Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
mellymommy
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

mellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blerg...had to write a letter

This is about CTBHHM, not parenting...but I think that the previous can lead into the latter and cause more damage.

I visited my old church while I was in Ohio last week and found that an older, "respected" woman in the church is teaching CTBHHM. Here is the letter I wrote to the pastor:

Pastor S, I have been fighting writing this. I've wanted to say "not my business anymore" and go on with my life. But, I can not escape the unease of my spirit that I believe is the Lord prompting me to do something difficult and uncomfortable but important. So, here I go...

While I was in BG I stayed with TT. T is one of my favorite people on the planet and I know her very well. I know her heart to please God and see L walking with Him, too. She shared with me some advice given to her by Grandma N. that ALARMED me. Advice to drink alcohol when her husband wanted her to, even though she had heard clearly from the Lord NOT to drink any more. Advice NEVER to discuss anything spiritual with him. Advice to "manipulate" (T's word, not N's) him with sex to get him to do more work/be closer to God/be happier. Advice to do anything "short of murder" if he asks her to. Then I heard about the book Grandma N is teaching from, Created to be his Helpmeet by Debi Pearl.

This is a DANGEROUS book. I am happy to expound on my allegation and provide proof from the text, if you like. In short, the book claims that a husband's happiness, spiritual health, and leadership ability are 100% in the hands of the wife. This book also advocates the constant exposure of abused children to their abuser (when the husband is the abuser). Furthermore, the author promotes women avoiding friendship with other women because it can too easily become "more." I could go on and on but won't yet.

The pastors of our church family in California (Tom and Sue Gaddis, Foursquare pastors for many, many, many years; they are highly respected in Foursquare and Sue has written quite a few books and is sought after as a minister and speaker) made a statement from the pulpit AGAINST this book when it came out years ago. Sue and Tom believe this book to be unbalanced and find Debi's interpretation of Scripture to be flawed. I asked Sue's permission to quote them and she encouraged me to do so and to speak against this book.

This book does have a few moments of wisdom but on the whole it is dangerous and sets women and children up for abuse and sets a husband up for spiritual lameness. Again, I can expound on this with information from the text, if you like.

Pastor S, I don't want to "stir a turd", as my dad would say. But I feel strongly enough about the dangers of this book that I am willing to cause a stink. I know that you have to field complaints from your congregation on a regular basis and I NEVER wanted to join them. I love Dayspring and respect you greatly.

Melody

Married since 1999, rebuilding since June 2013

Hybrid Mommy to
ds1 (12/02, SPD)
dd (9/04)
ds2 (10/07, C22 disorder)
ds3 (5/08)
ds4 (1/09)
dd2 (9/11)

http://www.themelodyward.com
htty://www.joplinmamaresurrected.blogspot.com
mellymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to mellymommy For This Useful Post:
Amy (04-28-2012), Annainprogress (04-29-2012), Barefoot Bookworm (04-28-2012), BarefootBetsy (04-28-2012), Bonnie (04-29-2012), crunchymum (04-29-2012), Damselfly (04-29-2012), DancingWithElves (04-28-2012), DoulaClara (04-28-2012), EnglishRose (04-29-2012), FlyingBlueKiwi (04-28-2012), hollybells (04-28-2012), homesteadmama (04-28-2012), Kiara.I (04-28-2012), KSL (04-28-2012), kwisie (04-29-2012), Llee (04-29-2012), MercyInDisguise (04-29-2012), NewCovenantMama (04-28-2012), PaperMomma (04-28-2012), PrincessAnika (04-28-2012), Quiteria (04-29-2012), StrangeTraveller (04-29-2012), StumblinMama (04-28-2012), swimming with sharks (04-29-2012), TenderLovingWillow (04-29-2012), Zooey (04-29-2012)
The Following 17 Users Say they are praying for mellymommy:
Amy (04-28-2012), Annainprogress (04-29-2012), BarefootBetsy (04-28-2012), Chaos Coordinator (04-29-2012), Damselfly (04-29-2012), DoulaClara (04-28-2012), FlyingBlueKiwi (04-28-2012), homesteadmama (04-28-2012), joysworld (04-28-2012), MercyInDisguise (04-29-2012), PrincessAnika (04-28-2012), Quiteria (04-29-2012), swimming with sharks (04-29-2012), TenderLovingWillow (04-29-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-28-2012), WI Mama05 (04-29-2012), Zooey (04-29-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blerg...had to write a letter

that he's receptive.

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that was a very good letter

I also that he's receptive to what you had to say.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I also think it was a very good letter.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

Great job!
hollybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybells View Post
Great job!
I agree.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
mellymommy
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

mellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I have a fairly good relationship with the pastor. We maintain contact with the church and are renting our OH house to some of the new pastors (our OH house didn't sell before the tornado happened, and we weren't in a good head space to continue to do anything about it, so we offered it to the church for housing pastors and they needed it, so it all worked out...that was a bit of a ramble).

I'm not sure if he has read the book...goodness, I sure hope he hasn't because that would mean that he supports that garbage. I am good friends with 2 of the female pastors and they haven't read the book but are hesitant to trust the book and Grandma N. They know some of the things she "endured" through her 50 year marriage and don't see the godliness/benefit/Scriptural basis for her tolerating what she did. They don't think that Pastor S has read the book but is trusting his Teaching Pastor (whom I don't really trust).

Our old church is ALL about GRACE so I don't know how they can continue to teach this book. I am just sick over it.

Hybrid Mommy to
ds1 (12/02, SPD)
dd (9/04)
ds3 (5/08)
ds4 (1/09)
dd2 (9/11)

The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for mellymommy:
Llee (05-04-2012), PrincessAnika (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute

I think you did a good job. I hope he hears you.

OT: I grew up Foursquare and that's the first time since leaving that church that I've come across someone who has heard of it.
NewLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of Foursquare! I worked at a Christian camp one summer and several Foursquare groups came through They were really nice people That's about all I know though

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
mellymommy
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I adore Foursquare. If I *had* to chose a denomination to be in forever, it would be Foursquare. If you haven't read about the beginnings of Foursquare, please do!! It was started by Amy Semple McPherson and she was quite a character and the controversy around her life is wonderfully exciting.

The denomination is very grace-focused and relationship focused. The pastors I've experienced are very much feelers and care so deeply for their congregants, even after they move across the country. It is a charismatic denomination and they have no qualms with women being pastors.

Hybrid Mommy to
ds1 (12/02, SPD)
dd (9/04)
ds3 (5/08)
ds4 (1/09)
dd2 (9/11)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mellymommy For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-29-2012), EnglishRose (04-29-2012), PrincessAnika (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Christina+5
Rose Bouquet

I really do love my kiddos!

Christina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud of

Would love to know how he responded! I think it was a great letter!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have a fairly good relationship with the pastor.
I could tell that by the frank way that you expressed yourself. I bet he will respond in kind, and I'm so glad you felt you could approach him about this--and that you did. Good letter!
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

I am praying that it is received well..
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

The fact that they have female pastors makes it sound to me that if they knew what was in that book, they'd be opposed to it.

I hope he responds well!

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-29-2012), MercyInDisguise (04-29-2012), Zooey (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
EnglishRose
Climbing Rose

EnglishRose has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRose has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRose has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRose has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRose has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRose has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRose has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRose has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRose has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRose has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRose has a reputation beyond repute

brilliant letter, well done.