Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #31
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Read this Blog? Razing Ruth...

Does anyone know what TWOP is?
NewLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #32
DoulaClara
Rose Garden

DoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond repute

Television Without Pity. A message board that has been around virtually forever, very famous for its biting wit, sarcasm, hilarious posters, and "No soup for you" style of administration.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #33
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the comments? It appears her dad has come on and commented. Shows it as she says it really. Assuming it is her dad. It is the internet after all. I think it is though.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #34
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaClara View Post
Television Without Pity. A message board that has been around virtually forever, very famous for its biting wit, sarcasm, hilarious posters, and "No soup for you" style of administration.
I'm confused about what that has to do with this woman and Gothard. (I'm prepared to be thoroughly by the obvious answer).
NewLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #35
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

It's been years since I felt so compelled by a blog, or wanted to scoop someone up and rock her, and pet her hair, and take her clothes shopping, even though she's a grown woman

I have worked with a LOT of ATI midwifery trainees, and what I've seen from them, this blog is 'spot-on zero exaggeration' I was always sad for those girls, and saw a few escape their parents home through midwifery training.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #36
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
I'm confused about what that has to do with this woman and Gothard. (I'm prepared to be thoroughly by the obvious answer).
the way I understand it, there was a big thread on TwoP about the Duggars and apparently Ruth was a contributor to the discussion there. Then she started her blog as a cathartic and therapeutic way to tell others what life was like for her in an ATI/Gothard family. I think she felt frustrated by the Shiny Happy People Holding Hands image of the Duggars on TLC and wanted to tell fans and critics of the show what her experience was in a family that practices the same approach to religion. (It has been established that the Duggars are ATI people.)

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SortaCrunchy For This Useful Post:
DoulaClara (03-09-2010), duckwithoneleg (03-10-2010), euromom (03-10-2010), NewLeaf (03-09-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 05:24 AM   #37
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone invited her over to GCM, yet?

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #38
DoulaClara
Rose Garden

DoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedBlue View Post
Has anyone invited her over to GCM, yet?
I emailed her over the weekend. She responded a day or so later, thanking me and saying she would check it out. She seems pretty busy- she's putting herself through college and appears to blog fairly frequently, so I'm not sure if she would have time or want to join, but since UPP is public, I'm hoping she sees this and at least realizes that 1) she has many people praying for her, and 2) that this isn't an "either or" situation- Christian parenting/motherhood/women-hood isn't defined by Gothard or anyone, really, and that scripturally, there is a sound base for gentleness and common sense.
AngelaVA (03-09-2010), Beth1231 (03-18-2010), BlessedBlue (03-09-2010), Charity (03-09-2010), duckwithoneleg (03-10-2010), euromom (03-10-2010), katiekind (03-09-2010), Kyasmom (03-09-2010), Psyche (03-10-2010), SortaCrunchy (03-09-2010), sweetpeasmommy (03-09-2010), Victorious (03-09-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #39
amyhntr2
Rose Bouquet

amyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to all

Thank you for this thread! I have been on her blog for the past day and half every free moment I've had. I just finished reading it all, and most of the comments.
I started telling my husband about some of the things she's been through at the hand of Bill Gothard's ministry and teachings. That name rang a bell with him and come to find out the tech school he went to in Texas is a part of ATI!! It's called ALERT Acadamy and Ruth referenced it once in her blog and it made me wonder if it was the same one DH went to. DH has no connection to that ministry in any other way and just happened to get enrolled in the tech school after someone put his parents in contact with it somehow. I asked him if he ever witnessed anything like this, but he wasn't actually around any of the families, just the kids that were part of the school. But they were almost all very very sheltered homeschoolers.

Wife to the life of the party Brad
Mommy to I 6/09 and E 10/11 born at home
Enjoying living in SC and seeing where my journey leads next

amyhntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #40
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

ATI owns an old hotel in downtown Dallas, and I was interviewed by their midwifery school coordinators there, once, as a potential preceptor for their program. Very creepy, that place.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
momyshaver (03-10-2010)
Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #41
Karen

I agree that her blog is sad but it also has joy and inspiration. She is rebuilding her life from ashes. I know her father has been threatening her yet she still perseveres. That is amazing considering the controlling ultra Patriarchy movement she was raised in. I think she is an amazing young woman.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
DoulaClara (03-10-2010), duckwithoneleg (03-10-2010), euromom (03-10-2010)
Old 03-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #42
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedleBeetle View Post
Have you read the comments? It appears her dad has come on and commented. Shows it as she says it really. Assuming it is her dad. It is the internet after all. I think it is though.
if it is her pops, i am for her! i can't believe it! if my dad ever said anything to me like that even one time, i think i'd never recover. bless her heart!

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonintx View Post
It's been years since I felt so compelled by a blog, or wanted to scoop someone up and rock her, and pet her hair, and take her clothes shopping, even though she's a grown woman
THIS. (even though she's ... my exact age )

Last edited by duckwithoneleg; 03-11-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: noticed she was my age hehe
duckwithoneleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #43
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute

ok i just finished reading the whole thing, comments and all

BLESS HER HEART!!!! it just makes me so so sad to know that God is so horribly misrepresented

not that i didn't already know that.

but ya know...

it's the little grains of truth that are mixed in that i think make it SO TOXIC.
awe and her poor mom!
duckwithoneleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #44
amyhntr2
Rose Bouquet

amyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to all

She has two new posts since the last time I read a couple days ago. Her dad posted again too...wow. The deception that he is engulfed in is intense.

Wife to the life of the party Brad
Mommy to I 6/09 and E 10/11 born at home
Enjoying living in SC and seeing where my journey leads next

amyhntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #45
FebFaith
Rose Bouquet

FebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of light

I can't find the comments. I would like to read what her dad has to say. I am so glad and happy for her to be starting over. Praying for her.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

ok, found the comments...