Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 07-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions for Potential Pediatrician?

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and meeting with two pediatric practices next week to meet all their doctors/NPs.

What are some questions I need to make sure I ask them?

FYI, we do plan to fully vax, although we are delaying at least one vaccine (Hep B), we do not plan to co-sleep with baby in bed (bassinet in room), and I do plan to breastfeed exclusively, if any of that is relevant

TIA!
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions for Potential Pediatrician?

Is there an office policy on vax?
Is there an after hours nurses line?
Do they have a LC in house, or that they refer out to?
How do they support breastfeeding?
Do they have carseat techs or events?
Do they have flu shot clinics or do you have to make a regular appointment?

As far as sleep and solids, imo, unless you have health concerns, pediatricians are just not the ones to ask. They tend to have dated info and aren't experts in those areas
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Llee (07-21-2017), mommychem (07-21-2017), tempus vernum (07-21-2017), Virginia (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMarch View Post
Is there an office policy on vax?
Is there an after hours nurses line?
Do they have a LC in house, or that they refer out to?
How do they support breastfeeding?
Do they have carseat techs or events?
Do they have flu shot clinics or do you have to make a regular appointment?

As far as sleep and solids, imo, unless you have health concerns, pediatricians are just not the ones to ask. They tend to have dated info and aren't experts in those areas
I definitely don't ask parenting related questions. I personally keep those private.

Do they schedule far enough in advance u can schedule next well baby before you leave?
How many doctors are in the practice? Do u float between them or do u get assigned to one?
Do they have visiting rights at the children's hospital?
Do they have digital records? And if yes, do they have a digital chart for parents to View?
Will they come to the hospital to examine after you give birth? Or if not, when will they see the baby for first appointment?
Do they have Saturday appointments? How late are regular "we'll check up" appointments?
Does your schedule allow "same day sick Visits" or send you to urgent care"

I am thinking

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-21-2017), Lady Grey (07-21-2017), mommychem (07-21-2017), Quiteria (07-22-2017), Virginia (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have different waiting areas and exam rooms for well and sick children?

How long does it take to get an appointment (this will vary even within the same office, but you need somewhere you can get in same day if you need to)?

But mostly you want to enjoy talking with them, feel like they are listening to you, etc.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
mamacat (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

One more digital question- if digital is important to you. Do they do digital messaging and digital appointment scheduling?

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (07-21-2017), Virginia (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
One more digital question- if digital is important to you. Do they do digital messaging and digital appointment scheduling?
oh, yes, and digital lab/test results

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My ped didn't ask if we co-sleep. Ped asked if we had a separate area for baby to sleep. I said yes. We have a pack n play set up. And we have a co-sleeper that goes wherever, including in the bed. She did sleep in it the first two nights before I wasn't "afraid of her" lol and moved her into bed. She slept a couple of hours in the pack n play too.

I wouldn't engage on any topic outside of *relevant* medical issues with a ped.

I guess I'd ask about bili blanket v admission for jaundice.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-21-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 AM   #8
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Consultation with one practice this morning and another practice Thursday morning. Thanks to y'all, I am armed with some great questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-25-2017), Soliloquy (07-25-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 07:02 AM   #9
Virginia
Rose Garden

I'm sorry to hear about the negative experiences.

We don't use the hospital that's connected to the university/med school We use a different network of hospitals. But being here near the med school means there's no shortage of doctors and nurses, unlike in a more rural area

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
mamacat (07-31-2017), Soliloquy (08-01-2017), tempus vernum (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah just threw that in there because some people equate the big teaching hospitals with the best dr.s and latest technology care and sometimes much better to use the other medical centers available

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-31-2017), Virginia (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Yeah just threw that in there because some people equate the big teaching hospitals with the best dr.s and latest technology care and sometimes much better to use the other medical centers available

Ah gotcha. Thanks

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 08-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We've always been happy with a provider in solo practice or with just one partner. The times we've gone to a large clinic it's been a less than stellar experience. Our whole family sees the same HCP and it's really wonderful.

Personally, I love a research/teaching hospital when no one can figure out what is wrong. We've had multiple bad experiences in the ER of community hospitals.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-01-2017), mamacat (08-02-2017), tempus vernum (08-01-2017), Virginia (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
We've always been happy with a provider in solo practice or with just one partner.

Personally, I love a research/teaching hospital when no one can figure out what is wrong.
and we have two great providers who are solo practitioners. And I have FINALLY gotten accepted into the research facility for my concussions . While they know what's wrong, no one can figure out how to fix my visual perceptive/spatial issues.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-01-2017), Llee (08-01-2017), Virginia (08-01-2017)
The Following User Says they are praying for tempus vernum:
Quiteria (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

I find that true too about big university children's hospitals. We have a well known, well recognized university children's hospital about 2 hours from us straight down the highway or we can choose to drive 2 hours over state roads (minimal highway) to another children's hospital that better meets our family's needs. We choose to go to the second, even before we had family in the area.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-31-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #15
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I do all the required ( but not all the recommended ) vax. I still pushed my ped when looking to find one who was ok with not vaxing because I wanted a Dr who would work with me and not just tell me what to do. The vax question was an easier in to ask to get a call on wheather they would work worth parents who they disagreade with than many of the other picible situations.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Virginia (08-02-2017)