Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute
Default what milk to buy?

we drink 2% store brand milk right now. i want to move away from that and going with something healthier. so whats the best bang for your buck? organic cows milk, rice milk, soy milk, etc. i dont have access to raw. thanks!
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what milk to buy?

I would buy whole organic cows milk if you can. Unhomonogized is best if raw isn't an option. Are you sure raw isn't an option? Texas has a lot of raw milk and pretty lax laws.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

well, tbh i never looked. i figured it was way too expensive, but it might not be
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raining_kisses View Post
well, tbh i never looked. i figured it was way too expensive, but it might not be
mine is five dollars a gallon. Far less than organic milk

http://realmilk.com/

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

You couldn't pay me enough to put soy milk in my body. I personally don't think it is a healthy choice for anybody.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

ilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to behold

Not trying to hijack, but can someone explain "raw milk" to me. I have seen it, but I don't understand why in my state, people aren't allowed to sell it for human consumption. What are the benefits of raw??

To the OP, Store brand organic is what we do!
ilikestrawberryjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Raspberries

Quote:
I totally understand the value of your dollar when you're not making a lot of money (if that is the issue ). But sometimes we have to remember the what and whys of our choices. Yes, raw milk will most likely be more expensive than what you're used to. That can be quite a shock! But you just have to weigh out the pros and cons. Remember the work and care going into it. Remember the quality. Also, if you can only buy a certain amount, work on limiting your consumption. I've had to work things that way when funds are low. Maybe I could only afford 2lbs of grass fed beef. That meant that it was portioned out slightly smaller and filled up the gaps with lots of veggies.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestrawberryjello View Post
Not trying to hijack, but can someone explain "raw milk" to me. I have seen it, but I don't understand why in my state, people aren't allowed to sell it for human consumption. What are the benefits of raw??

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_mi..._benefits.html
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
~yogamom~
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Just a mom trying to figure it out like everyone one else!

~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute

i agree-- try to find some raw milk. if not, then whole, unhomogenized organic milk is a good bet. or grass-fed local milk at your store-- we have a couple local labels in my town.

as far as advantages of raw milk, visit http://www.realmilk.com/
~yogamom~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
raining_kisses
Deactivated

i have heard that about soy. my mom thinks theres a conspiracy there somewhere

how long is raw milk good for. does it have a pretty good shelf life?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestrawberryjello View Post

check out the link http://realmilk.com/ Lots of information on "why" raw milk. Basically raw milk has more nutritional value, as well as enzymes that make it healthier for our bodies. It is just milk that comes straight out of the cow and then is cooled and put into jugs to drink. Another big bonus (perhaps bigger than the raw IMO) is that it isn't homogenized. This means that the fat globs go through your body without being absorbed as quickly and getting absorbed differently.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

What Erin said - oh for a 5.00 per gallon source of raw milk! The going rate here is 12.00 I have heard people finding more private sources on places like craigslist etc. yogamom what are some brands of unhomog. organic? We try to get that when cant get raw. We were biting the bullet and paying the 12.00 for raw for awhile but have had a mega hot summer and the lady that brings it drives in a bit and then was sitting in a cooler until we could pick it up and it was tasting just a bit off after only having it for a couple of days so we are waiting for cooler weather again

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Quote:

how long is raw milk good for. does it have a pretty good shelf life?
mine lasts between seven and ten days. But we drink it way quicker than that. Once it sours you can still use it for baking. It makes YUMMY pancakes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
raining_kisses
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberries View Post
I totally understand the value of your dollar when you're not making a lot of money (if that is the issue ). But sometimes we have to remember the what and whys of our choices. Yes, raw milk will most likely be more expensive than what you're used to. That can be quite a shock! But you just have to weigh out the pros and cons. Remember the work and care going into it. Remember the quality. Also, if you can only buy a certain amount, work on limiting your consumption. I've had to work things that way when funds are low. Maybe I could only afford 2lbs of grass fed beef. That meant that it was portioned out slightly smaller and filled up the gaps with lots of veggies.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_mi..._benefits.html
ITU about paying for what you get. i just started this thread http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=375232 about cutting out the proccessed foods in our budget to be able to afford better things. milk is going to be my jumping off point. im looking up raw milk in my area now. thanks ladies!

Last edited by raining_kisses; 09-09-2010 at 10:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to raining_kisses For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Traditionally and biblically people healthfully drank raw milk from animals like cows and goats that are pasture fed.It has only been since man has started trying to do it on a mass scale and animals have been fed grains and been given hormones and drugs and the digestive enzymes have been largely destroyed by heating the milk and the proteins broken up into smaller particles that can get absorbed too quickly which may trigger allergic reactions in some people that it has become a problem for some people.Traditionally asian people dont eat processed soy, soy beans used to be considered toxic.Sprouted soy beans have a toxic substance they produce that keep animals from eating them and are never eaten raw by asian people - only very small amounts cooked in stir fries.Since soy contains estrogen mimicking chemicals that are potent enough to use in OTC formulas to counteract menopause symptoms it should probably give one pause about eating very much soy in your diet every day.I had my 1st baby at the Farm and they were trying to figure out a higher than average rate of miscarriage at the time happening with the women there.They were eating a diet based on soy at every meal......

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
raining_kisses
Deactivated

yes, my moms conspiracy theory is that soy is a population controller.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
mamacat
Rose Garden

Interesting theory! And maybe,in part, why so many women are having infertility isues these days tho I think some of that is also all the sugar

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C