't listen to every opinion about your pup. People are silly. Add in some gangly awkwardness and forget it. (You try walking a very nicely put together, but half grown sheltie sometime. )

Feed him and teach him and remember he's not supposed to be done growing for a couple years. He had a few weeks of less than great nutrition... you can fix that. In those four week photos he is a gorgeous fuzzball of baby fat. He got to nurse. He got those first basic puppy skills that make for good dogs. He just got pushed to the bottom for a short time, and now has a family who can devote more to his diet.
This is one post I will come back and read again and again .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Before you know it you will be like me...complaining about the insane amount of food your giant puppy consumes and also cleaning up the giant land mines in the yard

BTW do you have any links for feeding giant breed dogs? I don't know how I overlooked researching that part...and I'm wondering if I need to switch Mayzie over to adult food at this point.
I'm not a big link saver ... but I can try to go dig some up when the baby goes down... What kind of dog is she? I've always read that giant breeds aren't supposed to eat puppy chow at all. Just adult food only. So they won't grow too fast.