Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Switching cat with stomach trouble to wet food. Update p10

My cat is often nauseous (licking lips) and vomits.She has been this way since we got her 4 years ago. We think she is about 10 years old. I tried switching to a more expensive dry food recently that says it helps with digestion but she has the same problem. Some times when she vomits the food is not even chewed. I looked online to see what I could do to help and I came across this article http://cats.lovetoknow.com/Foods_to_...tinal_Problems.

It looks like grain-free wet food is what she needs. She has never eaten anything that wasn't dry food. No cooked or raw meat that we ever offered or any regular wet food. She will eat cake, cookies, and crackers . I have a cat addicted to processed and junk foods!

How can I convince her to eat wet food? I'm looking at trying Natures Variety Instinct or EVO.
Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Last edited by LearningMama; 09-06-2013 at 08:04 AM.
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching cat with stomach trouble to wet food.

We switched one of ours over by putting some kibbles in with the canned food, kind of smushed on top. We didn't use much canned.

Then the same with more canned, then about like that but with the kibble softened with water. Then just canned.

I think it took about five days.

Some cats just like canned and happily eat it so it may be a non-issue
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
LearningMama (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

If you figure it out, let me know?

Similar issues here. Needs wet food. Won't touch it. Total carb queen.

Nothing doing, not happening, you are a horrible cat owner for even presenting me with this swill.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

Our female cat often throws up her dry food. I tried giving her wet food, and that's an even worse mess to clean up.

I want to switch her to a raw food diet, but that would mean switching all of the cats (there's only 3 now); I think they'd all benefit from a raw diet but the time mental energy involved in researching how to do it correctly isn't available right now.

I hope what you've found works, and if it does, please let us know.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

our cat has to have wet food as well she can tollorate a LITTLE high quality strictly grain free hard food but not much (we sometiem give her a tony bit to top her off) when we switched we just combined wet with dry untill she was all wet food.
We did a lot of high priced grain free wet food most which worked really well but the price was insane easily $70 or more a month for car food. Now she gets Sheba brand which is around $.50-.55 a can (gets 2 a day) http://www.sheba.com/Products their products might not be all organic whole non processed stuff but they are all grain and corn free which is what we needed.
Our cat also does get some raw food diet but more when it is convient to me than a regular part of her diet.
LearningMama (08-31-2013), SilverMoon (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
our cat has to have wet food as well she can tollorate a LITTLE high quality strictly grain free hard food but not much (we sometiem give her a tony bit to top her off) when we switched we just combined wet with dry untill she was all wet food.
We did a lot of high priced grain free wet food most which worked really well but the price was insane easily $70 or more a month for car food. Now she gets Sheba brand which is around $.50-.55 a can (gets 2 a day) http://www.sheba.com/Products their products might not be all organic whole non processed stuff but they are all grain and corn free which is what we needed.
Our cat also does get some raw food diet but more when it is convient to me than a regular part of her diet.
Why did you switch your cat to wet food? It's she doing just as well with Sheba? I'm glad you recommended it. I may try that instead of the more pricy food.

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40
Old 08-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Weezie
Rose Garden

A sign of God's love...

Weezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond repute

Dude. Both of our cats that have been on wet had NO issues switching from dry to wet. They heard that can open and came RUNNING. It was a PITB to switch them BACK to dry though.
Beansie (8 yrs)
Trooper (toddling around)

The Boo and The Boy too
Daytime "second mother" to Cindy Lou Hoo and Petunia too
Currently DF and WF for trooper
Weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningMama View Post
Why did you switch your cat to wet food? It's she doing just as well with Sheba? I'm glad you recommended it. I may try that instead of the more pricy food.
She was vomiting and had bloody loose stools and lots of liter box misses.
this thread http://gentlechristianmothers.com/co...d.php?t=471153 pretty much outlines our journey from low quality dry food to ultra grain free high priced wet food to finding the balance.
She is doing great on the sheba.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute

Our cat throws up pretty much every brand of low & medium quality food we've tried. I'll have to try the grain-free stuff and see if that makes any difference for her.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

Default Re: Switching cat with stomach trouble to wet food. Update p10

The day after I posted I went and bought 2 cans of the Sheba cat food. I bought the chicken pate and chicken cuts.

That evening I put down a layer of her dry food, a small amount of the pate, and another layer of dry food. I came back a few hours later to see if she ate any. She ate all the wet food ! There was an empty spot where the wet food was and dry food on the sides. I was shocked. The next day I took out the dry food and put in more pate. She was watching and came right to the food and started eating . I gave her the rest of the can and she ate most of it there and the rest later. She ate the cuts as just as easily. I decided to stick with pate so that she doesn't have to do any chewing.

I think she really likes this food because she has started doing this new cry when she wants more food. She seems more excited when I bring out the can than she did with the wet food.

She did spit up a hair ball on the second day but there was no food like before, just hair.

I'm really excited. I hope this helps her.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LearningMama For This Useful Post:
MegMarch (09-06-2013), milkmommy (09-06-2013), SilverMoon (09-06-2013), Weezie (09-06-2013), Zooey (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

great update I hope she countinues to do well on it.
LearningMama (09-06-2013)