Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

thankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud of
Default Need help with recipes for gluten free vegan

We had food sensitivity testing for our 9 year old dd done recently and she came back with High levels for wheat, peanuts and sunflower. We also struggle because she seems to have trouble with spices since it irritates her perioral dermatitis. Most of her favorite foods though are spicy, so that has been a challenge, but last night as I started trying to plan some meals I realize how little I know about what is in our food. Peanut butter is a staple for dd, she uses it it as dip for fruit, pb and j, in granola, etc. So she is mourning the loss of that big time, then I read that all her nut milks that she likes for cereal and the chocolate cashew she likes to make peanut butter banana smoothies with all have sunflower lecithin in them. How hard is it to make nut milk? I don't have a high powered blender or food processor...does that matter?

I guess what I need most is a tried and true recipe for gf vegan bread. I have found a lot online, but with so many new ingredients I will have to spend a fortune testing them out and I just don't have the funds for that right now. Maybe a pancake/waffle recipe, pizza crust?

I need to make sure she makes up for taking peanut butter out of her diet, hoping she likes cashew butter. She had a mild reaction to almond. :/
Even the earth balance that we use has sunflower lecithin in it. Her dried cranberries have sunflower oil and a number of other things.

Some of our meals have nut milk in the ingredients, others have wheat....some baking has earth balance.

I know some of the mom's here deal with different combinations of food allergies and maybe this isn't so bad...just on information overload right now.
thankfulheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help with recipes for gluten free vegan

As for the nut milk subs, have you tried coconut? There are canned varieties that don't have any additives. The box version might have lecithin, but I'm not sure. (Rice and soy are decent substitutions in most baking, although they tend to spread more, and might have sunflower. ) My dairy free kid prefers coconut to any other milk. Almond is her second choice, but it sounds like that won't work for you. (She's allergic to most other tree nuts, so we haven't tried cashew, or any of those.)

I don't have any great recipes for GF vegan bread. I've found the egg substitutes are middling, at best. Wraps are another matter, though. If you have a dehydrator, you can make wraps with veggie purees that are decent. There's one brand of Vegan veggie wrap we've gotten at Whole Foods that's pretty tasty, but I can't remember the name offhand. Sorry.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #3
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

thankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud of

I made a run to Fresh Thyme last night. It's the closest thing like whole foods nearby. I can make a run to whole foods next week maybe. I found a soy milk I can use for now and found a frozen rice/almond gf bread that will work until I figure more out. I also found her some cereal and a few other things that she can at least feel a little more normal until I learn some new tricks in the kitchen.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

The palm shortening would be a good choice for baking, as well as coconut oil.

Will she eat beans?

Lots of recipes in my blog:
http://oceanskater.blogspot.com/search/label/vegan

I make something called Skinny Chocolate/raw fudge: baking cocoa, coconut oil and sweetener. An easy calorie replacement: http://oceanskater.blogspot.com/2009...-new-year.html

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

No big deal to skip the almonds in the fudge.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Shortening (much cheaper at Whole Foods): http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Organ.../dp/B004WOMWWE

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I have a cook book called the gluten free vegan.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

Thank you for the links and for the cookbook suggestion!