Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 03-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default "allergy" response or age thing?

Margaret been gluten free for about 3 year now. She been tested for Celiacs and she is not.. Basically doctors think she had more a leaky gut making her very sensitive to the gluten but we've held on to hope that one days she'd not be so sensitive or may even "outgrow" the issue. Over the last year or so we have noticed she not nearly as sensitive to cross contamination. About twice a year we under her Drs okay reintroduce some gluten to see how she reacts. In the past she gone as much as two weeks with out a hint of an issue then it gets ugly...
I promised we could do another try after the holidays and we did the first trial run this past week. The first thing she got was a biscuit. Like one of those refrigerated pop can type. She did fine.. The next day I allowed her another and again no issues. After each she asked for another but I said no THe first time she pouted a bit but moved on.. The next she yelled that I was mean and stomped off in a rage but again it passed...
I made another batch tonight with dinner (chicken red potatoes and asparagus) and again I allowed her to have one.. This time though she went ballistic when I wouldn't allow her another. (and yes I set the boundary before and it was a batch of five only DH got 2) SHe threw and huge fit ran off screaming in her room for at least two hours. (and at almost 8 I haven't seem this level of tantrums since at least 2 even at 2 she didn't last this long).. Even after she "calmed" just her coming and seeing the empty plate was enough to set her off again.
I know that sometimes an allergy can cause someone to crave what they shouldn't have. I know it is probably impossible to know with one reaction... however for those that have delt with this does this seem like it might be that kind of reaction.. Or is it likely more kid over reaction scenario?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "allergy" response or age thing?

Could you try something else, like pasta?

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
MaySunflowers (03-04-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is a good idea.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:36 AM   #4
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter could react like that around age 9. We've not had food reactions in the form of behavior.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Llee (03-07-2018), milkmommy (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 01:03 AM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaySunflowers View Post
My daughter could react like that around age 9. We've not had food reactions in the form of behavior.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Oh I know it could its just we haven't seen it. She is just about to turn 8 so she could just be all out of sorts right now though.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #6
everybody's mother
Rose Bouquet

everybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a food sensitivity reaction to me, especially with the escalations.
everybody's mother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to everybody's mother For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (03-04-2018), HadassahSukkot (03-04-2018), milkmommy (03-04-2018), tempus vernum (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 03:53 AM   #7
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

If I have ever needed to test for sensitivities or allergies, I like to expose them to the food as benignly or unbenownst to them as possible. So for example if you bake gluten free, next time bake a similar recipe with gluten. OR if you do gluten free pancakes next time make gluten pancakes. Or even something as simple as cooking with a gluten containing ingredient. I find that eliminating as many other variables as possible (re-introducing a previously "forbidden" food, their knowledge of their exposure to gluten, etc) makes determining whether they're reacting to it the most effective.

In this case, I'd probably take her back off gluten for a bit (maybe a month???) then try again in a quieter way and see what happens.

Honestly, it's SO hard to know what's causing what so trial and error is really the best bet.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-04-2018), bananacake (03-05-2018), ECingMama (03-13-2018), everybody's mother (03-05-2018), graciousmomma (03-04-2018), Llee (03-07-2018), milkmommy (03-04-2018), Quiteria (03-04-2018), Virginia (03-07-2018), WanderingJuniper (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

For us that would be a gluten reaction. Bird c
Has is little emotional regulation when she gets exposed. Her only exposures happen with French fried or hot wings when we get take out. I like the idea of having the exposure be unknown. Switch out g pasta for regular or baked goods sounds like a good plan.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (03-05-2018), milkmommy (03-06-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #9
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

That us how my oldest and I react. After that, we have the really awful DH rash. Rages for us = contamination somewhere.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-06-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

That can definitely be a gluten reaction here heart

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-06-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #11
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

We see a behavior connection with cross contamination. But I would agree with introducing it secretly. Knowing about it can affect the results.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-04-2018), milkmommy (03-06-2018), rjy9343 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

We usually do it without her knowing. She knows we will start testing "next week" but not exactly when or with what. So good call on that.. she hasn't had another melt down nor any other obvious gluten exposure. Ill try again maybe next month but not tell her jic.
2sunshines (03-06-2018), everybody's mother (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #13
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my kids' food reactions are behavioral. Like the time my oldest cried through dinner after I let him have a GF candy cane joe joe cookie (contains soy).

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

In my house it would very much be an allergy reaction.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (03-06-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot View Post
That us how my oldest and I react. After that, we have the really awful DH rash. Rages for us = contamination somewhere.
my dd2 reacts with bizarre rages. I get irrational and sick and get the DH rash too.

It isn't just gluten that triggers dd2, oats, soy, and corn make her freak out too. We have recently had to cut out oats again, she is a mess for 2 days after she has a bowl of certified gluten free oatmeal, just not worth it.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (03-10-2018), milkmommy (03-07-2018)