Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Well we read "It's Not the Stork" today!

The girls really never ask questions, but I figured maybe they didn't know what to ask. It came in the mail this morning and we sat down and read it together. So now they've been introduced to it all. I am so glad to have that over with, the door is wide open and we have a good place to organically discuss it.

Thank you GCM's for the resources, I never would have known where to start with this. I am really glad to have all the facts out there.

I needed a place to kind of *sigh of relief* that we got that out of the way: the hardest part for me was opening the door intentionally.

I wanted to add, we've always been quite open and have only recently put more limits on nakedness (mainly eh asks the older two fir privacy if there isn't any point of them being in the bathroom)... and they used to ask a lot of questions. It feels goodnto have a new way to read and discuss together.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 06-19-2014 at 05:42 PM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (01-04-2015), BarefootBetsy (06-19-2014), Dtswife (06-22-2014), saturnfire16 (06-19-2014), Soliloquy (06-19-2014), Sparrow (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well we read "It's Not the Stork" today!

Woohoo, you did it! We got a couple books for ds to start slowly learning about that stuff too a few months ago. And, I'm glad we are starting early as well, so it's never a weird conversation. Totally opposite from hearing how dh's parents just didn't give "the talk" ever! I want my kids to be comfortable talking about it with us and feel like it's fine to come with any questions. Okay, stepping off my soapbox. The stork book is on my list to possibly get a year or so from now. Are you glad you picked it? What ages do you think it's best for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopetobe View Post
Woohoo, you did it! We got a couple books for ds to start slowly learning about that stuff too a few months ago. And, I'm glad we are starting early as well, so it's never a weird conversation. Totally opposite from hearing how dh's parents just didn't give "the talk" ever! I want my kids to be comfortable talking about it with us and feel like it's fine to come with any questions. Okay, stepping off my soapbox. The stork book is on my list to possibly get a year or so from now. Are you glad you picked it? What ages do you think it's best for?

I am glad I went with it. it gave a straight forward simple explanation of inside and outside of bodies, and the basics of sex and how the sperm and egg work. it says for ages 4 and up- my 2 year old was interested in all the babies towards the end of the book, and the "two babies mil-tees" ( nursing twins depicted) at the end of the book.

I am glad we're starting now as well.

dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

We have it, I can't wait to start it.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well we read "It's Not the Stork" today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
We have it, I can't wait to start it.

I had to listen to some Dobson tapes on a mother-daughter weekend my mom took me on. There seemed to be tons and tons of them and the whole weekend was just about listening to them in the car and the hotel, ick. I have no idea now what they talked about, could have been sex . I guess I blocked them out or maybe I wasn't really listening, I don't know. I just remember one might have been talking about life being a road...but maybe I am mixing it up with the Life is a Highway song - self protection! They were so boring.

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hopetobe For This Useful Post:
Katigre (06-19-2014), Sparrow (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

A's cousins are going to be away for a month so this is probably a good time to get this book. I was worried she would want to share her processing with them (ages 6 and 8) and their mother would have my head.

Does the book use the words "spouse/husband/wife" at all? Or do they say "partner". Or just mommy/daddy man/woman?
I'm pretty particular about language with this subject.

Eta: I just read quite a few Amazon reviews and got the answers I was looking for

Last edited by Beth1231; 06-19-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

I believe it was just man and woman boy and girl are the only terms used.
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (06-20-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Katigre; 11-22-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (06-20-2014), Laurlor (01-04-2015), Llee (01-04-2015), Tasmanian Saint (07-11-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
sara1215
Rose Blossom

This is my story

sara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to behold

I have this book too. Have read it myself and thought it was great. I was going to wait until DD (5) started asking questions, but maybe I should just read it with her now. My sister is pregnant, maybe that would be a good intro to bring it up with DD.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 AM   #10
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1215 View Post
I have this book too. Have read it myself and thought it was great. I was going to wait until DD (5) started asking questions, but maybe I should just read it with her now. My sister is pregnant, maybe that would be a good intro to bring it up with DD.
I was thinking I would wait.... but then I was starting to wonder if dd1 was just too shy, she always gets so embarrassed during love scenes (talking old micky and Minnie shorts and Garfield a la John Arbuckle ) so I figured it couldn't hurt/I probably should, if she was just not sure what or how to ask.

Go with your gut?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

We started last night. As we got to the part about erections, and how penises sometimes get hard Max says "Hey! Mine's hard right now! Its sticking up!" Which of course caused Bear and me to laugh. And then he says "look I was kidding! But that was FUNNY wasn't it!" 5.5 y/o boys.

We didn't finish. We're talking about girl parts today.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (07-11-2014), Hopetobe (06-20-2014), squiddles (06-21-2014), ValiantJoy07 (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
I think that was a 'thing' to do with your child back in the 90's. My parents did that with me too (mom with me, dad with my brother). The nasaly voice of James Dobson just about did me in! Especially when he would pronounce puberty .
Oh, maybe that explains why I cringe a little and picture someone nasaly saying it when I hear that word!

Sorry for the tangent!

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Old 06-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

So I'm the mom who is open to answering any question honestly. And that was my plan with sex too. Even if they were really young. We don't hide nakedness but respect wanted privacy. We are open about all that.

Yet somehow I now have a soon-to-be 9 year old who hasn't a CLUE about anything sex related. He's NEVER asked! I even try to make leading comments but nope....

I'm going to have to make a plan to introduce it very soon.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (06-20-2014), graciousmomma (01-04-2015), Soliloquy (06-22-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Default Well we read "It's Not the Stork" today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
We started last night. As we got to the part about erections, and how penises sometimes get hard Max says "Hey! Mine's hard right now! Its sticking up!" Which of course caused Bear and me to laugh. And then he says "look I was kidding! But that was FUNNY wasn't it!" 5.5 y/o boys.

We didn't finish. We're talking about girl parts today.
Hmm, maybe I should get the stork book already

Edited for privacy

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09

Last edited by Hopetobe; 06-23-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi View Post
So I'm the mom who is open to answering any question honestly. And that was my plan with sex too. Even if they were really young. We don't hide nakedness but respect wanted privacy. We are open about all that.

Yet somehow I now have a soon-to-be 9 year old who hasn't a CLUE about anything sex related. He's NEVER asked! I even try to make leading comments but nope....

I'm going to have to make a plan to introduce it very soon.
That's what is going on here too. We were bathing earlier today, so I casually started trying to discuss how funny it is that girls have so many different parts with so many names, and wouldn't it be cool if we looked at this awesome book I have that goes into some of the detail... She said "I am not going to be a doctor, so I don't need to know all that."

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Auroras mom For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (07-11-2014), graciousmomma (07-11-2014), Hopetobe (06-21-2014), Llee (01-04-2015), lucie (06-20-2014), MercyInDisguise (06-23-2014), momzilla76 (07-12-2014), Rugayatu (07-11-2014), Soliloquy (06-22-2014), Sparrow (06-20-2014), squiddles (06-21-2014), ValiantJoy07 (06-20-2014)