Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #61
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer Canning 2014

Apple Butter time at our house.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #62
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

completed....grape jam, corn, peaches

in process of finishing up...spaghetti sauce, salsa, green beans

need to get started...apple sauce and pie filling. I might do some apple butter. I have four five gallon buckets, one cooler, and three totes full of apples.

I also just picked all of our sweet pumpkins. I am thinking bread and pie filling.

I also need to work up a full box of zucchini into bread.

I started canning in late July...you would think I would be "more finished". I just bought more jars and picked the apples today. OH, we also got some pears, but I think we will just eat those.

by the time I finish it should be hunting season.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-19-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #63
kklibrarian
Moderator to Adoption & Foster Care, Cloth Diapering & EC, Gardening, Infertility, Large Families, and WOHM's

The Famous Belladonna Took

kklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond repute

Today is apple butter, tomatillo lime pepper jam (like a salsa verde but with a jam consistency), and a creation of my own that I'm calling Hummingbird Cake Jam (pineapple, coconut, banana, nuts - like a hummingbird cake but you can spread it on toast).

I also picked up some lavender sugar and will be doing some more Berry Lavender Honey Jam that I did upthread.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jolie (dd) - age practically 20
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Sigh (ds) - age 15 or "thereabouts"
kklibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kklibrarian For This Useful Post:
sprout (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #64
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

today is applesauce and apple pie filling
Old 09-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #65
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about substituting honey for sugar in my next apple butter - does anyone have a general idea of the conversion for that? It calls for 2 cups of sugar. I was thinking 1/4 cup of honey

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
Old 09-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #66
sprout
Rose Garden

I personally would just taste it and see what you like. =) and slowly add more until you get it to where you like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #67
kklibrarian
Moderator to Adoption & Foster Care, Cloth Diapering & EC, Gardening, Infertility, Large Families, and WOHM's

kklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond repute

You may need to reduce the amount of liquid to sub honey for sugar.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 09-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #68
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklibrarian View Post
You may need to reduce the amount of liquid to sub honey for sugar.
I've only used one reciepe and it just said apples, sugar and cinnamon

Old 09-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #69
kklibrarian

Then you should be fine. You might have to cook it a bit longer for it to firm up.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
CelticJourney (09-27-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #70
kklibrarian

Today is more lavender berry jam, more apple butter, and more pear persimmon jam if my persimmons will ever fully ripen. We were in the farmers market last week for the first time. I sold 20 jars of jellies, jams, and preserves! My best sellers were Fig Blueberry Jam and Apple Butter, followed closely by Tomato Pepper Jam. I have plenty of tomato pepper jam already jarred up ready to go for this Saturday, but more apple butter is a must do. I can't make anymore fig blueberry jam because I'm out of frozen figs.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
CelticJourney (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #71
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklibrarian View Post
Today is more lavender berry jam, more apple butter, and more pear persimmon jam if my persimmons will ever fully ripen. We were in the farmers market last week for the first time. I sold 20 jars of jellies, jams, and preserves! My best sellers were Fig Blueberry Jam and Apple Butter, followed closely by Tomato Pepper Jam. I have plenty of tomato pepper jam already jarred up ready to go for this Saturday, but more apple butter is a must do. I can't make anymore fig blueberry jam because I'm out of frozen figs.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #72
kklibrarian

Today, when I get home from work, I'm going to harvest cactus pears to make jam. I have never done this before and will report back on how it goes. The jelly I have seen is this amazing purple color and has a delicate floral taste I've been told.

I made 3 jars of beautyberry jelly with local honey and low sugar pectin. I don't really the texture of low sugar pectin (it's a bit slimy, IMO ). However, this jelly was something that I was doing on a wild-crafting/foraging kick that I've been on lately, and I picked the berries largely because they are supposed to be good for you (high in anti-oxidants, good for rheumatism, building up your immune system, etc.) but they have a very insipid flavor raw. So, I picked them specifically to make jelly with them and wanted to use minimal sugars and combine them with local honey both for the health benefits and to mask some of the less pleasing flavors of the berries themselves.

Using honey at a reduced amount meant that I had to use the low-sugar pectin. It's pretty good and the color is nice if I do say so myself. I just wish the jars didn't have sediment in the bottoms. I know it is nothing to worry about if I was eating them myself, but I like for everything we sell at market to be perfect. I'm thinking of calling it Bee Healthy Jelly..... get it?
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 10-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #73
kklibrarian

The cactus pears were picked, steamed, and juiced last night. Tonight, I make jelly. The color of the juice is GORGEOUS! It's purple and red - almost like beets. I think the jelly is going to be beautiful. I just hope it tastes great. I've got a batch of cactus pears on my property that aren't ripe yet, so if this goes well I should be able to do at least one more batch.

I'm also making more apple butter, lavender berry jam, and pear persimmon jam, I think I'm going to hold off on the beautyberry honey jelly until I perfect things. The batch I made day before yesterday tastes fine, but isn't as aesthetically pleasing as I would like.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
CelticJourney (10-16-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 04:31 AM   #74
kklibrarian

Last night, I made and canned pear persimmon jam, blackberry lavender jam, and cactus pear jelly. They cactus pear jelly is beautiful, and the flavor is mild but pleasant.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
The Tickle Momster (10-17-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #75
CelticJourney
Administrator

We picked a basket and a half of pears from a tree at dh's office today. Now what?

1) do I have to peal them to make pear butter or something. They are small and it might not be worth it (I would pass them along to friends with chickens and goats, so they wouldn't go to waste)

2) do I need to consider adding something else to a butter to give some additional taste - I have access to frozen blueberries and that might taste good.