Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #61
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::) (Edit: MORE pics, post 8 :giggl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
It is hard to tell what size your crate is...my Great Pyrenees puppy is 6.5 months old. She outgrew my lab sized crate by about 4 months. Thankfully my MIL had a giant crate she used when her little dog had puppies and we have been able to borrow that. I don't see Mayzie being trust worthy enough to go without a crate for quite a while. Hopefully my MIL won't need her crate back anytime soon
It's supposed to be a "large dog" crate (the next size up was the st bernard size , but it didn't have the divider in it for puppy size). I guess we'll see how it goes

The breeder has the two prior litter pups (a yr old and 6 months old, when we visited the first time), and the 6 month old was no longer in a crate. She said historically, by 6 months, her puppy adopters usually don't need a crate anymore.

I am skeptical , but Shaianne was there and 6 months old and ... yanno, still a puppy, obviously, but not destroying things or acting crazy or using the bathroom inside or anything.

Welcoming all prayers for a sticky duckling this time

At the end of time, I will kiss you all over your face.

Last edited by duckwithoneleg; 04-30-2013 at 06:47 AM.
duckwithoneleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #62
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::) (Edit: MORE pics, post 8 :giggl

Mayzie would be fine without her crate if it wasn't for her annoying habit of randomly chewing on things Our hoses are her current favorite thing to chew on (I have to buy more hose repairing pieces today She was the easiest dog I have every potty trained
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amber For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #63
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Mayzie would be fine without her crate if it wasn't for her annoying habit of randomly chewing on things Our hoses are her current favorite thing to chew on (I have to buy more hose repairing pieces today She was the easiest dog I have every potty trained
Rock on

Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #64
Mommainrwanda
Rose Trellis

New country - same username

Mommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond repute

We definitely still use the crate to give Juba his space away from babies. He appreciates the break.

It's also a lifesaver at night. Jubes sometimes has digestive issues and it's nice to keep that contained, iykwim.

But now I'm SUPER curious to see your awesome Mr. not needing a crate at 6 months. I mean, if he's just chillin' around...so cute.

-Showing grace
-Undercommitting
-Believing in the restoration of all things

The Urchin is capriciously 3
The Chiton is
an introvert not an introvert, just T4 baby

Adventure blog: Delving for a Rhapsody
Mommainrwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mommainrwanda For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (04-30-2013), mollobe (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #65
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I've had puppies who did, and puppies who didn't. Puppies who didn't = shelties. Itty bitty awkward looking fuzzies sleeping by the bed at night and nosing at me when they had to go out.

You'll have to play it by ear with him and littles/cats. Honestly, one that big I'd see about puppy proofing the laundry room as his crate or something, provided he's not destructive.
duckwithoneleg (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #66
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
I've had puppies who did, and puppies who didn't. Puppies who didn't = shelties. Itty bitty awkward looking fuzzies sleeping by the bed at night and nosing at me when they had to go out.

You'll have to play it by ear with him and littles/cats. Honestly, one that big I'd see about puppy proofing the laundry room as his crate or something, provided he's not destructive.
I forgot to mention, I wasn't thinking of not needing a crate while also having no other space for him. We have a few options for daytime, like our deck, which is all baby proofed and fenced and has some covered space... And he could sleep in the spare room if he needs to be contained at night. His parents and siblings are all excellent with cats, and he is being socialized to them very young, so I am cautiously optimistic in that area.

But if he doesn't grow faster than the 6 month old, the crate ought to fit him a little ways past that. It's bigger than a lab sized crate .

Or we might just have to suck it up and get another one when the time comes .

We shall see.

But yeah, I definitely agree for the very likely need to give space/contain somehow.

Possible trade/selling of old crate and purchase of new, but I'ma wait and see how it goes for a hot second

Last edited by duckwithoneleg; 04-30-2013 at 01:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckwithoneleg For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (05-17-2013), Mommainrwanda (04-30-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #67
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

Ivenever had a St. Bernard, so take it with a grain of salt I think temperament and lifestyle have a lot to do with wether crating is needed. My day's lab had to be outside if we weren't home even at 15 years old because he'd chew things. Like holes in the carpet. because he missed us. We also were a large family and we were gone all day for school/work THEN we had sports almost every night of the week. He was lonely and bored. They never crate trained him.
Their border collie/mini husky/lab mix loves her crate. She doesn't chew and she's super duper well behaved. She gets so nervous when people leave and she isn't crated. If she can get into it she will. If its shut and latched, she sits by it and throws up from nerves. We think she's afraid she'll get in trouble. She also goes there to chill out when too much is happening.their puggle likes her crate fine.
They only crate when they're away.

Our dog-a redbone coonhound/lab/some type of terrier mix needed crating when we slept and when we were gone. She was nervous and hyper and chewed and paced while barking. Now that she has a backyard at the inlaws to run in, she will sleep outside their bedroom door when they sleep and she is inside when they're gone in bad weather. She does fine. But the neighborhood is less busy and they've got a place for her to get her energy out. She is primarily an outdoor dog by her preference. She prefers to be outside so fil lets her stay out as long as she wants. She's become a very good, calm dog

All of that to say, different dogs have different energy needs. I think if they aren't getting all of their needs met they are more likely to destroy things when unsupervised. When needs are met, they're more likely to be okay out f a crate. Also, some dogs are just really curious even with well met needs

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
afternoonrain (05-01-2013), duckwithoneleg (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #68
WildFlower
Banned

WildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond repute

aw he is so cute and LITTLE (for now he's little ) Upon seeing the picture my dd (2 1/2) says " K's ? K's doggie?" She REALLY wanted that doggy
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WildFlower For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #69
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFlower View Post
aw he is so cute and LITTLE (for now he's little ) Upon seeing the picture my dd (2 1/2) says " K's ? K's doggie?" She REALLY wanted that doggy

Last edited by duckwithoneleg; 05-01-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #70
afternoonrain
Climbing Rose

afternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond reputeafternoonrain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem mama View Post
Ivenever had a St. Bernard, so take it with a grain of salt I think temperament and lifestyle have a lot to do with wether crating is needed. My day's lab had to be outside if we weren't home even at 15 years old because he'd chew things. Like holes in the carpet. because he missed us. We also were a large family and we were gone all day for school/work THEN we had sports almost every night of the week. He was lonely and bored. They never crate trained him.
Their border collie/mini husky/lab mix loves her crate. She doesn't chew and she's super duper well behaved. She gets so nervous when people leave and she isn't crated. If she can get into it she will. If its shut and latched, she sits by it and throws up from nerves. We think she's afraid she'll get in trouble. She also goes there to chill out when too much is happening.their puggle likes her crate fine.
They only crate when they're away.

Our dog-a redbone coonhound/lab/some type of terrier mix needed crating when we slept and when we were gone. She was nervous and hyper and chewed and paced while barking. Now that she has a backyard at the inlaws to run in, she will sleep outside their bedroom door when they sleep and she is inside when they're gone in bad weather. She does fine. But the neighborhood is less busy and they've got a place for her to get her energy out. She is primarily an outdoor dog by her preference. She prefers to be outside so fil lets her stay out as long as she wants. She's become a very good, calm dog

All of that to say, different dogs have different energy needs. I think if they aren't getting all of their needs met they are more likely to destroy things when unsupervised. When needs are met, they're more likely to be okay out f a crate. Also, some dogs are just really curious even with well met needs
I agree with all of that. I have a beagle/whippet mix. An regardless of her morning walk, daily stimulation and Interactig with our family, and evenig walk.... She is crated at night. Still. HER temperament has a lot to do with it. She didn't have have fantastic puppyhood and is rather nervous. Sleeping in her crate gives her the security she needs.

Having said that, I'm hoping that this pup (and duckwithoneleg a pup) have had enough foundation that they are MORE likely to be calmer, balanced dogs and that they will easily transition into our homes in a more laid back manner.

Forgive my ramblings. I process through typing.

That thing says I am an ENFP. It also says I am an ENFJ.
afternoonrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afternoonrain For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-01-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #71
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

I thought you might all like to know, IT'S PUPPY DAY!!!!

Well, for me it is. For Afternoonrain and Mamahobbit, it will be tomorrow

If anyone feels inclined to send up a wooney little puppy prayer for me, I would be eternally grateful! Because after some further discussion with the breeder, I have a little concern that the puppy I chose at 4 1/2 weeks of age has grown to be one of the more boisterous ones in the litter. That may or may not actually be the case, but there are 5 other puppies remaining that are unclaimed, so I asked the breeder if it would be too much hassle for me to watch "my" puppy and the remaining puppies to re-evaluate my decision. It is important to me that I chose a very calm puppy .

So just prayer that I would choose the best puppy for our family, would be the best thing ever. I'm a little nervous and VERY excited!!! PUPPY DAY!!!

I shall be back with pictures

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to duckwithoneleg For This Useful Post:
afternoonrain (05-11-2013), Autumn (05-11-2013), dakotablue (05-12-2013), jujubnme (05-11-2013), kwisie (05-11-2013), LoveIsGentle (05-11-2013), mollobe (05-11-2013), Mommainrwanda (05-11-2013), Radosny Matka (05-19-2013), shaslove (05-13-2013), Stiina (05-11-2013), Tandem mama (05-11-2013)
The Following 6 Users Say they are praying for duckwithoneleg:
Autumn (05-11-2013), Johns_Gal (05-11-2013), jujubnme (05-11-2013), Radosny Matka (05-19-2013), shaslove (05-13-2013), Tandem mama (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #72
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

Puppy daaaayyyyy,!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-11-2013), Johns_Gal (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #73
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you get the best possible pup for your family.
duckwithoneleg (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #74
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

but not worried

The Following User Says Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #75
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

Then just go for a walk!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-11-2013), Tandem mama (05-11-2013)