Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute
Default I was an idiot and used bleach

I am TOTALY anti bleach but I was icked out by the state of our bath toys and creeped out by the black mold in our shower cracks And I was jsut afraid vinegar would not cut it. (getting al germ phoby. Want to kill something - use POISON, not FOOD )
So I spent a buck on a small bottle of bleach and filled the tub with water and some bleach and let the toys sit. And I sprayed the shower with bleach and water anywhere I saw a black spot

I let it sit over a day with it well vented.

BUt I forgot I had to come back and rinse it all down real well. NOw my eyes and nose are BURNING And that was with the winow open

At least the toys are mold and scum free and the tub/shower is *better*

Next time though I will use vinegar

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
momofsuper6
Deactivated

Growing and learning in The Lord

momofsuper6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I was an idiot and used bleach

Your not dumb.... I don't usually like Bleach in my house but if it was black mold I would be tempted myself! As long as it is rinsed off and aired out, you'll be able to maintain it now so you won't need bleach again!
momofsuper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #3
DavidKelleyMay18
Rose Trellis

DavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of lightDavidKelleyMay18 is a glorious beacon of light

I wash my white blinds in the tub with blinds. Thanks for the reminder to rinse really well afterwards. Isn't a clean tub a good feeling? I'm sorry initially it wasn't good w/burning eyes and all.
DavidKelleyMay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:42 AM   #4
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I have done that. . .

I decided to use vinegar with tto and hydrogen peroxide next time. . . maybe some thieves oil too I will probably end up blowing up the bathroom because I am so determined to not use bleach again. . . Actually, I really decided to avoid a next time by keeping my bathroom cleaner but it's not working that well. I may get a chance to try that concoction soon

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
Drew
Deactivated

Drew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely use bleach (like maybe once a year) but sometimes I see something gross enough that only bleach will do.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

I did that, and it was smack in the middle of dd's pregnancy! Like that's a great time to use bleach. :P I was just sick of looking at the mildew in our bathtub. I've since found that straight bleach doesn't do much against the mildew, but this tub and tile cleaner I've got that's super toxic and bleachy smelling will. I just have to spray, vent the room, walk away, and come back 5 mins later and rinse it. Minimal exposure that way, but it's still a bummer that that's the only thing I've found that works against mildew.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

next time you might try hydrogen perxoide instead of vinegar. It's worked really well on mold for me in our bathroom.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
Heather Micaela (10-16-2009), Hermana Linda (10-16-2009), Rose (10-16-2009)
Old 10-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

I will have to try the peroxide
I am glad it is rather clean though.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 10-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I learned that you should not mix two different kinds of toilet cleaner in the toilet - like when one bottle runs out and you squirt in some from another because one might have bleach and I guess the other had ammonia or something and man - the fumes - I immediately turned on the vent fan, but I think whatever those two chemicals were that I mixed should not be mixed.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
Well, I learned that you should not mix two different kinds of toilet cleaner in the toilet - like when one bottle runs out and you squirt in some from another because one might have bleach and I guess the other had ammonia or something and man - the fumes - I immediately turned on the vent fan, but I think whatever those two chemicals were that I mixed should not be mixed.
Please, please be careful. Mixing bleach and ammonia produces a toxic gas. And I do mean toxic. Venomous, like it can kill you, toxic.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

loving my family since 1991

Leslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond repute

I had those vapors come up once. I had bleach tabs in the toilet tank and thought it was all gone so I poured some toilet cleaner in the toilet. This eerie vapor started to come out of the toilet. Good thing I was able to ventilate the bathroom very easily and the garden hose reached the toilet.

Mommy to our valentine sweetheart, Jessica Lynn, and March Jellybean, Kaitlyn Elizabeth. My heart is overflowing with love for my precious girls.

Wife to my best friend

Homeschooling, sometimes co sleeping mommy to a teenager and sweet little one
Leslie_JJKs_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

bleach & ammonia mixed make chlorine gas.

I was going to include some info on what can happen, but it is really sensitive, so I won't. Just really, don't even risk it.

Really there are a lot of reasons why I decided to go to natural cleaners, but the fact that bleach & ammonia are such common ingredients & are never supposed to be mixed was definately a factor.

klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy View Post
bleach & ammonia mixed make chlorine gas.

I was going to include some info on what can happen, but it is really sensitive, so I won't. Just really, don't even risk it.

Really there are a lot of reasons why I decided to go to natural cleaners, but the fact that bleach & ammonia are such common ingredients & are never supposed to be mixed was definately a factor.

Now that I know. That is why I hated having bleach in the house with dh wanting to use it on pee accidents and such

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
Please, please be careful. Mixing bleach and ammonia produces a toxic gas. And I do mean toxic. Venomous, like it can kill you, toxic.
I certainly believe it could be toxic because - woah - that stuff was nasty. I do use the simple green cleaner for many things and vinegar for many others, but for sinks and toilets and tubs I feel like I need bleach to kill the germs and get rid of mildew and mold. I have been very careful about toilet cleaner and not mixing it with anything else since then though.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote