Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Entrees / Main Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #166
racheepoo
Deactivated

Don't confuse what is with what is possible.

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want a new chicken recipe?

Okay, you asked for it

Country Captain
2.5 lb frying chicken, cut into pieces
14 C flour
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
5 T butter
1/3 C finely diced onion
1/3 C finely diced green pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed
1.5 t curry powder
1/2 t thyme
2 C canned stewed tomatoes
3 lbs. dried currants, washed and drained
Blanced toasted almonds (doesn't say how much)
Chutney

Dredge chicken pieces in flour seasoned with pepper. Heat butter in a large skillet and brown the chicken parts on all sides. Add more butter if necessary Remove chicken from the skillet and add onion, green pepper, and seasonings. Cook briefly, stirring until the onion wilts. Add the tomatoes with liquid, and return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up. Cover and cook until tender (30 minutes or so). Stir the currants into the sauce. Serve with blanched toasted almonds and chutney.
racheepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
BlessedBookworm (07-21-2013), charla (09-02-2012), StumblinMama (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #167
chasingbutterflies
Rose Garden

chasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond repute

I love how that recipe just throws "chutney" in at the end.

Also, 14 cups of flour???

chasingbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasingbutterflies For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #168
kwisie
Rose Garden

kwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond repute

What in the world is chutney?

Wielder of the Sparkly Pencil of Sneak-Attack Silliness.
Flowery Sunshine Power Woman
kwisie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwisie For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #169
racheepoo
Deactivated

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, woops. 1.4 cups of flour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chutney

Pretty sure my mom has never ever seen the word chutney.
The Following User Says Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
kwisie (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #170
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Who would have ever thunk you would have to wash dried currants? Wouldn't that be like washing raisins?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
kwisie (09-02-2012), racheepoo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #171
racheepoo
Deactivated

One would think

K, one more bonus unless someone wants another one.

Chicken Hash
3 medium size baking potatoes peeled and diced
6 slices bacon, cut into 1" strips and cooked until crisp (optional)
1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 C green onion, chopped
3/4 C celery, diced
2 C cooked, skinned, cubed chicken
1 C half and half
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in 1 qt saucepan. Add potatoes, set lid askew and cook for 5 minutes. Drain potatoes, let dry, add to small amount of oil in heavy skillet, along with onions, celery, and chicken. Cook on medium high, stirring, brown slightly, about 3 minutes. Lower heat and add 1/2 and 1/2, pressing down on mixture. Let liquid cook off completely, then scrape up any crust that forms and mix into hash. Repeat with the rest of the 1/2 and 1/2. This should take about 12 minutes. Add seasonings and crumble bacon on top. Serves 6.

Wow. I typed it exactly as it was written.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #172
kwisie
Rose Garden

kwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not understanding what she means by the "(optional)" by the bacon. How can that be optional?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kwisie For This Useful Post:
charla (09-02-2012), chasingbutterflies (09-02-2012), LoveIsGentle (09-02-2012), racheepoo (09-02-2012), StumblinMama (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #173
racheepoo
Deactivated

It was written as a low salt cookbook.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
kwisie (09-02-2012), StumblinMama (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #174
kwisie
Rose Garden

Ahhhh, that explains your addition of chutney.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwisie For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (09-04-2012), racheepoo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #175
racheepoo
Deactivated

I swear it was in there
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (09-04-2012), kwisie (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #176
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Low salt??
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StumblinMama For This Useful Post:
kwisie (09-02-2012), racheepoo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #177
NeshamaMama
Rose Garden

Formerly emilik :)

NeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond repute

I want one, I want one!

Last year we couldn't have dairy (so I missed out on the 'cream of' soup recipes, darn!), this year we CAN have dairy but no gluten (which I found out today STILL means we can't do cream of soups DARN IT). Whaddaya got?

Christopher
(INTP)

Mama to
Mayah Evangeline (01/10
)
and
Miriam Anneliese (05/12)
Living simply and loving my God!

NeshamaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #178
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I can just see it now: "But, doctor, I have no idea how my blood pressure got so high. I've been eating low-salt. It says so right on the cookbook, I swear."
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
chasingbutterflies (09-02-2012), kwisie (09-02-2012), Llee (09-02-2012), Mommainrwanda (09-02-2012), racheepoo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #179
racheepoo
Deactivated

Oh, do I have a recipe for you.

Party Chicken Salad
1.5 C cubed canned pineapple
3 ripe bananas, cubed
1.5-2 C diced chicken
1/2 C finely chopped celery
1/2 C mayo (or low calorie salad dressing)

Mix pineapple with bananas to prevent discoloration. Dilute mayo with pineapple juice or cream to right consistency. Use dressing sparingly and mix lightly with other ingredients. Serve on crisp greens, garnish with whole almonds or any chopped nuts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
BlessedBookworm (07-21-2013), crunchymum (09-04-2012), NeshamaMama (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #180
Serendipity
Deactivated

GCM, thanks for the memories.

Serendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. My goodness.

I'm not sure if my heart is still beating. I just read this entire thread and was nearly as mortified as I was living through the death hole experience. I got to the chicken under a brick recipe and laughed so hard I nearly busted my spleen. I was imagining Rabbit suggesting to make it to cover up an accidental murder scene...ya know, if you accidentally throw a brick at your husband's head play it off as a kitchen tragedy.

Graphic murder description

I'd like a stuffed chicken recipe.

Last edited by Serendipity; 09-02-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Because my phone makes me look stoopid.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Serendipity For This Useful Post:
bec28 (09-03-2012), Blue-EyedLady (09-02-2012), Mommainrwanda (09-02-2012), racheepoo (09-02-2012)