Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 03-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation
Default Homemade electrolyte rocks!

I dont know why I waited so long to just make my own. I remembered a while back marielle posted a recipe for one from a book. Last night all the kids had fevers so I made them some to drink and myself some. I took a sip and my body actually craved it and it was so refreshing! Im going to take a container and mix some dry ingredients up to always have handy in the cupboard. Thanks Marielle if you see this

pinch of salt (I used sea salt)
1/4 t baking soda
2 T sugar or honey or maple syrup
8 oz water
I used less sugar and mixed juice in the water, added some ice. I think next time I will flavor with lemon juice)
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (03-08-2011)
Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homemade electrolyte rocks!

oh cool...wondered how one would do that.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

`thx for that recipe - i was just wondering about this the other day!
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute

hey cool! I must try it out one day but hopefully not one day soon LOL.

cook, sew, knit, crochet, repeat - my blog http://www.maricucu.blogspot.com

Married to T for 13 years and watching over the herd:
I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”

-Mark Twain
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
MtnMama

I had to drink Gatorade (well, not HAD to, but it was all that was offered) and while I felt it helped a ton, I couldn't stop glancing at the ingredients.

When we got home, I immediately looked up this recipe.

Thank you for posting it!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMama
I had to drink Gatorade (well, not HAD to, but it was all that was offered) and while I felt it helped a ton, I couldn't stop glancing at the ingredients.

When we got home, I immediately looked up this recipe.

Thank you for posting it!
something about wood resin just doesnt sound right. I was in a spot like that too and found that the original powdered gatorade doesnt have near as much yuck as the liquid ones.
I did try the recipe with coconut milk and it was sooooooooo yummy! And soothing. Glad it helped though
Old 04-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

can you use this in place of Gatorade when doing a lot of sweat work?
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
Blueberrybabies
Climbing Rose

Blueberrybabies has a spectacular aura aboutBlueberrybabies has a spectacular aura aboutBlueberrybabies has a spectacular aura about

G is on pediatric formula so when he has stomach bugs he's supposed to have Pedialyte. I finally used this recently when he was sick. I LOVED that I knew what was in it and it's stuff you're likely to have around anyway--no running out to buy something when you have a sick kiddo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy
can you use this in place of Gatorade when doing a lot of sweat work?
I'd imagine so. Dr. Sears has a recipe in his pregnancy book to be used during labor, which is mighty sweaty work.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
me
Rose Garden

If I compared Gatorade as a sports drink here's how it would fare:
Gatorade:
sodium=110mg/8 oz
potasium=30mg/8oz

Homemade electrolyte:
sodium= roughly 500mg/8 oz
My sea salt reads 590mg sodium per 1/4tsp(1000mg=1 gm) and
Baking soda reads 150mg sodium per 1/8tsp(600mg if in baked food)
potasium=you could add a banana(422mg) or coconut water(about 300mg+30mg more of sodium)

If I added up the info below correctly, ideally one would want about 100/150mg of sodium per 8oz.(very close to Gatorade) or 500mg in heat( very close to the natural one)

I based the above on the following:
[i] "Most commercial sports drinks have modest sodium content in order to make them more palatable.
A person exercising in heat needs as much as 2gm [grams] of sodium per liter for proper recovery - which would make sports drinks taste like seawater (there is about 0.5gm of sodium per liter of Gatorade)."
"There is 1gm of sodium [40%] in every 2.5gm of table salt [and sea salt])"[i]

Though one could use salt I always use sea salt.
"Sea Salt vs. Table Salt
"Sea salt contains about 80 mineral elements that the body needs. Some of these elements are needed in trace amounts. Unrefined sea salt is a better choice of salt than other types of salt on the market.
Ordinary table salt that is bought in the super markets has been
Stripped of its companion elements and
Contains additive elements [sometimes] such as aluminum silicate [please see note below] to keep it powdery and porous."

Since you asked about it for excersising I thought I would also post this for you:
"These drinks are not designed to be guzzled at the end of a long workout, but are meant to be sipped an ounce or two at time every 10 to 15 minutes during a workout. The sodium used in sports beverages are designed to maintain your blood volume during exercise, because it can decrease through loss of fluids, aka sweat. Plus you need make sure there is enough blood to deliver energy to the working muscles in the periphery. Sports drinks also provide carbs, which help maintain blood sugar levels to keep the brain functioning and happy (the brain is fueled by carbs). Mental fatigue can cause muscle fatigue.
You should drink a sports drink, I mean sip a sports drink every 10 to 15 minutes, if you are sweating and your heart rate is elevated, as in exercise, for over a half an hour. All you need is a sip, which is about an ounce or two — between an
Look for a sports drink that contains at least 500 to 700 milligrams (mg) of sodium per liter. Also select one you don't feel like you need to dilute due to taste, since you'll dilute the electrolyte and carbohydrate concentration as well. To avoid guzzling too much at one time since no one likes to run with a belly full of liquid, drink it in small amounts at regular intervals, every 15 to 20 minutes.
Fit's Tip: To figure out how much you need to drink, weigh yourself naked before and after a typical hour of working out. Then drink the same amount you lost. For example, if you lose two pounds during one hour of running, you need to replace about 32 ounces (two pounds) of fluid during each hour of exercise. This is the equation you should use if you are racing too. If you're consuming more than that, you're probably over-hydrating."[i]

Also if you take the following into consideration the ratio of the natural is much better for hydration:
"Athletes, professional ones, are shunning Gatorade for Pedialyte. The product has less sugar and twice the sodium of regular Gatorade. The important thing, when it comes to sports drinks, are your kidneys. Here’s a list of 6 things, according to squidoo that you should look for in a sports drink.

1. All six electrolytes (minerals) - Calcium, Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Chloride. When you sweat, you lose all 6 of these. Then why do most sports drinks not have all six to replace what you lost?
2. A Sodium / Potassium ratio of approx 2.2 to 1 - this has to do with the Sodium - Potassium pump and the ability of fluids to be absorbed.
3. At least 100 mg of sodium. Your body cannot absorb fluids effectively without this!
4. At least 20 - 25 grams of carbs - but a mixture of 3 types - fast burning - like glucose so you get immediate energy - a medium burning carb like fructose - and a slow burning carb like maltodextrin so you have long term energy and prevent serious blood sugar fluctuation.
5. Should not have artificial colors or flavors - they do not improve performance and can be harmful if used consistently over a period of years.
6. Should not have any “natural” herbs or performance enhancers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
cobluegirl (12-29-2010), delightedmama (07-27-2010)
Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

subbing
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
naturallia
Deactivated

naturallia is on a distinguished road

naturallia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Savannah
subbing
mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

Living My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond repute

is this basically energy drink but natural?

Living My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:41 AM   #14
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

Living My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond repute

when googling... i found more recipes mostly the same but didnt have baking soda in it. whats the difference?

Also i t = teaspoon and T =tablesppons?

Living My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 AM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula
Also t = teaspoon and T =tablespoon?

We use coconut water as an electrolyte drink (and I'll drink it during this labor) but this is a great recipe to have for when we don't have access to coconut water.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote