Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gf df meal ideas for fussy eating kid

I need new ideas.. mostly for lunches her go to is pbj and fruit but she had been balking at that
I've googled ideas but what the internet considers kid friendly mine views as poison.
Ideas?
Quiteria (03-25-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gf df meal ideas for fussy eating kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
I need new ideas.. mostly for lunches her go to is pbj and fruit but she had been balking at that
I've googled ideas but what the internet considers kid friendly mine views as poison.
Ideas?
My kids absolutely love raw Thai spring rolls. They're a great take-along lunch with a little peanut sauce for dipping (or sunbutter sauce if she can't have peanuts). Noodles in Thai peanut sauce (or sun butter sauce) go over well with my kids, too. Also ds1 loves lemon rice. Fried rice without soy sauce is good, too- just rice fried in oil with salt, pepper, and whatever veggies she will eat.

A trail mix is a decent lunch, too- whatever nuts (candy-coated if necessary ) with dried fruit and even some dry cereal in there is good (the cereal makes it cheaper).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
My kids absolutely love raw Thai spring rolls. They're a great take-along lunch with a little peanut sauce for dipping (or sunbutter sauce if she can't have peanuts). Noodles in Thai peanut sauce (or sun butter sauce) go over well with my kids, too. Also ds1 loves lemon rice. Fried rice without soy sauce is good, too- just rice fried in oil with salt, pepper, and whatever veggies she will eat.

A trail mix is a decent lunch, too- whatever nuts (candy-coated if necessary ) with dried fruit and even some dry cereal in there is good (the cereal makes it cheaper).
She wont do spring rolls she's eat it all separately except the wrap but not together. She hates pasta of any type but she does like rice. I struggle getting protein into her any ideas for that?
Old 03-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
She wont do spring rolls she's eat it all separately except the wrap but not together. She hates pasta of any type but she does like rice. I struggle getting protein into her any ideas for that?
Protein isn't something to be too worried about- really almost everything has protein and there's a lot of hype about protein lately but it's not worth worrying about in this country. If she doesn't want pbj in a sandwich will she dip apple slices or a banana in peanut butter? I like that but I do not like pbj sandwiches. Eggs are pretty versatile, too- tons of cute ideas on pinterest like baking them in muffin cups. You could send french toast triangles with syrup dip for lunch (I know you said gf but assuming you have some kind of gf bread) or you can make pancakes or crepes and roll them up with something on the inside (jelly, peanut butter, pb banana, etc). You could also try different kinds of "breads" for her pbj- like maybe she doesn't like it on regular bread but she'd eat it on a pita or a tortilla or a pancake. And instead of pbj you could do honey, banana, some kind of chocolate sauce, etc. You could also do tortilla chips with some kind of bean dip.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

she wont dip things, doesn't like "other breads" like tortillas etc however she loves when i make quick breads so any good recipies in that department welcomed. I calculated her food intake last week and she was easily under 500 calories a day. She'll eat like salad greens all day long likes munching on fruit I can maybe get a couple of eggs into her and if lucky a bite or two of what ever meat I've made but with her basically dropping the nutbutters shes barely getting in calories. She wont touch the veggies or fruit though if I add oils dressing or dips though.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Well, I have no idea what your picky kid will and won't eat, but i'll give you a list of our go to snacky and lunch pail things that we use for our gf kids and you can pick and choose if any work for you.

nuts (peanuts, cashews, pecans, almonds and whatever else we have on hand), mixed with whatever the individual kids prefers (raisins, other dried fruit, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, etc)

muffins. I pretty much make a batch of muffins daily of a wide variety. These are go to's for school snacks and lunches as well as after school snacks.

rice cakes, topped with peanut butter or something else that the child prefers.

raw veggies. My kids love red pepper, carrots, cucumber, sugar snap peas

cut up fresh fruit.

Applesauce.

Larabars or other gf/df snack type bars.

corn chips and guacamole.

This is all stuff that we use for packed lunches and school snacks. Meals prepped to be eaten at home obviously offer much more flexibility.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

My ds doesn't really like nut butters in a sandwich, nor will he eat them with fruit, but he likes them in smoothies.
Will she eat meatballs or little patties? My kids like those better texture-wise.
Avocado? My kids like it mashed up with just a little salt and garlic powder. We eat it on raw veggies, corn chips, or toast. I like avocado on my egg, but my kids do not.
Does she like meal salads? What about tuna salad? I mix up tuna with mayo (I know, I know) and a little mustard and serve on spinach, tomatoes, and other raw veggies. Chef salads are also beloved by my family. No cheese, just some deli meat or cooked chicken, lots of raw veggies, olives and sunflower seeds.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

If she likes mashed potato, you could make up that and add a raw egg, seasonings of choice (as well as any onions/garlic/leeks) chopped spinach are a little carrots and English Peas.......... or plain and fry it up like you would patties. (I have been craving them and they can easily be simple or complex.)

Quinoa patties.......... again, you could make these as plain or spicey as you like and hide some veggies in them. Fry it and either eat alone, with scrambled eggs or on a sandwich. (Just make sure to rinse the quinoa before cooking it to remove the bitter taste.)

Veggie burgers made with rice/ chopped walnuts, and hide as many things in it as you care to get away with.

Quick breads. Zucchinni bread you could make these sweet or savory.
Muffins made with cornmeal could add in veggies if desired.
You could also hide in cooked shredded chicken and a few veggies for a savory meal substitute (individual casserole)

Does you daughter like spaghetti sauce? youcould hide pureed veggies and or meat and just serve it like a mild chilli or over rice since she doesn't like pasta.

Does she care for meat loaf? You could make stuffed cabbage leaves or make the meat loaf in small form and wrap in lettuce leaves. (I hide spinach in my meatloaf as well as flax/hemp and chia seeds to boost it and add moisture.)

Smoothies are good and can hide a lot of fruits and if you add a handful of spinach at the end you can't taste the spinach, but it adds a beautiful color. If you wanted to add some slices of beet, it will puree and make a lovely BarneyPurple drink.

If she will eat celery, there is always ants on a log (peanut butter and raisins)
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-18-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 AM   #9
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Thanks guys some good ideas. I was inspired to do a little pre "cooking" for her. Were in that lovely time of the month where it isn't too long before payday but till them were pretty much limited to what we have here..

So tonight I made

GF carrot/applesauce muffins (GF flour baking soda, cinnamon nutmeg coconut oil and ginger honey unsweetened applesauce and carrots)

took a lb of grass fed beef and made some "sliders" (or Margaret sized patties) flash froze them and they will be ready to just quickly pan fry.

eggs right now are $.79 cents a dozen while it is for the conventional for that price I'm willing to go with it.. Bought a pack and boiled them up for quick "snacking or to add to a salad etc..

made up some mock vegan marshmallow fluff.. I say mock because I used honey to sweeten it.
I figure everything is better with fluff she LOOVES peanut butter and fluff sandwiches but obviously I dont want that to be something she consumes on a regular basis. I figured this would be a better choice..

we had some fluff left over

some we made some meringue cookies

Cecilia however didn't listen when I told her to set the oven the 200 and she did it at 400 and I didn't catch the mistake right off.. Luckily I did fairly fast but we had to pull the meringue cookies out and let the oven adjust its time a bit.. They swelled up a bunch but then kinda of deflated before we got them back in...

they were still yummy though

Its not a bunch of stuff but hopefully it will encourage her to take in a bit more. We have plenty of fresh fruits and veggies she'll eat. I guess good news is she will eat those things pretty easily. Hopefully the above will help push a few more calories into her day without resorting to junk.

Both my kids have been no sauces no smoothies etc kids wont touch soups either. Margaret wont touch pasta sauce and is pretty finicky with pasta it self. (she'll eat spaghetti but no other "shape") she hates mashed potatoes or potatoes in most ways but does love when I make french fries (but not pre packaged or fast food ones)

today she had..

breakfast
2 scrambled eggs (in coconut oil)

water

lunch
an apple gate farms chicken hot dog with an obscene amount of ketchup and some apple slices

cup vanilla almond milk

snack
GF annies double chocolate granola bar

dinner-
like three thin small bites flat iron steak
cup or two of spinach with a sliced carrot and like five cherry tomatoes

stevia sweetend ice tea

Nutrution wise its not too awful..
Calorie wise I'm estimating around 950-1,000 which isnt as bad as other days but still seems low to me.

Her doctor says rule of thumb is about 32 calories per lb of weight which means she really should be getting at least 1300 to maintain her weight which is already in the underweight category. I know kids eat when they are hungry and I'd say she does but she'll pretty much always go for like a celery stick or a handful of grapes.. Great but does little to encourage calories.

hopefully the above will help bulk up her calories.
2sunshines (03-19-2017), Maedchen (03-19-2017), Singingmom (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 04:41 AM   #10
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

what did she like before her diet had to change?
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #11
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot View Post
what did she like before her diet had to change?
Dairy
Nutbutters ( can still have)
Veggies and fruits
Chicken beef pork she liked and still likes most meat she is just eating really small amounts of it.
She always had a tiny appetite but took in enough fatty foods I didn't worry too much whole milk yogurt and cheeses nut butters etc..now with no dairy and her suddenly anti the nut butters it's getting harder.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

My beautiful muffins....not sure why I let them cool them wrapped a plate with them (plastic wrap) and put them in the fridge. This morning however they were totally molded. had to toss them all.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #12
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Can u share that fluff recipe and how to make into cookies

And I've ruined baked goods that way too

ETA: missed a post. We've started collagen protein and it's really been a good thing for my picky kid. I disagree the protein push is hype.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
knitlove (03-23-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #13
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
Can u share that fluff recipe and how to make into cookies

And I've ruined baked goods that way too

ETA: missed a post. We've started collagen protein and it's really been a good thing for my picky kid. I disagree the protein push is hype.
It's whipped canned chick pea water with honey and vanilla.
Drain the water from can of chick peas or white beans unsalted preferred but I've successfully used both add sweetener most any can be used we like raw honey. Whip with electric mixer (I just have a hand mixer) for about 10 minutes or so until you get stiff peeks like a meringue or marshmallow fuff consistently. Cream of tartar can be added for stability but I don't.

For meringue cookies preheat oven to 200 place dollop by teaspoon on parchment or lightly greased sheet pan..baked 1.5-2 hours rotate once half way through if you remember.. let cool a bit and enjoy. Time will depend of you like them a bit more chewy or crisp.

Tell me more on the collagen protein how are you giving it? I realize my daughter doesn't need a porterhouse steak a day in protein but I do feel she needs more than she is currently getting. The few gf substitute foods we buy like gf bread or gf pasta and pretty lacking in any nutrition to their conventional counter options. I've had minimal success making the substitute where she will eat it.. plus honestly it's more time consuming than I need for now.. so they serve more as a way to help fill her but not a big added nutritional value. I can also bulk up her daily calories with junk food.. like a bought a pack of peep bunnies as a special gf treat she loooves those and would happily eat all 12 at once... sure calories feast but ummm no. You get two a day kid. More than enough...
Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #14
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I put collagen in my coffee or tea. It pretty much dissolves instantly and has no flavor. (I drink coffee and tea black and don't use sweeteners.)

You could also try grass-fed gelatin treats if she likes the texture. My kids will eat gummies all day long.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-19-2017), tempus vernum (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried nut butter muffins?

I buy Jarrow rice protein from Amazon. Very affordable. I add it to all baked goods to boost protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-19-2017), tempus vernum (03-19-2017)