Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #76
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spin off: Home school vs. public school at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubnme
OK, I think I'm getting what y'all are saying about the importance of making a distinction between the different types of schooling when talking about laws and homeschooling. But do you think the distinction important when you're talking about support groups? Where does it go from clarification to exclusion? Again, just an outsider trying to understand... (I "homeschooled" Julius for preschool, but was more of an unschooler and didn't really get connected with homeschool community at large per se, so I guess I missed this whole controversy.)
Personally I don't think your run of the mill homeschool support group/co-op should care. All of us who are using homebased alternative schooling (how do we like that term?) should be supportive of one another in that setting because we do all deal with some common issues and struggles. I know how it feels to be given the cold shoulder like that...I am an unschool minded individual in an area with mostly some variety of school-at-home being the norm and I have been excluded from certain groups because of it. I am speaking to this as someone who is on the board of our regional homeschooling association in a county that is largely hostile to homeschooling (we've had to battle daytime curfew laws, we've had to battle getting our kids treated the same as other privately schooled kids...its not pretty) and who will most likely be the next legislative liaison from that association so it is critical that I understand and deal with this from a political perspective. The fact is that ALL alternative schooling choices are being threatened due to the ill advised GWB initiative No Child Left Behind. Private schools are facing scrutiny that they haven't dealt with in decades, if ever. At least in this state. Schooling decisions were NEVER supposed to be made at a federal level. They have NO clue what goes on in the local school systems nor how to solve problems unique to those systems. That is why school boards have always existed at the local level. I am a stickler for explicit language when talking about school choice because the fact is that ALL of us are threatened at the moment. And the more of us we can show are out here and the variety we can prove exists makes it far more difficult for the federal government to force regulation upon any one of us, therefore keeping us collectively safer. Does that make sense?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #77
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Terri and all. I get it. And I think everyone is also agreeing that even with being clear that VA doesn't equal homeschooling, VA families need the same support, encouragement and respect as other homeschoolers.

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

Old 02-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #78
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubnme
Thank you, Terri and all. I get it. And I think everyone is also agreeing that even with being clear that VA doesn't equal homeschooling, VA families need the same support, encouragement and respect as other homeschoolers.
Absolutely!

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Old 02-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #79
AdrienneQW
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

AdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The fact is that ALL alternative schooling choices are being threatened due to the ill advised GWB initiative No Child Left Behind. Private schools are facing scrutiny that they haven't dealt with in decades, if ever. At least in this state. Schooling decisions were NEVER supposed to be made at a federal level. They have NO clue what goes on in the local school systems nor how to solve problems unique to those systems. That is why school boards have always existed at the local level. I am a stickler for explicit language when talking about school choice because the fact is that ALL of us are threatened at the moment.
That.

And wouldn't you know it, my "I Terri" shirt is in the wash...
Proud mama of Dexter (Feb 2002) and Celeste (April 2005)
Always loving Thomas William (03/04)
Old 02-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #80
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

You can borrow my " I Teri " screen saver if you want.

Seriously though Teri...you show the importance (and the passion ) of the work our founding homeschooling families went thru to even get where we are today...which granted , is STRIDES from where they were...but we still have SO far to go.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #81
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

I actually agree with you terri. And some sort of term like independent study is best. What I agree with most of all is that NCLB is the biggest threat to education - and not just to HS , but private and even public. Now in public teacher teach to the test. They no longer teach as much art, history, and social studies, teaching a "different way" to learn something is unaccaptable. Even my retired PS teaching mom did not like NCLB.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 02-16-2008, 01:43 AM   #82
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone remember when kindergarden was an OPTION??? Or am I showing my age??? Slowly, oh so s l o w l y, the option to send your child a year earlier to school became the standard.

Now there is so much talk about preschool. I am scared to think that 20 years from now preschool will be the new kindergarden. No one will ever remember it being an option.

That is what I am afraid of with the public school's VA. Before you know it, their ideas will become the norm.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:55 AM   #83
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Kindergarten is still not required in CA but nobody even knows that.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 02-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #84
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Micaela
Kindergarten is still not required in CA but nobody even knows that.
Same with here in PA. Actually no one here is required to attend school until they're 8 but no one knows that either.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Old 02-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #85
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

Kindergarten is not required for our state, either. But we are a very conservative state. I, too, hope that preschool is never even a state option, for the same reason as a pp said. Kids just shouldn't have to go to school until they're ready.

After reading this thread, I have a few questions. I feel like I should feel guilty for being in a VCS. But I just don't see how my doing that is really going to effect homeschool laws.

1. Virtual Academies have been around for a while now. Have any states changed their homeschooling laws because of them? In our state (which is SUPER easy to homeschool in), the VAs have a much harder time than homeschoolers. VAs are always fighting in the legislature for rights, but homeschoolers aren't. So I guess, seeing that, I don't see how VAs can negatively effect homeschooling laws. Because they seem to be two very different sets of laws. And the public schools are quite threatened by the VAs, and not so much the homeschoolers. (Maybe we are acting as a buffer for the homeschoolers in our state. )

2. VAs do all the state testing and use state compliant curriculum, yet do much better in general than kids that do similar things in brick & mortar schools. Doesn't that help show how beneficial it is for kids to be educated by a loving parent/grandparent/etc.? Why wouldn't that help the homeschooling movement?

3. I don't see how a wide range of educational choices can ever be bad. It gives parents the option to choose what's best for their families, and makes the public schools more competitive. Homeschooling or home education just isn't for everyone.

4. I see VAs as a way to use my tax money to educate my children in the way that's best for our family. I know a lot of you don't agree with that, but my dh feels really strongly about it. We'll likely be doing an IDEA school this coming year. I will have freedom to choose her education plan/curriculum, but will get some reimbursement for expenses from the state. We're struggling to be a single income family; my dh works hard, but doesn't make a huge amount of money. Anything I can do to cut costs in hs'ing (or whatever is the PC term for what I'm doing is here) is appreciated by him.

So tell me. . . what's wrong with the way I'm thinking? I just really don't understand. :/
Old 02-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #86
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

((((((((Kristin))))))))

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Old 02-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #87
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2Momof4
((((((((Kristin))))))))
Thanks. I want to come to your house for tea!

I'm not trying to stir up conflict at all; but I've had such a positive experience with VCSs, and I just really don't understand why they are a problem.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #88
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Savannah
So tell me. . . what's wrong with the way I'm thinking? I just really don't understand. :/
It sounds to me like you've made an educated decision about what works for your family.

It's hard (for me) to talk about the issue solely from a philosophical or political perspective because real people are just trying to make the best pragmatic choice for their families. In the midst of a discussion on the broader issue it can sound like you're being pulled aside and told, "You know, you're not really homeschooling." I don't believe that's the point of this thread but I can understand hearing it that way.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #89
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Savannah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2Momof4
((((((((Kristin))))))))
Thanks. I want to come to your house for tea!

I'm not trying to stir up conflict at all; but I've had such a positive experience with VCSs, and I just really don't understand why they are a problem.
How's coffee?

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #90
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Coffee's great!
Closed Thread