Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute
Default ... And I'm the Strict One!

Well, ladies, do you know what's a show-stopper in a nicely chatting group of Christian Mommies?

It's when the strictest parent there casually mentions that she doesn't spank. Here's the circle of my friends and acquaintances when I mentioned it:

Friend 1: "You don't???"
Me: "Yeah, I used to, but I haven't in a long time."
Friend 2: "Really?"
Me: "I try not to do anything harsh at all, really."
Friend 1: "Well... but... your kids are angels."
Friend 2: "Some kids just don't need it."
Friend 1: "Yeah, I had one that spanking didn't work for."
Friend 2 to 1: "It's not the right tool for every child."
Friend 1 to me: "You can leave if you want to, if you think it's cruel."
Me: "No, I just think it's unnecessary."
Friend 2: "Well... you've got angels."

Conversation continues on which kids "need" it, with lots of "funny" stories. Apparently, their various children's persistent poor habits means the Mom should do more of what they are already doing (spanking), but the consistent excellence of my children has nothing to do with my methods: they were born that way.

Do these people really believe random selection gave me two angels, that I never had to really parent 'the hard way' -- while they received an assortment of challenges my methods could never meet? I should extra-respect them for raising more difficult children, beyond my scope of experience? Even if they "have to" hit these challenging children, and even if hitting them isn't showing any benefits!

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to bolt. For This Useful Post:
a good book under a tree (06-15-2012), ArmsOfLove (06-23-2012), BarefootBetsy (06-07-2012), CelticJourney (06-09-2012), CJNeeley (07-12-2012), Codi (06-05-2012), dulce de leche (06-12-2012), Elyse221 (06-05-2012), HadassahSukkot (06-25-2012), Jessica (06-13-2012), katiekind (06-05-2012), Llee (06-06-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), MaiMama (06-05-2012), MaryPoppinsIAin't (06-07-2012), melliethepooh (06-05-2012), PaperMomma (06-05-2012), PrincessAnika (06-05-2012), Quiteria (06-05-2012), Rabbit (06-05-2012), ReadingMommy (06-05-2012), rosesnsnails (06-12-2012), RubySlippers (06-05-2012), saturnfire16 (06-08-2012), shaslove (06-13-2012), staceylayne (06-05-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), SweetCaroline (06-18-2012), SweetMelissa (06-07-2012), swimming with sharks (06-05-2012), The Tickle Momster (06-05-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012), Whirlwind (07-02-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ... And I'm the Strict One!

Last time I checked, being a Mama is hard work, whether you spank or not. I've been accused of being strict, and accused of not being strict enough. So, whatever.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (06-23-2012), MercyInDisguise (06-05-2012), Peridot (06-07-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get told all the time that I didn't spank because I didnt need to (ie my kids were easier than their kids). Sigh.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
ReadingMommy (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant analysis, bolt. But even though that must have been a frustrating conversation, I expect that won't be the end of the matter. I bet that they will watch the mothering you model and pick up useful ideas from it.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (06-23-2012), Barefoot Bookworm (06-05-2012), BarefootBetsy (06-07-2012), bec28 (06-05-2012), Damselfly (06-05-2012), dulce de leche (06-12-2012), filmgirl2911 (06-05-2012), Jessica (06-13-2012), L-Boogie (06-05-2012), Llee (06-06-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), MercyInDisguise (06-05-2012), Niphredil (06-05-2012), PrincessAnika (06-05-2012), RiverRock (06-12-2012), Rugayatu (06-07-2012), schmamy (06-06-2012), staceylayne (06-05-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), SweetMelissa (06-07-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-07-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012), WingsOfTheMorning (06-05-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
bec28
Rose Garden

bec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say the same thing Kathy did, but she put it much more eloquently then I would have
staying at home and loving it! learning to be a more grace filled, gentle mama
bec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

I love how they gave you permission to leave, as though they were your authority too.
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaiMama For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (06-05-2012), rjy9343 (06-07-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, that's just a Canadian-ism, more like, "Don't feel you have to stay if you'd rather not." It was actually quite a friendly conversation. I just found the illogical assumptions amusing.

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute

I have perfect kids too.
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple-Saucy For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (06-05-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-07-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

My immediate family knows we don't, and I think my bff knows. But I've never discussed it with most of our other friends/acquaintances. I'm kind of scared to until my kids are older and past the random melt-down stage...I don't want extra scrutiny when that happens!
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-07-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Sonata

I HATE the "he's so good" or "you're so lucky to have such a sweetie" or variations thereof! Not, mind you, "what good manners he has!" or "he's so polite" or "clearly mom has taught you really well how to talk to adults" or other things that acknowledge that there are skills involved, but the "what a natural angel descended into our lives!"

Similarly, I had a friend in high school who always commented on how "lucky" I was to get better grades than she did. Um, yeah, all that luck accumulated when I was sitting at my desk all night long....
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (06-07-2012), dulce de leche (06-12-2012), Jessica (06-13-2012), joanna (06-12-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), MaiMama (06-06-2012), rosesnsnails (06-12-2012), shaslove (06-13-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-07-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Joyanne
Deactivated

Joyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of light

My dh and I get told that's the only reason we have six children-- we have 'easy' kids.

In Christ,
Joy
Joyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joyanne For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (06-07-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #13
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

I am not the strictest parent, but G rarely disobeys in public (mostly I believe because he isn't as comfortable in public he is rather shy so rarely does anything to need reproof or correction to begin with). M is so content in the Mei Tie most of the time everyone says he must be my easy baby, yes and no.
G was easy in ways M is so difficult and visa versa, they are so different it is impossible to say if one was easier then the other, they are/were both very easy and very difficult. Most people don't know that I've decided not to spank (my husband hasn't come to the same conclusion yet, but he feels that VERY few circumstances require spankings so I have time to work on him ), my parents now know that I don't spank and why, they were confused and concerned at first, but after talking a bit and explaining a few biblical misconceptions they understood and are now supportive !
I do have a few long distance friends that are super Pearl supporters, the wife (a long time friend of mine) sent me CTBHHM (Created To Be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl) at a time when I was very weak spiritually, in knowledge, wisdom, and practice, so I swallowed it hook, line and sinker for about 6 weeks. It put so much pressure on me I decided something was wrong, Jesus came to free us, not give us a shovel to dig a deeper pit. Eventually I found the podcasts of Pastor Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, Wa. The Holy Spirit opened my eye's to SO many different things through his sermons, not just the Pearls, that were wrong in my thinking...it took 6m, but it healed my crumbling marriage, brought peace to my soul like I'd never known before, and began the 2 1/2 year journey to the decision to parent my children with the Grace God has 'parented' me.
Hmmm, didn't expect this post to turn out the way it did...lol, gotta the routes the HS takes us, so unexpected!

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
SuperDudesMama (07-02-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute

This is totally random, but I'll share anyway. (Because I don't really self-censor very well after midnight.) Yesterday as I was watering my plants I was thinking about some GCM conversations and threads and how I really appreciate your input and insight, bolt. And I was mentally bemoaning how I know so very little about you other than what's in your siggy. (Maybe you share more somewhere where I'm not paying attention. )

So anyway, I'm just tickled pink to see a little anecdote from your real life. I feel like I know you better already!

And I second (third?) what Kathy said! So true.

My friends pretty much all know I don't spank and I hear similar things from time to time. It's silly that they can't hear their own inconsistencies and lack of logic. I make liberal use of bean dip, unless someone in a one on one convo is genuinely curious.

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to staceylayne For This Useful Post:
bec28 (06-06-2012), filmgirl2911 (06-06-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), PaperMomma (06-06-2012), ReedleBeetle (06-06-2012), RiverRock (06-12-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #15
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I once had someone tell me "you must have easy children", and the children's minister of the church we were attending was standing next to me. She looked at me; I looked at her, and we both started laughing hysterically.

Think what you want about my parenting, but I don't have easy kids.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MarynMunchkins For This Useful Post:
Heather Micaela (06-08-2012), Johns_Gal (06-07-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), MomtoJGJ (06-07-2012), Peridot (06-07-2012), rjy9343 (06-07-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-07-2012)