Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
Default reasons to spay/neuter -- do you have resources on this you can share?

Do you have any good links you can share on the importance/benefits of spaying/neutering cats and dogs? 

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reasons to spay/neuter -- do you have resources on this you can share?

http://www.spayusa.org/main_director...enefits_sn.asp
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...opt_spayneuter
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/my...neutering.html
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reasons to spay/neuter -- do you have resources on this you can share?

Oh, that's great! Thank you!

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

I haven't looked around this website, but I have used their services.
Spay and Stay

This is for trap-neuter-release programs. In my area, the cost is $25/cat. You borrow a trap; catch a cat; drop it off at the designated place and time; the cat gets vet checked for diseases; gets shots including a 5 yr rabies; gets altered, microchipped, and the ear notched; you pick up the cat and care for it for a few days; then release it back into your neighborhood.
You can read on the web site the benefits of altering feral cats in your neighborhood rather than destroying them.
I used S&S for Roscoe, a mama cat in my neighborhood, about 3 years ago. She's a solitary cat, and had at least 3 litters of kittens in 2 years. I've signed up to do 1 or 2 more cats later this month.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In six years, one un-spayed female dog and her un-spayed offspring can theoretically produce 67,000 dogs.
One un-spayed female cat and one un-neutered male cat and their offspring can result in 420,000 kittens in 7 years.
A female cat can have 29 litters in 10 years.
A male cat can sire as many as 2,500 kittens in a single year, and a male dog can sire almost as many puppies.
Only 1 in 9 cats and dogs born in the US will find homes.
http://www.wataugahumanesociety.org/...ter/index.html

Low cost/free spay neuter programs:

http://www.petsandanimals.org/spayneuter_services.html

http://neuterspay.org/

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

http://www.spayusa.org/

http://www.dcspca.org/mainpages/spayneuter.htm

http://www.thinkingoutsidethecage.or...CostSpayNeuter

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-03-2013)
Old 12-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Zoesmama

I adopted 3 kitties from my best friend last year because I knew she'd never get them given away and will not give them to a shelter even a no kill one so they end up staying in her garage(roaming neighborhood w/coyotes EEK) and one tom that is constantly getting them pregnant. I got all 3 that I adopted fixed with a low cost mobile unit that came into Petco lot. $20/a piece. It was a line and lots of people lined up early to get in. A lot were doing feral cats. AWWW
Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
chigasaki
Deactivated

chigasaki has a reputation beyond reputechigasaki has a reputation beyond reputechigasaki has a reputation beyond reputechigasaki has a reputation beyond reputechigasaki has a reputation beyond reputechigasaki has a reputation beyond reputechigasaki has a reputation beyond reputechigasaki has a reputation beyond reputechigasaki has a reputation beyond reputechigasaki has a reputation beyond reputechigasaki has a reputation beyond repute
sensitive Re: reasons to spay/neuter -- do you have resources on this you can share?

Absolutely!

Pyometra

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2109&aid=918
http://petsmd.com/Health/Dogs/Pyometra
http://omalmalamutes.com/omal/pyometra.htm

My dog, Luma, is a Siberian Husky (IOW, hyperactive!) and loves to jump up and give me kisses every morning. She never leaves a bit of her home-cooked food in her bowl.

But last Tuesday, something changed. One morning, she didn't get out of her bed. I tried to say "good morning" to her, but she wouldn't even lift her head. I asked her if she was hungry, but no response. I forced myself to stay calm and tried to feed her… but she wouldn't eat. I knew something was wrong before I even touched her skin, which was extremely hot. Then I noticed that she had some cloudy white/yellow vaginal discharge.

My husband and I got her to the vet, where we found out she had a temperature of 103.5 (high fever in a dog) and a very high white blood cell count, indicating a possible infection. They wanted to keep her overnight. They told us they would need to do an emergency spay the next morning.

We prayed and prayed, and were able to bring her home the next afternoon (Wednesday). We carefully kept her away from her sister (litter-mate) for an entire week.

Then this morning… my husband took her and her sister outside, and when he brought them back in, he told me she was bleeding from her vagina. I immediately knew that was wrong. Within the 10 minutes it took us to quickly get dressed, Luma passed several huge blood clots. I got her into the car while my husband locked up. Then blood started, quite literally, pouring from her vagina. On the way to the vet, she laid her head down, and I was terrified she had passed.

Thankfully we made it to the vet within 30 minutes of the start of the bleeding. They got her into emergency surgery (again). According to the vet, they were able to stabilize her and within a few hours, she was waking up from her surgery and starting to walk around. The vet told me that the leftover uterine stump had rotted away and exposed a blood vessel. She had lost a large amount of blood. But she's okay… praise the Lord! God-willing, we will be picking her up tomorrow afternoon.

Please, please spay your pets. Pyometra is always fatal if left untreated! And it is more common than you would think.

Last edited by chigasaki; 04-13-2012 at 11:52 PM.
chigasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chigasaki For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-03-2013)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Go look at your local shelter. See how many unwanted animals are killed at shelters that do not have room.

That is why to spay and neuter your pets!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Bonnie (10-03-2013), klpmommy (02-06-2014)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We are waiting to neuter our German Shepherd until he is about 2 years old. There is info that hip dysplasia in large breeds can be prevented by allowing the sex hormones to tell the bones when to stop growing. That and feeding a low-calcium diet (less than 1.4% calcium).

But we're definitely getting him neutered, just waiting.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Bonnie (10-03-2013), JoannaV (10-03-2013), kiloyd (10-03-2013)
Old 10-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #10
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

In addition, the overpopulation of cats is messing with the ecosystem. A neighbor told me that there used to be tons of birds, quails., pheasants on LI. The cats have eaten the birds, which has led to an over abundance of mosquitos and bugs which spread disease. Too many deer=ticks and Lyme disease that spreads to the cats and can spread to humans as well. I took the 4 kittens and their mama to be spayed and neutered this month. Also, I cannot handle more cats plus children right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote