Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
WildFlower
Banned

WildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond repute
Default gluten free, grain free, or something else?

I really don't know what to do with our diet. Something needs to change. DD has tooth decay and I have been giving her FCLO since February and haven't seen any improvements since then. I wasn't super consistent with it but did pretty good in February but not so much much in March. She had 2 crowns and 1 filling in March. I have started trying to be really consistent with her vitamins, FCLO and cell salts this month.Her 2 front teeth actually look MORE yellow/brownish (not like decay but like the enamel is really thinner and worse) There is now a small spot near her gums that chipped out and does look brownish. She had the white lesions near her gums in march and they are still whitish.

I am using bentonite clay for her teeth, xylitol and some colloidal silver. We have cut out snacky type processed foods and 95% of all sugar. She doesn't get sugary treats but we very rarely occasionally have had icecream or chocolate chips. I mean very very very rarely.

I have this gut feeling we either need to try gluten free or grain free or something. I really want to do more traditional foods but I'm not really sure HOW. I have been wondering if there is any chance she is intolerant to gluten and that's been the cause of part of this. I don't know for sure, but she has had eczema since she was 4 months old. Not bad, but spots here and there. They went away for a while but came back. She's not gaining weight in the last 6 months at ALL. She's only gained 1 1/2 pounds since September. Before that she was gaining fine. And she has decay. SO I don't know if all those things could be adding up to gluten intolerance. Or if we just need to eat a traditional foods diet. I have heard so many people say avoiding grains helped heal their tooth decay along with the FCLO and butter oil. I haven't been giving her the butter oil because she wouldn't take it. But I figured out how to add it to her smoothie so I am going to try really hard to get her to take it too. So maybe that will help.

I hate to go gluten free and then see improvements and then not know if it's the butter oil, cell salts, MI paste or diet changes. Because of gluten free isn't necessary, it seems like a lot of trouble to go to. KWIM?

I am just really confused about what to do next.
We eat alot of pasta, tortillas and some corn chips (in taco salad), whole wheat bread for peanut butter sandwiches. I eat oatmeal for breakfast. That's really all the grains we eat. We don't eat other snacky processed stuff at all anymore. But I think maybe what we do eat is enough processed /grains that it's still not helping her teeth. She is super picky anyway and doesn't eat much grains herself but she's still nursing so she probably gets them from my milk, right?
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gluten free, grain free, or something else?

Yes, still getting them from your milk.

Gluten free isn't nearly the pain in the butt that it may seem, especially if you're not big on eating out. There are SO many excellent options for gluten free foods; it'll be an adjustment, but it shouldn't take too terribly long to get the hang of it. And frankly, gluten isn't good for anyone, so going off it would be beneficial regardless of whether it's causing h issues or not.

Another possibility: get her tested with the ALCAT food sensitivity test and see what comes up. You can get this online.
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NovelMama For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

You might find these an interesting read:
http://www.simplestepsdental.com/SS/...5193/pr.3.html
http://www.simplestepsdental.com/SS/...2783/pr.3.html

http://www.everydayhealth.com/celiac...l-defects.aspx
http://www.celiac.nih.gov/DentalEnamel.aspx
http://sites.google.com/site/jccglut...alenameldefect

It is very, very possible this is a gluten-related issue. And if so, and you are nursing - gluten does transfer in breast milk, just like every other allergen.

http://surefoodsliving.com/celiac-di...e-babies-kids/
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/ce...BreastMilk.htm

For the little one to have celiac though, both parents and any siblings will also need testing.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
WildFlower (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
WildFlower
Banned

WildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for the info on celiac! I really appreciate it and have been reading alot of it. I really am confused at this point. If we go "gluten free" which doesn't seem TOO bad/hard I don't know if that's the right choice, or if it's better to just do a traditional foods diet and elminate gluten as well or not..I mean, even if you are gluten free that doesn't mean that all the bad stuff is gone according to Weston A Price/traditional food/nurtured traditions. I keep reading stuff about other grains like rice as well as beans and stuff being bad for us because of phytic acid and anti nutrients. All that has nothing to do with GF but seems like it would also affect the health of our teeth. I just don't know what the right thing is. We could have DD tested but so far as I've read it's really not accurate in children under 24 months plus there is a high rate of false negatives. I feel like I am grasping at straws trying to figure out what we need to do.
I feel like we are doing alot of things "right" as far as supplements go and such at this point for her and tooth care. But I just don't know what to do next in regards to diet. Just limit processed foods....eliminate all gluten (that part feels like I am just making a wild guess when she doesn't have the digestive issues that others have) or eliminate all grains, or just soak our grains and do more of the nurtured traditions. We don't have alot of resources where we live for things like raw milk or grass fed meat and such either.
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

You can try out a paleo/primal diet which is by nature gluten-free/grain-free . It doesn't require special resources at all.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

www.gapsdiet.com

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
PaperMomma (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that an IgG food panel is an excellent idea.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

http://www.articlesbase.com/alternat...s-1429003.html

Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

I agree an IGG/IGA panel wouldn't be a bad idea, as well as the other testing methods.
If that is not something that is financially available, something like GAPS, Paleo/Primal would work.

The thing is, Gluten free is what you make of it. It can be as processed and bad for you SAD-y as you want, or as healthy as you want. There are GF vegans, vegetarians, those who are 100% grain free, some who are GAPSing, some who are Paleo/Primal, and others who fall between some of all of that, and others with other food allergies that they are taking care of. It's not impossible. It will be hard in the beginning, it has a learning curve, but you will get better at it if that's how you wish to go.
The main questions for any diet are: How do I want to eat? How will I accomplish that? What changes need to be made? How will I work around those?

Once you start stacking those things and know what you have and need to do, it gets easier each day in.

Personally, I make most of my stuff - except for bread. I can't make bread like Schär, Hammermühle and Frei Von... can. I've tried and tried. I've used different yeast, I've allowed it to soak longer, I've kneaded less, I've used psyllium, I've tried flax, I've used both in conjuction, I've tried low heat, no heat, the sun... nothing works to make a good yeast-based bread.

Bread is a requirement for some of JD's meals for kindergarten. So is pasta, rice and potatoes... not every day, but a couple times a month. Below in the spoiler is the menu I make in rotation (GF!) every week. We're on week 3. I have done some of the pasta with things like zuchinni and carrots as the noodles, but they prefer that things look alike because some parents do complain rather loudly if anyone has something different. I do however sneak in veggies where I can. Say there's potatoes, I do carrots too. If it's Spaghetti Carbonera, I sneak in veggies that I've ground. When we have potato wedges, I do sweet and regular potatoes. (come to think of it, we're out of ribbon noodles. oops)

Since my sister is dairy free, I had to learn how to do that. My mom was in a cupcake/cake/bread business there for a while when I was learning the curve of GF, and that included many allergens (corn, dairy, nuts, chocolate, nightshades, eggs, etc.) that I got to learn how to bake around and what works. I got to learn how to do JD's menu without dairy so my sister could try items that she was interested in. That was fun!

There are times our diet is very SAD-y in the evenings (lots of pasta, bread, quick-fix stuff), and I find that happens a lot when I am not well and need DH to help in the kitchen. He goes straight to the pasta and bread. I'm trying to look out for that now as I've sat back and taken mental inventory.

Our diet is rather... ecclectic. A little of every culinary style has found it's way in. That way, I can creatively add in veggies, fruits, meats and such that we would not normally eat - or would get very tired of quickly.

We do allow lentils/beans/peas in our diet. I do not do them every day, but I find ways to put them in there every week or two. I soak my stuff for about 2 days, draining and rinsing them off every 4-6 hours. I've not had problems with them that way and my health actually improved when I had more of them in my diet. I am so desperate for those vitamins and minerals. (I have been told NOT to eliminate those) - I'll make veggie burgers with lentils or black beans.. or a Chipotle/Moe's type meal with beans (refried, kidney and black) in it. I'm southern, so we have black eyed peas once a year.

We also do nuts, as I require many of the vitamins/minerals in that. Even with supplements, I'm missing those things and it's impacted my health.

Our GF items are not vitamin enriched like in the US. I have to work harder to get what I need because my gut was damaged so much. People who don't have as much damage don't have so much of an uphill battle.

Though we are slowly GAPSing along for DH, I've begun using bone broth to make gravy for us (me and the kids). I know grains are strictly verboten, but I need a vehicle to get more broth in, and that was a great way to do it. 1tbs (if that much) of GF flour and almost 2 cups of bone broth is a pretty good combo imho. I had it over hamburgers and had two large veggie sides.

anyway, I seem to have rabbit trailed...
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
milkdud
Rose Trellis

milkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond repute

The book, Cure Tooth Decay Naturally, has been immensely helpful. The kindle version is only $10. If you don't have a kindle, you can download the app for free on the computer and read it online.

I've implemented all of the suggestions and my 2 littlest, have had no more decay and their brown spots have turned black and hardened, which as the book will explain, is a good sign.

In a nutshell, for full benefits, it requires removing grains, and sugars, even naturally occurring, plus adding in nutrient dense foods, like organ meats, broth, pastured dairy, leafy greens. I do allow 1 honey sweetened smoothie daily, bc it's how I can hide some of the healthier foods easily. We didn't have nearly the positive results until we implemented the protocol.
Gobstopper 09/2009
Bit o' Honey 11/2012

11/2003 & 12/2011

Last edited by milkdud; 04-27-2012 at 09:39 AM.
milkdud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milkdud For This Useful Post:
mommychem (04-29-2012), Soliloquy (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

HS-- if you cook lots of veggies in broth and then blend it, it becomes thick like gravy. Or you can reduce it to a syrup.

The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (05-01-2012)