Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute
Default what to do with chenille yarn

I crochet. I am trying to use up my stash of synthetic yarns and then do something super awesome with the wool and cotton yarns that I have. Maybe some checkered throw pillows with the sport weight acrylic yarn, but what do I do with all that chenille that I bought almost 2 years ago when it was $2/skein?

One more question, is it possible to crochet squares without tying off one square, make the second one, and then sew them all together?

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Mama Rophe
Rose Garden

Mama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do with chenille yarn

The chenille yarn would make some soft mittens, scarfs or hats.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Indigo
Climbing Rose

Indigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to behold

Chenille also makes very snuggly throw blankets & afgans.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
ellies mom
Rose Trellis

ellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to behold

Chenille is supposed to make nice facecloths too. All "spa style" like.
ellies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute

I made some christmas ornament balls out of some chenille yarn.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

re: squares, I found the pattern for a pillow I am thinking of making and it says how to change the colors. I think I may make a couple of tea pot cozies with the cotton yarn that I have left over, and maybe a shawl with the chenille. I finished dd's purse. It was so easy and quick to do, maybe 2 hours and it looks really pretty in varigated pastels in Tunisian crochet.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Mama Rophe
Rose Garden

Mama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond repute

Did you post pictures somewhere?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Not yet, after I finish some homework than I'll post them.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty4Ashes View Post
Not yet, after I finish some homework than I'll post them.

I think I'd like to make a throw with yarn like that sometime...

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60671A.html?noImages=

This is what I want to use for the tea cozy, if I can just figure out how to carry unused colors up the wrong side of work.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 12-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Very pretty! Can I ask why you don't just cut and weave in when you change colors?
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

The pattern said not to. Though I don't enjoy having to tie in all those ends, it uses 6 different colors, 33 rows for the front and 33 for the back.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

The Following User Says Thank You to Beauty4Ashes For This Useful Post:
StumblinMama (12-06-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty4Ashes View Post
The pattern said not to. Though I don't enjoy having to tie in all those ends, it uses 6 different colors, 33 rows for the front and 33 for the back.
That's interesting...see I read that tying off was not the "proper" way to do it, and that weaving in was always preferred because it doesn't leave lumps and bumps like tying off does. I'm surprised the pattern suggested otherwise. That would be a LOT of tying off!! No need for a around me I wouldn't do it either
Old 12-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Weaving in and tying off the ends aren't one and the same thing? Please explain...

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 12-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Right, lol. Sorry if I didn't make sense IIRC, the way I learned that the "proper way" to change yarn is to cut it and weave in the ends. The other way that some do it is to cut and tie off rather than weaving in. Make sense?