Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #241
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bentonite Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyInTheSpirit
I have vitamin deficiencies and so I must to be very careful and considerate , at least to always take the clay on an empty stomach. It still concerns me, not to scare anyone though. One case was reported in a three year old, but the parents had been using it as an enema and there is really no telling how much or for how long . Still...it is enough to make me think more about it. If you have a reference for it being a condition that occurs only after years of use please link me to it ( I would love to read it to comfort myself on the issue once and for all).
might have been somewhere on eytons earth? honestly i cant remember. ive been trying to google all the words i remembered to see if it would come up but ill keep trying. let me know if you find it. it was something about what the actual amount would be that one would have to take before there was an effect. it was a huge amount, like one that a person couldnt possibly take by accident and it had to be over a given time to. not like just with one time. it was on a site selling clay but the info was from a group study, not funded by them......
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #242
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

I'll research it later.
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #243
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyInTheSpirit
I'll research it later.
as promised i keep looking but cant find it. i did find this though to help you in your decision.
http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ne&aid=3390864
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #244
Iansmama

Does anyone use frontier's clay internally? Has anyone checked with them to see if theirs is safe for internal use?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #245
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is quite skeptical about my doing clay baths--he says calcium bentonite is what they use to put on the bottom of ponds to sorta seal the water in so it doesn't soak into the ground. We have a very small, ancient septic tank...so I am worried about using it for baths now.....

Also, my dh doesn't care for it as 'body powder'. He says it is worse than the talcum powder--all gritty and itchy and stuff. Do you think if I mixed it half clay and half some sort of powder(arrowroot? I can't use corn starch), that it would work better?
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #246
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady TS
My husband is quite skeptical about my doing clay baths--he says calcium bentonite is what they use to put on the bottom of ponds to sorta seal the water in so it doesn't soak into the ground. We have a very small, ancient septic tank...so I am worried about using it for baths now.....

Also, my dh doesn't care for it as 'body powder'. He says it is worse than the talcum powder--all gritty and itchy and stuff. Do you think if I mixed it half clay and half some sort of powder(arrowroot? I can't use corn starch), that it would work better?
bummer pharmaceuticals use silica all the time and just about every toothpaste.
the clay shouldnt feel gritty or itchy but then i use internal, not sure about external. and ya, you can mix it, you might even want to mix it with his old powder, and one of the others you mention, then gradually use less of his powder.

and you could just take a foot bath and then pour the water out in the garden or something. since clay is volcano ash its just like restoring minerals back to your soil.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #247
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm still planning on using it, but probably not a cup at a time in the tub.

I don't think it would be too much stress using small amounts at a time, but I guess I could see that if I used a whole cup at a time and did it regularly and ran it into the septic all at once, it could build up in there and cause problems.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #248
WI Mama05
Rose Garden

God, you've got this!

WI Mama05 has disabled reputation

First of all, I've been washing my face with ELC for about two weeks now and I LOVE it! The red marks are so diminished and not really any new acne. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Some questions now...

1) you mention it can be used for cradle cap....how? My 3.5 mo is showing signs of cradle cap now and it's starting to want to flake off. I don't bathe her that often and don't use soaps when I do.

2) same baby has gut issues. we are dealing with food elimination to try to solve her bloody and mucus stools. I don't feel comfortable using the probiotics the naturopath gave us. even though they say dairy free, there is a note on the side about using dairy derivitiave to feed off of during the process.......would clay possibly help heal her gut? How do I give it to her? How much?

3) would *my* taking the clay internally help with DDs gut issues?
WI Mama05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #249
me
Rose Garden

for me this is how it worked
1. when i do bathe her, which is rare, i put a tiny amount in the water. or i make a warm cup of water with a sprinkle of clay and wipe her scalp with a wash cloth dipped in it.
2.when my dd was 3 months i only gave it to her when i absolutely had to. even then, it was only dusted on her nursies or a tiny amount off my finger. even less than what they would say to do with a probiotic.
3. Yes! thats how you want to do it! i took the clay to heal my dd's gut. after the above, i dont give it to her internally any longer, i take it and only use it on her externally to heal any outside flares, like eczema patches or redness. her flares are what signal me to something i am doing wrong.
eta:and its more important for you to take the probiotics.

The absolutely most important thing is to only use a trusted, internal clay for babies. Even if its being applied externally use the internal clay!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #250
me
Rose Garden

Added over active let down to my list!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #251
Iansmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansmama
Does anyone use frontier's clay internally? Has anyone checked with them to see if theirs is safe for internal use?
Just repeating myself in case I got lost at the bottom of the previous page
Old 02-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #252
joy
Climbing Rose

joy is a jewel in the roughjoy is a jewel in the roughjoy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
Just repeating myself in case I got lost at the bottom of the previous page
It doesn't say anything about internal use in their catalog. :/ Here is all it says, maybe someone can decipher:
Quote:
Frontier Bulk Clay, Bentonite Powder, 1 lb. package
Item #: 2194

Brand: Frontier Bulk
Product Notes: The table below represents the typical mineral breakdown of our bentonite clay powder.
SiO2 66.5%
Al2O3 14.3%
MgO 3.2%
Fe2O3 0.8%
CaO 2.2%
Na2O 3.3%
K2O 0.1%
TiO2 0.2%
This is mined in Texas and is considered a non-swelling , calcium type of bentonite.

Origin: United States
Kosher: KSA Certified
Common Name: Bentonite Clay Powder
Bar Code: 0-89836-02194-6

Introverted | INFJ | Goofy
joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #253
WI Mama05
Rose Garden

God, you've got this!

WI Mama05 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
wow! how?
WI Mama05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #254
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Mama05
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
wow! how?
it was by accident really. i had ran out of clay (i only take it now as maintenance or for flares) and had noticed dd starting to get fussy after feedings. in 24 hours i was starting to get engorged. i asked carol to speed some to me and i did the usual things for engorgement till it arrived. when it got here i was already so bad i was spraying into towels instead of normal pads. poor dd would have to latch and unlatch, you know the usual stuff that comes with oal. ive had it with my other 3 kids too so i thought it was just business as usual.
i put the clay on like a paste. downed the detox amount internally. waited 30 minutes, then got in a clay bath. i was at the point where i was fearing the lumps might get infected.
so i layed in the tub and just kept working the lumps out and making things easier for dd when she was to latch after my bath.
i stopped massaging and the stragest thing! i watched the clay pulling out the excess spray i got out feeling better but still full. and that was ok cause softening them would have made me just produce more. so l let dd nurse and she was able to soften them within a few hours. she was so happy to eat struggle free, she ate more settled than she had while the few days i was waiting for clay.
Since that clay bath i havent had any spraying. and i dont even drip from the other side while nursing. and thats a first for me, i have always had the small drip. or like when shes nursing then unlatches to see the kids i use to always have to catch. but not any more i dont have to wear pads or keep a burp cloth handy anylonger

Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #255
thomer
Rose Garden

thomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond repute

Can I put this into toothpaste I'm making? I have metal fillings and a metal brace - would it still do me some good?