Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #76
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation
Default Re: Recipes and Pics of creations to keep me accountable in my vegan eating...

Breakfast - brown rice with raw tomato, sauteed squash, onion, corn and navy beans.

Lunch - dry sauteed eggplant slices with onion on two pieces of seed bread and some mushroom flavor stir-fry sauce

Supper - (not pictured, I forgot) Corn on the cob, lettuce salad with dorothy lynch dressing, lotsa watermelon, sauteed in broth eggplant and summer squash and half a bit of vegetarian hot-dog that cameron didn't eat.

I will probably eat a bit more, I'm actually only at 1600 cals so far so I need a bit more but I'm not really hungry.

I have some more creative things I'll be making later this week.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #77
Joyful Mommy
Climbing Rose

Joyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really nice
Default Re: Recipes and Pics of creations to keep me accountable in my vegan eating...

this thread is great. i have been feeling uninspired lately, but this is helping!
A [12.14.06]
N [10.24.08]
Shalom born to heaven [02.01.13]
Surprise baby due this August

Joyful Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #78
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

so far, it's been good

oatmeal w/ molasses, honey and raisins for b-fast

lunch is black beans, corn tortillas, brown rice and watermelon

Pizza with eggplant, potato, pesto, olives and mushrooms. Yes, it's all homemade except the olives.

Pizza Dough

7 tbs applesauce
4 tsp gluten
2 tsp salt
2 1/4 c flour
2 c whole wheat flour
1 1/4 c water
1 tbs yeast

Mix all ingredients together and knead well. Let sit 30-60 min and then punch down. After punching down, let it sit another 15 min and roll out to desired crust size. Poke crust all over with a fork and place in oven at 350 for 8-10 minutes depending on thickness.

Remove from oven and top with goodies, return to oven and bake another 8-10 minutes. The crusts can be frozen well after the first baking.

We've used the above recipe for years and LOVE it. Sometimes I add a bit of spinach for color.

Pesto recipe (low-fat)

4 cups packed basil leaves
2 tsp minced fresh garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbs water

Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth. If it tastes like weeds, add a bit more salt. I had this problem tonight.

Jen D

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Old 07-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #79
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

That pizza looks yummy!

Go you! I'm strengthening my vegan/veg resolve again this next week after eating too much fast food on the road last week. I'm going to be stalking this thread.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #80
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlebirth
That pizza looks yummy!

Go you! I'm strengthening my vegan/veg resolve again this next week after eating too much fast food on the road last week. I'm going to be stalking this thread.
Thanks Ashley. I'm going to post recipes on the pizza soon, maybe tonight. I had almost fat-free pesto on it and and homemade crust.

Yesterday, I delved into the world of low-fat guacomole made out of green beans and it was pretty impressive.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #81
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Pizza crust recipe and pesto recipe added. The low-fat guac recipe is soon to follow, either tonight or tomorrow.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #82
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Tacos with low-fat guacamole

From the almost fat-free vegan cookbook,

Low-Fat Guacamole

1 (10 oz) package whole small green beans, frozen
1/2 (10.5 oz) package silken tofu (low-fat firm) or regular tofu (med-fat)

2 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic granules

cook green beans in a little water until tender, drain and place in food processor, blending until smooth. Add tofu and blend some more. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until well blended. Cool and refrigerate.

Have fun.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 PM   #83
HummusDip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshifter
Breakfast - brown rice with raw tomato, sauteed squash, onion, corn and navy beans.

Lunch - dry sauteed eggplant slices with onion on two pieces of seed bread and some mushroom flavor stir-fry sauce

Supper - (not pictured, I forgot) Corn on the cob, lettuce salad with dorothy lynch dressing, lotsa watermelon, sauteed in broth eggplant and summer squash and half a bit of vegetarian hot-dog that cameron didn't eat.

I will probably eat a bit more, I'm actually only at 1600 cals so far so I need a bit more but I'm not really hungry.

I have some more creative things I'll be making later this week.

Jen D.
So you just saute the corn and navy beans with the onion an squash? In what oil? And are the navy beans pre soaked then? Do you season them at all? That breakfast looks fantastic.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #84
HummusDip

Quote:
Well, I'm not doing the pancha mama's salad, I'll just show you some random things.

I ate this yesterday.

From our garden:
squash
swiss chard
alfalfa and radish sprouts
watermelon radish
jalapenos

Not from our garden:
tomatoes
beans
brown rice
potatoes

All for a total of under 6% fat and about 1600 calories. I ate some more today. My goal for the day is to stay under 10% fat. So, I will have a smoothie next 'cause my sweet tooth is acting out

Jen D.
are those veggies all raw? OH my that looks so yummy!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #85
HummusDip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady
would you mind posting your fake cheese sauce for your enchiladas...please....
Yup, it's got cashews in it too. Here it is...

Cheese Sauce (modified from the 7 Secrets book)

1 cup raw cashews
2 cups water
1/2 large or 1 small red bellpepper or 1/4 cup pimientos or a handful of baby carrots or 1-2 medium carrots
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp onion powder
2 tbs food yeast flakes (optional, I leave it out 'cause I hate it in this recipe)
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Blend until smooth. Place in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring until thick. Use for pizza, lasagna, burritoes, etc...

I usually make this every week and have it sitting in the fridge.

Jen D.
ummm YUM!!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:25 PM   #86
HummusDip

Quote:
Today was a good day BUT I started sliding at the end and really had a hard time eating only what was on my plate. I did end up getting seconds of supper and there were a few snacks in between that weren't really needed.

So for breakfast, lunch and dinner, here it goes:

Corn chex with blueberries and soy milk

Four corn tortilla tostadas with sloppy jo stuff on it

Macaroni and Cheese with a Tofu Patty with BBQ sauce

Not pictured, dried banana leather (about a 1/2 cup), Starbucks Venti Shaken Lemonade Iced Tea (with Passion tea) (I was SO hungry and thirsty, I feel really good about keeping myself from the really fatty stuff or the snacks at Starbucks), several more tofu patties as I was making them and after they were done.

Let me know what you want recipes for and I'll put them up on Thursday.

I desperately need to eat more veggies...

Jen D.
Couple questions, what is that on your toast? Also what the sloppy joe stuff? And I want the recipe for that macaroni and cheese! And the tofu patty recipe!

THANKS a bunch Jen!~
Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 AM   #87
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTiger
So you just saute the corn and navy beans with the onion an squash? In what oil? And are the navy beans pre soaked then? Do you season them at all? That breakfast looks fantastic.
When I saute corn, I use pam cooking spray. There is a trick to non-stick, non-oil saute-ing some things like garlic and onions and it works well with squash too. I think I posted it a while back, let me check... Yep, in my marinara recipe, I talked about carmelizing onions and you can use this method for garlic, onion, squash, eggplant, and a few other veggies that have a similar texture. Here's the directions for that:

Quote:
Next, take the onions and throw them into the frying pan. We're going to carmelize them without oil. Add just a bit of water (maybe a tablespoon or two), keep the stove on high. Let the water saute down till it's gone and let the onions stick just a slight bit, add another 1-2 tablespoons water and stir to unstick the onion. You'll notice that the onions start to turn a slight brown. Repeat this process once or twice until the onions are nice and honey colored. They will be sweet at this time, usually, too.
As far as the corn goes, if you use a bit of Pam spray, it will allow the corn to kinda roast up a bit, but you can always do the same thing as you would do with the onion if you are looking to cut the fat or you don't use Pam spray. I've done it both ways and it really depends on how I'm feeling. You can also use just a bit of soy sauce, maybe 1/2 and 1/2 with the water, if you are doing the low-fat version and that will give it a bit more flavor, but it WILL darken it.

The navy beans are from a can so they are cooked already. I usually crock-pot a batch and freeze it in sandwich size ziplocks (they hold about the same as a can does), but I was out of the frozen stock so I reached for a can. They were put in towards the end of the cooking just to heat them up as they tend to be a softer cooked bean anyway.

Quote:
Couple questions, what is that on your toast? Also what the sloppy joe stuff? And I want the recipe for that macaroni and cheese! And the tofu patty recipe!
I think the toast had just a strawberry jam on them. My mama made some a few months ago and it does have sugar in it. It is stinkin' good!!!

The sloppy joes were posted just a bit above that in post 34. I need to make them again, they are SCRUMPTIOUS!! The mac and cheese recipe is as follows:

Macaroni and Cheese (adapted from the 7 Secrets book)

3 cups macaroni
1 can coconut milk
1 1/4 c water
1/4 c nutritional yeast (I cut this down because I'm not a big fan of it, but others like it)
2 tsp salt
1/2 c raw cashew pieces
1/4-1/2 c carrots, chopped and steamed until soft
3 tbs lemon juice
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp onion powder

Follow directions on package to cook/boil macaroni until soft

Meanwhile, blend the rest of the ingredients about 2 minutes or until very very smooth

Drain the cooked macaroni and mix in large bowl with the blended macaroni and cook together until thick, stirring gently.

Cover and let sit 5-10 min and serve or put in an oiled casserole, cover with bread crumbs and bake until toasty on top.

I'm not totally sure about the tofu patties. I'm thinking they're this recipe.

Tofu-Walnut Patties (from the 7 secrets)

2 c soft bread crumbs
1/4 c finely chopped walnuts
1/2 c quick oats
1/2 finely diced onions (or 1/4 c dried onion flakes)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp Chicken-flavored seasoning
16 oz brick tofu
1/2 cup water
2 tbs bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce

Put bread crumbs, walnuts, oats, onions, and seasonings in a large bowl.

Blend or process tofu with water and braggs or soy sauce. Add to the bread crumb mixture in the bowl and mix well.

Form balls, either with an ice cream scoop or by hand (wet your hands just slightly first). If desired, press gently to flatten into patties. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and bottom.

Quote:

are those veggies all raw? OH my that looks so yummy!
I've labeled what was raw and what wasn't...

From our garden:
RAW squash
COOKED swiss chard
RAW alfalfa and radish sprouts
RAW watermelon radish
RAW jalapenos

Not from our garden:
RAW tomatoes
COOKED beans
COOKED brown rice
ROASTED potatoes

Hope that answers all your questions. Thanks for reading and responding

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 07-26-2008, 03:35 AM   #88
TinyTotMommy

Jen, thank you for sharing all the yummy recipes and pics. Do you think it's okay to substitute nutritional yeast in the powder form for the yeast flakes? I'm thinking in particular of your cheese sauce recipe. If so, do you think you would use more or less? I don't have any flakes, but, I have a whole can of the powder.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:35 AM   #89
TinyTotMommy

Jen, thank you for sharing all the yummy recipes and pics. Do you think it's okay to substitute nutritional yeast in the powder form for the yeast flakes? I'm thinking in particular of your cheese sauce recipe. If so, do you think you would use more or less? I don't have any flakes, but, I have a whole can of the powder.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #90
Atarah

Are you still eating vegan? I've been missing your pictures and recipe ideas.

ETA: just saw another post you made. I'm looking forward to new pics when you get home, and are feeling better.