Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dehydrated Foods

I have been experimenting with dehydrating veggies/fruit this fall.

Here's what I have done so far this year:

~Apples (rings)--these are a success- I did them last year and dh requested them a week or so ago to bring to work and snack on. I've done about 8 pounds of apple rings...which breaks down to about a gallon and a half of dried apple rings.

~Onion - these did not dry as crisp as they did when we lived in CO. I had them in the Excalibur for 24 hours and I don't imagine leaving them in any longer will make them any crispier. Must have to do with the humidity in OH.

~Beets - I was hoping these would turn out crispy, sort of like the Terra chips...but they are more like fruit leather. I cooked them, then ran them through my food processor to slice about 1/8" thick...let them go 24 hours...still leathery. Not sure they are going to go over well with the kids...have yet to see how I like the rehydrated version.

Maybe if I didn't cook them, they would be crispier? But then I don't think my food processor could handle slicing hard beets.

~Summer Squash- the yellow ones I sliced in the food processor in rounds, and the zucchini I had to half lengthwise and run through the food processor. These are leathery as well.

I still have kale in the garden, a tiny bit of chard, more beets, and green beans. As well as some herbs (mainly basil, if it's not too late to harvest--the plants have already flowered) and possibly elderberries just for the heck of it. And maybe rose hips if it's not too late.

I really want to do dried mushrooms, but am waiting for a good sale before I do that again. The last time I did that, they added great flavor to soups and stews!

Also, I want to do some dried meat (jerky w/o MSG, and basic meats such as ground beef and chicken) to add to soups/stews.

I would love some recipes to assemble these dried foods into jarred/bagged mixes to quickly make in the wintertime.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dehydrated Foods

We just bought our own dehydrater. Previously I had been borrowing my il's every time I wanted to dry apples or make fruit leather.

So far I've only dehydrated long slices of zucchini. I want to try them out instead of noodles for a gluten-free lasagna.

I might try drying blueberries, or a blueberry/apple fruit leather this week. Ohh, and next week peaches. I buy them from TJs so regularly that I should try drying my own.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Rea T
Deactivated

Growing into something beautiful...

Rea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished my 2nd load of tomatoes yesterday. (Borrowed my IL's 5 rack Excalibur) I hadn't really though about trying anything else. Well, I did some mulberries earlier in the summer...too much work for a little tiny bagful at the end.

Don't have much in the way of recipes, but I will say that dried tomatoes whirred in the blender with some balsamic vinegar, olive oil and water makes a yummy dressing!
Rea T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rea T For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (08-27-2011), RiverRock (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
We just bought our own dehydrater. Previously I had been borrowing my il's every time I wanted to dry apples or make fruit leather.

So far I've only dehydrated long slices of zucchini. I want to try them out instead of noodles for a gluten-free lasagna.

I might try drying blueberries, or a blueberry/apple fruit leather this week. Ohh, and next week peaches. I buy them from TJs so regularly that I should try drying my own.
Excellent idea! (I wonder if I should try yellow squash that way...don't have big zucchini...)

A have some corn on the cob from a relative cooking a bit on the stove and am going to cool it and try drying it for soups and such.

Dh just came and showed me a few ears of our own sweet corn.

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Last edited by Lady TS; 08-27-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
JustMandy
Deactivated

Location: Among the tall straight pines of the coastal plain.
JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute

subbing
JustMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

I've posted on my blog what I have done so far. (see siggy below)

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 08-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

Subbing. I don't have a dehydrator but I know some people who do and I what to get all the use I can out of whatever produce is given to me.
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, you totally need a spiralizer. You could make zucchini "noodles" and dehydrate them like thin spaghetti. That would be cool! and a spiralizer can slice hard beets and root veggies a bunch of different ways.

ETA- you can also dehydrate tomatoes, then grind them into powder & use for all kinds of stuff.
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
JustMandy
Deactivated

Location: Among the tall straight pines of the coastal plain.
JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute

What can you use tomato powder for?

I just got a dehydrator from a thrift store two days ago. I intended to make vegetable "chips". I'm disappointed to hear they ware more like leathers. Anyone know if I can make crispy chips?
Posted via Mobile Device
JustMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
hbmamma
Deactivated

hbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to behold

hbmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMandy View Post
What can you use tomato powder for?

I just got a dehydrator from a thrift store two days ago. I intended to make vegetable "chips". I'm disappointed to hear they ware more like leathers. Anyone know if I can make crispy chips?
Posted via Mobile Device
mine always get crispy, just dehydrate them longer.

you can use tomato powder in broths, chili, soups, dips (mix w/sour cream and spices or cream cheese,) add to sauces, alfredo is awesome w/some tomato powder, spreads, mix with dry spices and use on your chips (you can do sweet or spicy chili flavored, pizza flavored, Italian flavored, etc by using spices, sweetener, nutritional yeast and such.) that's just off the top of my head, but you can probably find a ton if you google.

ETA- you can also dehydrate eggplant. If you marinate it in the right stuff first, it kinda tastes like bacon.
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poleidopy For This Useful Post:
JustMandy (08-27-2011), Rea T (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

In one of the GAPS threads, the mamas were talking about veggie chips. From what I gathered, they came out crunchy like you'd expect from a potato chip. You might want to poke Jodi (Sonshinemama) or LisaM and have them come to this thread. I wish we still had a dehydrator.
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

I had my dehydrator at 125* and dehydrated for about 24 hours...though it was a few hours before I got to it to put away. Maybe it was crisp at the end, but with our humidity it softened them right up?

I notice that in my older dehydrating book it says to dry at a higher heat--I have a feeling that might play a part in whether/when things get crispy. I don't think it has anything to do with how thin they were, because I had some that were paper thin and even they weren't crispy.

And of the two books I've been looking at, they vary between them as to whether dried sliced beets should be "leathery" or "brittle". Same with the squash.

With my problems(allergies/gut) with tomatoes, I am staying far, far away. Though I have read about making "bark" from potatoes, pumpkins, winter squash and using it to thicken soup and stews. It was somewhere on www.backpackingchef.com that I read that.

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

The Following User Says Thank You to Lady TS For This Useful Post:
hbmamma (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

First, love your avi

I've only done zucchini. I plan on doing tomato soon. I do want to branch out though so subbing!