Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #31
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::) (Edit: MORE pics, post 8 :giggl

oh my word...

I love the family stories
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #32
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::) (Edit: MORE pics, post 8 :giggl

There's a special place in my heart for Saints! My uncle raised them when I was growing up. He once bred his girly, Bridget, and she had like 12-15 puppies in one litter. (I really think it was 15 but maybe it was just 12 ) But I the movie Beethoven at the time so that made them even cooler. I used to write stories about Bridget.

My dogs are annoyingly frightened of large breed dogs. And its so sad cus they will bark and try to seem scary when the giant breed dogs are the most peaceful ones.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #33
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

super cute

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #34
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute

CUTE!!! Can I ask why they stay with the parents until 12 weeks? I mean, I know they're supposed to stay with mom for at least 8 because of some specific stuff mom teaches her pups in the last couple weeks (had a breeder friend say "never trust a breeder who will let pups go before 8 weeks") but I've never heard to wait until 12.
Ian
: 9/07
Claire: 2/10
Owen: 4/13
mollobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mollobe For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollobe View Post
CUTE!!! Can I ask why they stay with the parents until 12 weeks? I mean, I know they're supposed to stay with mom for at least 8 because of some specific stuff mom teaches her pups in the last couple weeks (had a breeder friend say "never trust a breeder who will let pups go before 8 weeks") but I've never heard to wait until 12.
It's socialization stuff, learning from their mama, etc...

There is a lot of conflicting stuff out there. Lots of people will say it is optimal for puppies to stay with their litter/mamas until 12 weeks. But with 8-12 weeks being optimal socialization time, it is a little -y ...

Anyway, Afternoonrain spoke with the breeder yesterday and she said we can come get them any day after May 10th, which would put them at 10wks and a few days if we went that weekend.

We're thinking we might. Because that's nearly 11 weeks, and then we'd still have a week and a halfish with them still in their socialization window to take them into our lives and go and do. It could be like the best of both worlds, we think

Welcoming all prayers for a sticky duckling this time

At the end of time, I will kiss you all over your face.

Last edited by duckwithoneleg; 04-04-2013 at 08:03 PM.
duckwithoneleg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to duckwithoneleg For This Useful Post:
dakotablue (04-23-2013), Johns_Gal (04-05-2013), mollobe (04-04-2013), Mommainrwanda (04-04-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #36
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I'd totally go scoop them up at ten weeks, and proceed to take them to every hardware store (Lowe's, etc, allows dogs), pet store, park and everything I could think of. Long as they've had a parvo vaccine anyway.

They need to learn from mama and nurse if she'll still allow it, but exposing them to every surface, person, sound and vehicle you can is awesome for them.
afternoonrain (04-23-2013), duckwithoneleg (04-05-2013), mollobe (04-05-2013), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #37
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
I'd totally go scoop them up at ten weeks, and proceed to take them to every hardware store (Lowe's, etc, allows dogs), pet store, park and everything I could think of. Long as they've had a parvo vaccine anyway.

They need to learn from mama and nurse if she'll still allow it, but exposing them to every surface, person, sound and vehicle you can is awesome for them.
Yesssss!!!

Except the stupid Lowes' in our town no longer allows dogs. I don't know why. But it irks me. Maybe I'll try to sneak him in anyway. Maybe he'll be too irresistible for them to turn us out

The Following User Says Thank You to duckwithoneleg For This Useful Post:
mollobe (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #38
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckwithoneleg View Post
Yesssss!!!

Except the stupid Lowes' in our town no longer allows dogs. I don't know why. But it irks me. Maybe I'll try to sneak him in anyway. Maybe he'll be too irresistible for them to turn us out
Try the home dept then...and the feed store
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #39
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
Try the home dept then...and the feed store
I don't think our town has a home depot ... (boonies )... BUT! Yus! I forgot the feed store!!!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #40
Glitterfish
Rose Garden

That's not grey in my hair, it's glitter growing from my head. Duh. (formerly of the sstarcake variety)

Glitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any malls w/ picture places in them near you? We had pics done w/ our dog at one of those mall places, and we walked around the mall w/ her while we were waiting for the pics to process No one said a word! Well, she was a shepherd mix, so one person did say, "Oh, she's so beautiful! I wish I could pet her, but I know she's working!" She was on a regular leash and carrying a blue koala in her mouth.... definitely not a working dog!

Punky
Peanut
Stinker
two we never got to hold
and one due in May 2015

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!". ~Mythbusters
Glitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Glitterfish For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (04-05-2013), Johns_Gal (04-05-2013), kwisie (04-05-2013), mollobe (04-05-2013), Stiina (04-06-2013), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #41
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarcake View Post
Do you have any malls w/ picture places in them near you? We had pics done w/ our dog at one of those mall places, and we walked around the mall w/ her while we were waiting for the pics to process No one said a word! Well, she was a shepherd mix, so one person did say, "Oh, she's so beautiful! I wish I could pet her, but I know she's working!" She was on a regular leash and carrying a blue koala in her mouth.... definitely not a working dog!
I love that!

Afternoonrain and I are talking a lot about socializing with a mindset towards building a foundation for therapy dog training. Trying to think of scripts to say to people that will encourage them that yes, we want them to pet our puppies , but also to please wait until they are not jumping up or pawing. Sitting politely is what we want, and then affection... 'cause we don't want them bouncing on people when they are huge - but we DO want lots of strangers loving on them

Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #42
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::)

I had a St. Bernard growing up, and would LOVE another one. Aside from the drool, they are amazing dogs.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #43
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might be surprised how fast they can learn "down". If they're mellow, listeny types... IMHO those are easiest to train, second only to bright little herding dogs who are all "Yes human, please oh please teach me!" Chill pups generally want to learn, and once they get it, they get it. IME, anyway. Not that aren't still babies, and aren't still going to be goofballs, but y'know.

It's the high energy bundles of hyper that make you . Which, no offense meant, but... a dog who takes himself through plate glass after a moth.... he just sounds kinda hyper.
Damselfly (05-17-2013), duckwithoneleg (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #44
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
I think you might be surprised how fast they can learn "down". If they're mellow, listeny types... IMHO those are easiest to train, second only to bright little herding dogs who are all "Yes human, please oh please teach me!" Chill pups generally want to learn, and once they get it, they get it. IME, anyway. Not that aren't still babies, and aren't still going to be goofballs, but y'know.

It's the high energy bundles of hyper that make you . Which, no offense meant, but... a dog who takes himself through plate glass after a moth.... he just sounds kinda hyper.
Quite far from offended - that's actually incredibly validating

He was (is) hyper. Oh... So so hyper O.o

Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #45
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

Our daisy who had to move out was hyper! Oh your thread is making me have puppy fever!!

As far as scripts to use with people, if you see someone looking like they're going to pet the pup, just say, "if you'd like to love on him, please wait until he's sitting and calm. We're working on his manners right now."

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
afternoonrain (04-23-2013), duckwithoneleg (04-06-2013), mollobe (04-06-2013)