Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute
Default So, cupgate

or the red cup controversy. What is the deal? Does anyone really care? Did anyone actually protest about the cups or is it all a publicity scam? The thing is - I have not seen one post or article at all of anyone complaining about the cups not having Christmas decorations on them. Not one. However, my facebook feed and even news feeds are full of posts of people complaining about "others" who have complained about the cups not being Christmasy enough. Was there ever a real controversy or is it all a scam? Is it all a publicity stunt by Starbucks themselves? I don't really know. Has anyone seen anyone complaining about the cups or only the posts and articles complaining about the "Christians who complained" about the cups?
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-10-2015), mommychem (11-10-2015), Quiteria (11-09-2015), ShiriChayim (11-10-2015), Victorious (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, cupgate

I e wondered the same thing. I haven't seen a single person actually complain about it. It seems so made up to me.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

To answer one of your questions, according to USA Today:
Quote:
Josua Feuerstein, an Arizona-based evangelist, posted a Facebook video that has been viewed 12 million times by Monday morning that lamented the lack of a Christian message on the red cups with traditional green logo.
So yes, someone was actually mad. Insert eye roll.
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
mommychem (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

It's red and green! What could be more Christmassy and Jesus-ness than that!! It's not Christmas without Jesus coffee!!

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (11-09-2015), twoplustwo (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's dumb. It being America does not mean any person or any company has to celebrate Christmas. They don't complain about not having coffee that celebrates the Savior any other time of year. I would imagine, if Jesus is upset about it, he would be more upset about the use of his name and birth to support excessive spending than he would about cups having or not having Christmas stuff on them. And it's not like they had a manger scene anyway- they had reindeer and things like that. I think it is so, so, so, so dumb.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
DahliaRW (11-09-2015), graciousmomma (11-10-2015), mommychem (11-10-2015), SewingGreenMama (11-09-2015), Soliloquy (11-10-2015), tempestjewel (11-10-2015), twoplustwo (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I refuse to mention how sick of it I am in fb because then I'm talking about it too. But
Seriously people, it's Starbucks. They aren't fair trade (they have their own fair trade "CAFE" set up but it isn't a international third party certification for most of their coffee. Less than 10% off their coffee is certified by a third party fair trade), they have questionable practices in that regard. And the coffee is way over priced and tastes bad (IMHO) and this a cuuuuup.

but really when people get in a frenzy over the latest trending thing I have to wonder what's going on elsewhere in the world...what are we missing?

Sorry OP not spewing on you. just this has been bugging me.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 11-09-2015 at 08:55 PM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (11-09-2015), MercyInDisguise (11-09-2015), mommychem (11-10-2015), WanderingJuniper (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Because snowflakes and reindeer on your coffee cup just scream "Jesus".

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Chaos Coordinator (11-09-2015), graciousmomma (11-10-2015), mellifera (11-10-2015), MercyInDisguise (11-09-2015), mommychem (11-10-2015), Tasmanian Saint (11-09-2015), tempestjewel (11-10-2015), Virginia (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's mostly fabricated. There was one cranky blogger (was he even really upset about it?) that the internet ran with. I don't know one single person the least bit upset by it.
melliethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to melliethepooh For This Useful Post:
believer (11-10-2015), Chaos Coordinator (11-09-2015), knitlove (11-11-2015), Leslie (11-10-2015), ShiriChayim (11-10-2015), sweetpeasmommy (11-09-2015), Victorious (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #9
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

I unfortunately saw a blip of the rant video and could not believe it. It's like he has no idea what he's even talking about, no actual point of evidence or solid reasoning. I don't know that there are many supporters, are there? Maybe he will enjoy his 15 min and if he decides to go back in, it will be for something positive.
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoyGal For This Useful Post:
believer (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #10
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Oh goodness, now Trump is commenting on it:

Quote:
“Did you read about Starbucks? No more Merry Christmas on Starbucks,” Trump told a capacity crowd of thousands gathered to hear him speak at a pre-debate rally in Springfield, Illinois on Monday evening.

“Maybe we should boycott Starbucks. I don’t know,” he said. “Seriously, I don’t care.”
He added that Starbucks operates a store in one of his buildings and that “that’s the end of that lease, but who cares?”
http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-w...bucks-boycott/
Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw all that jazz on mu Facebook today.
I told Hubby lots of churches need to flock to Starbucks,buy out the joint and give it away to cold,homeless people,crossing guards,construction workers,etc.
Just be Jesus. Who cares what color the vessel is?
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
DahliaRW (11-09-2015), Elyse221 (11-17-2015), MercyInDisguise (11-09-2015), mommychem (11-10-2015), Tasmanian Saint (11-09-2015), ValiantJoy07 (11-10-2015), WanderingJuniper (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #12
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

I think this one fool of a individual is getting a ridiculous amount of attention from his video. Sure, there are people agreeing with him on his Facebook page, but there's really not a big "movement" of upset Christians here. Just one guy. Even the ultra-conservative Christians I know, who are usually the first to jump in with this sort of outrage, haven't even bothered with this one. It's kind of frustrating to see this guy getting so much attention instead of having people roll their eyes at him and continue on their way. It would have just been one more ridiculous video if everyone hadn't so very quickly jumped in to make it a huge viral rage-against-the-outrage thing.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
believer (11-10-2015), deena (11-11-2015), Llee (11-10-2015), mamaKristin (11-10-2015), MercyInDisguise (11-09-2015), ShiriChayim (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #13
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
I refuse to mention how sick of it I am in fb because then I'm talking about it too. But
Seriously people, it's Starbucks. They aren't fair trade (they have their own fair trade "CAFE" set up but it isn't a international third party certification for most of their coffee. Less than 10% off their coffee is certified by a third party fair trade), they have questionable practices in that regard. And the coffee is way over priced and tastes bad (IMHO) and this a cuuuuup.

but really when people get in a frenzy over the latest trending thing I have to wonder what's going on elsewhere in the world...what are we missing?

Sorry OP not spewing on you. just this has been bugging me.
Exactly why I go to Dunkin Donuts.

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #14
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

I recently switched to dunkin donuts coffee -costco carries it now. I make fabulous hot and iced coffee from it. It costs more but worth it

I think this whole cup thing has blown way out of proportion
Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
deena (11-11-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

I refuse to read more than the headlines as it sounds like the most ridiculous bunch of silliness ever.

I also never buy anything in places like Starbucks as their prices are theft!
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
believer (11-10-2015), PlateauMama (11-11-2015), ValiantJoy07 (11-10-2015)