Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #121
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Instant pot!

You know, on a related note I actually do have a bigger crock pot that I used regularly and felt I needed the bigger size.

The reason I don't feel that i Need the bigger size for the Instant pot is that things cook quickly. So while with the crock pot, when I made something like dry beans or bone broth I would make big batches because those take hours (and sometimes days). With the instant pot I never feel the need to cook things in big batches because everything takes such a small time frame.

So one thing to consider when choosing size.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
bananacake (12-16-2016), Llee (12-16-2016)
Old 01-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #122
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I cooked a whole, frozen solid chicken in my Instant Pot tonight.

Last week, I failed at cooking beans in it as a slow cooker. Anyone want to coach me? I thought the instructions said 30 minutes The water wasn't even hot at that point. I'd like to make a black bean soup tomorrow.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #123
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do it as a slow cooker. Set the timer and do manual if you need them done by a certain time and don't want to forget. I usually do pinto beans and add in all the seasoning and salt and lots of water and let it go for an hour. By that time, the beans are really nice and soft. And if I forget that they are in the pot, they stay nice and warm.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #124
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I cooked a whole, frozen solid chicken in my Instant Pot tonight.

Last week, I failed at cooking beans in it as a slow cooker. Anyone want to coach me? I thought the instructions said 30 minutes The water wasn't even hot at that point. I'd like to make a black bean soup tomorrow.
30 min is the time frame for cooking beans at prusher.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
bananacake (01-02-2017), Llee (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #125
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
30 min is the time frame for cooking beans at prusher.

Does the slow cooker function actually work like a slow cooker? Or a slightly faster slow cooker? I'm not sure the soup would be as good on speedy cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
Old 01-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #126
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

Soup is just as good. We used to do red hots cider in the crockpot for 2-3 hours. Now I do it in the IP manual 10 minutes, npr, then put into the crockpot to keep warm and serve from.

The IP slower cooker low is like crockpot keep warm. The IP slow cooker high is like crockpot low.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:40 PM   #127
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I've never used it as a slow cooker and we don't eat beans. I do cook a 2 in thick chuck steak with potatoes and carrots at least once a week and in 40 min it tastes like it was cooked 4-8 hours in a crockpot.

Fwiu it works fine as a slow cooker but you would have to use slow cooker times.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #128
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Oh, I use it as a slow cooker all the time! I LOVE that function of it. I find that it works the same heat wise as my old skool slow cooker. The reason I prefer using it to my old skool slow cooker is because of the lid. I know lots of people LOVE when their house is filled with the delicious aroma of cooking dinner all day long, but I'm home all day and having such a food filled aroma tempt me all day is too hard. So i prefer that lid because it holds in more of the smells.

That said, I do use the pressure cooker function more often.

For beans, I always presoak overnight. I know with the IP you don't *have* to but it's easy and plus presoaking increases the nutritional value of beans (or more specifically makes the nutrients more accessible to your body).

Then I do the manual setting (I've never done the bean setting) for between 20 and 25 minutes depending which bean I'm cooking.

They always come out great.

If your water isn't even hot something went awry. Did the lid seal? Have you had problems with any other dishes or just this one?
Old 01-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #129
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

I find the directions it came with to be super confusing. It says to cook beans for 30 minutes in slow cooker.

Anyway, I have the soup on slow cooker for 7 years. If I check it at that point and it's not done, I can pressure cook it for a few minutes.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #130
2sunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I find the directions it came with to be super confusing. It says to cook beans for 30 minutes in slow cooker.

Anyway, I have the soup on slow cooker for 7 years. If I check it at that point and it's not done, I can pressure cook it for a few minutes.

Wow! Really? 30 minutes in a slow cooker isn't nearly enough. It took about 12 hours for me to cook dried beans (presoaked) when I used the slow cooker.

30 minutes pressure cooker sounds more right. Maybe there is a typo?

I use this table as a guideline:

http://instantpot.com/cooking-time/d...e-and-lentils/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-05-2017), squiddles (02-20-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #131
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I've made this thread a sticky since the instant pot is popular. Hopefully it will make it easier for people to find.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-10-2017), bananacake (02-10-2017), easygoinmomma (12-17-2017), Michele123 (03-02-2017), squiddles (02-20-2017), TraceMama (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #132
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute

I've added this back to my list at Amazon. I think it would help tremendously, since I spend more than 1.5 hours actively cooking every night.

Is the 6 quart size big enough? Can you do a LOT of bone broth, whole chicken, big pot roast in that size? Would anyone recommend the 8 quart instead?

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TraceMama For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #133
2sunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceMama View Post
I've added this back to my list at Amazon. I think it would help tremendously, since I spend more than 1.5 hours actively cooking every night.

Is the 6 quart size big enough? Can you do a LOT of bone broth, whole chicken, big pot roast in that size? Would anyone recommend the 8 quart instead?
Personally I have been very happy with the 6 qt. It cooks more than enough for my family of 6. I didn't want the 8 qt for a few reasons, one being the additional storage space in my kitchen and the 2nd being that too big can also work against you when making smaller batches of things, which I like the option of too.

Here's the biggest thing to keep in mind when choosing sizes. Because everything cooks so quickly, you really eliminate the need of doing massive batch cooking. So for example, I used to use the big crock pot to make a huge batch of dry beans since they take SO. LONG. And then use them up in recipes. Now that I can make them in 25 minutes or so, I don't have the need to make huge batches of beans, but only what I'd use for that meal.

In my 6 qt I make bone broth regularly (one of my most made items in the IP), and have made whole chicken and whole roast with no problems.

That said, if you tend to be a large batch cooker, and prefer to cook extras with leftovers for the next meal or two, you may want to go bigger. I actually prefer to cook just enough for that meal with just the possibility of a little leftovers. I find that the speed of the IP more easily allows me that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
bananacake (02-21-2017), Llee (02-20-2017), TraceMama (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #134
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute

That makes perfect sense, 2Sunshines. Thank you. I think the only thing I'm interested in making large amounts of is bone broth, but....since my freezer is also small, that's not ideal either.

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TraceMama For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-21-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #135
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

I have the 6 quart and it's really ideal for our family size.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (02-20-2017)