Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default pickled beets?

Has any one ever made any?

I have a lot of beets from my CSA, and my grandmother likes pickled beets so I thought I would make her some but the recipes she sent me are missing things like proseessing times.

I can't find any recpies on my trusted canning recipe sights (but that may be becase I can't search well with a toddler typeing with me )
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pickled beets?

Oooh, I pickled beets! I grow beets every other year because that's how long my recipe keeps.

I've been using a recipe that was published in Country Living a while back. I used to have a bookmark to it, but the page is gone and I'm having trouble finding it with a google search, whick is odd. If I can't find it, I'll grab my hard copy and type it up for ya.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Country Living Spicy Pickled Beets

3 quarts prepared beets*
2 cups sugar
2 sticks cinnamon
1 tablespoon whole allspice
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Note: I use coarse, not table salt.
3 1/2 cups vinegar (5% or greater) Note: I've used 7% and found it too strong
1 1⁄2 cups distilled or filtered water
Note: Clean, potable tap water is fine.

* To prepare: wash, drain and trim beets, leaving 2 inches of stems and the large tap roots on the beet. Cover with boiling water and cook until tender. Let them drain until just cool enough to handle, then chop them into pickled beet sized pieces, or slices if you prefer.

Combine the remaining ingredients (tie spices in cheesecloth) and add to the beets in a large pot over low heat. Simmer 15 minutes.

In the meantime, prepare your jars and lids by boiling them to sterilize. Note: I sterilize jars but follow directions for prepping clean snap lids, which say specifically not to put them in boiling water.

Remove spice pouch. Pack beet pieces into hot jars, leaving 1⁄4-inch head space. Pour hot pickling liquid over the tops of the beets in each jar. Apply lids.

Process 30 minutes in boiling water canner.

Store jars in a cool, dark place and let set for 6-8 weeks before opening. Consume within 8 months. Note: I store my jars in a very cool, dark basement and they consistently keep for two years with no change in texture or taste. I believe this recipe was published in 2004 or 2005, give or take a couple of years, so while it's not current, I trust its safety. DH and I are big on doing everything by the book when it comes to canning.

ETA: They mean it when they say not to open the jars for 6 to 8 weeks. The spices really need to mellow and combine for that time. I will say, too, that while I think these are the BEST pickled beets on God's green earth () some people (like my mom, who likes everything either bland or over-the-top sweet) think they're too spicy. To them, I say phooey.

Last edited by Macky; 01-27-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (01-27-2012), knitlove (01-27-2012), Zooey (01-29-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Canned beets that aren't pickled are a great favourite of my oldest daughter. I don't know how to do them but I think it would be similar to canning carrots or something. My dad does them.

Just be careful, if you have both types in the pantry, not to heat up and serve pickled beets as a side dish. I'll tell you, they are NOT tasty when hot. Blech!
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

thank you that is much newer than the one my Granny sent me that was from the 40's I think.

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Macky (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm! I love pickled beets. Around here they are often made with pickledhard boiled eggs (blech, the eggs I don't like).

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

I love pickled beets too. Don't know how to make them though.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Marzipan
Deactivated

Marzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond repute

Ohmygoodness, I want some pickled beets RIGHT NOW. I made a big jar once, of refrigerator pickles and they were SO good. And I lost the recipe.
Marzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

Marzipan, I did that with a REALLY awesome ministrone soup recipe.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
knitlove
Rose Garden

heaving never really heard of pickled beets until I was talking to my mom about what to do with all the beets we got, I feel like maybe I have been missing some thing with all of you talking about it.

So with your influence I will now try some and not jsut send them all off to my Granny.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Macky
Deactivated

Except that we'll have to wait at least six weeks to find out if you liked them!

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

I totally forgot to pull out a jar last night with supper. I was all keen on a pile of pickled beets with my favourite stuffed chicken breast recipe, roasted baby potatoes and asparagus... because of your thread, of course. I needed a new jar from the basement, though, so I forgot about them. I'll just have to have a little dish of them for lunch.

The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-28-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

will I need to peel them?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canadiyank For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Kernigemom

Ooo, I love pickled beets, and I love eggs in pickled beet juice even better! What I really want to try is fermenting beets, like sauerkraut.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Macky
Deactivated

Don't peel them before you boil them. When they're done cooking, you drain them and dump them into a big bowl or clean sink full of cold water. Start rubbing the beets with your hands once they've cooled enough to handle. The peel will start sliding off super easy. Just keep rubbing it off until all the peel is gone. Even the top bit of the beet where the leaves grew from will rub off and leave a nice clean top. You can pinch off that couple inches of thin root that you left on while boiling (leaving some top and root on while boiling helps colour retention somewhat). Careful when you're doing all this because beets stain if you don't take care of splashes right away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-09-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Macky
Deactivated

Oh jeepers... I just realized that I forgot to say in the recipe that that 30 min. processing time is for 500 ml (US pint) jars only. I don't know what the time would be with a smaller or larger jar, but it would definitely be different. Hope this info isn't too late!