Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 AM   #76
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Sugar? Convince me it's poison, please?

I have lost a ton of weight since eliminating sugar and grains from my diet!
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 AM   #77
Tuesdayschild
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Have I forgotten anyone?

Tuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by organiquegal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesdayschild
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesdayschild
Anyone want to do a mini challenge? Three days sugar free... Will s/o if anyone is interested...
I'd love to do a challenge and/or have an accountability partner about being sugar free....but I need to wait until the day after Valentines Day because I know I won't be able to say no to the desserts then. But after that I'll be ready.
how about first three days of March?
Have spun http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...275#msg2336275

I'm in... but only cause it's just 3 days. Who knows... maybe a huge revelation will take place and I'll be able to move past sugar... That would be pretty wonderful.
Tuesdayschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #78
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

I hate to tell you, Ladies, but if you're addicted to sugar, three days is probably a bad idea. Think five. When I quit cold turkey, the book I was reading noted that days three and/or four would be the worst...and they were. It was bad. But after about day five, I felt like a new woman.

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonnie For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (06-02-2010)
Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #79
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

just wanted to say that for a healthy person a little sugar every now and then (i.e. a lovely fair trade chocolate 2 times a month) is a beautiful thing

the commercial mills do the job of grinding seeds and grains at a very high rate of speed. this heats everything up. so, basically, even whole grains milled in that way are heated enough to destroy some nutrients. technically, that is why they started to say stone-milled. it is supposed to mean that the milling stones do not get as hot as other industrial mills. but it is not a very reliable way, as there are no guidelines i believe. some brands will actually go on to tell you that they keep down the temp. while milling, so that is a good thing, if you trust what they say.
the germ has oils. most germ oils go rancid quickly. milling splits open the germ, exposing the oils to air and thus the process of going rancid begins.
i can tell the age of whole wheat flower by smelling it. i can really smell the rancid oils it's gross. not only is the flavor different, bu of course it indicates all the lost nutrients, esp. vitamins and fatty acids.
grains was meant to be stored as a grain. flour is not really made for long-term storage. indeed, the best bread ever is made from flour milled the same day, for obvious reasons
there my
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #80
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

*whistfully wishing for a grain mill attachment for my kitchen aid*

i go back and forth on sugar (the real kind). i wish i was able to be moderate... but when it's totally out of my system (like now) i really don't miss it.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #81
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbonne
I hate to tell you, Ladies, but if you're addicted to sugar, three days is probably a bad idea. Think five. When I quit cold turkey, the book I was reading noted that days three and/or four would be the worst...and they were. It was bad. But after about day five, I felt like a new woman.
I've felt that too last time I went completely off of it. Mid-week was tough but once I got through the week I had no cravings and felt great.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #82
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is there a possibility some people are sensitive to sugar & others aren't? I can give it up for weeks & not notice a difference

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #83
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

(as i'm sipping on my morning coffee with 1 tsp of sugar that i NOW know will supress my immune system for up to 4 hours).....i've got a few questions...

I know I could pick up a book, and I've written a few of these books down on my book wish list. I'm just wondering, to cut out completely, does this mean one has to not buy anything in a box or jar? We eat lots of cereal and although I look at the labels for the nasty fake ingrediants, they all seem to have some sugar. There's sugar in most sauces that I buy. I KNOW it would be better to make everything from scratch...but the truth is, I'm just not there yet. Buying things already boxed and jarred is just the way it's going to be with us for awhile. Are there ways to shop better? I try to buy things that say "no sugar added". Ugh, this is a lot to process...

And organiquegal...I'm totally with ya! I can convince myself of all the other bad things and cut those out, but I'm just not convinced about the evil of sugar yet....I realize a large amount is yucky...but I try to maintain low levels. I'm just trying to fool myself I guess!

Off to bookmark when I actually have more time to get serious about this!...
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #84
FaithfilledGranolaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum
Me too!!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #85
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #86
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake
Quote:
Is there a possibility some people are sensitive to sugar & others aren't? I can give it up for weeks & not notice a difference
Emphasis added. Yes, it is pretty much proven that some people are sensitive to it and others aren't. It's not good for anyone, really, but for some of us, it's like heroin.

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #87
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake
Spin-off http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...topic=217027.0

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #88
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfilledGranolaChick
Quote:
Me too!!
me too!

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #89
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfilledGranolaChick
Quote:
Me too!!
me too!
I would post a wanted on freecycle. It's one of those items people sometimes buy with good intentions but don't end up using much (like juicers and cappuccino machines).
April G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #90
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
Thanks, Lisa!
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote