Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Could going vegitarian make me sick?

I'm really struggling tonight-so be gentle.

I have wanted to be a vegitarian my entire life. I have always had a hard time mind over mattering where meat comes from, and it's taken a long bit of mental gymnastics to even eat it.

I went vegitarian on 6/14

In the last 6 weeks I have had crazy things go wrong-chronic headaches, uti's severe deep breast tissue and nipple paid while nursing, burning after sex, acne, and basically every hormonal sounding symptom under the son.

I have an IUD and probably 12 - preg tests. I am drinking crazy amounts of water, am taking cal/mag and zinc supplements, and am obsessively planning meals high in fats and proteins.

I don't know what on earth is wrong, and I'm feeling really discouraged.

And on top of that I keep getting every single person telling me that they know so and so who went vegitarian and then *died* <insert dramatic Croods voice there>

Soo-I'm really looking for advice/encouragement.

Anyone?

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian

Last edited by TenderLovingWillow; 08-04-2014 at 06:05 AM.
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could going vegitarian make me sick?

What does your intuition tell you about this?

It sounds to me that your body is in detox shock....that's especially going to be true if you weren't eating particularly "clean" meat. Did you also go off of dairy and eggs? You might benefit from dandelion tea/tincture/caps to nourish your liver.

Did you add many new foods when you gave up meat? If so, listing those might help you see if there are any highly allergenic or commonly reactive foods that you might cut back on, or eliminate for a while and add back more gradually.

Are you using any kind of supplementary shake or supplement that could be causing the issues and be entirely unrelated to the vegetarianism?

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
bliss (08-03-2014), ECingMama (08-03-2014), GlacierLily (08-04-2014), mommychem (08-04-2014), TenderLovingWillow (08-04-2014), Zooey (10-10-2015)
Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still doing dairy and eggs. Eggs are local and fresh-dairy is still store bought and processed. I wasn't eating clean meat before.

I haven't really eaten anything on a regular basis that I hadn't eaten before-though avacados, and nuts especially I have increased a lot because it's the easiest fat/protein food I can grab in a pinch.

I'm not doing shakes. I used to do cal/mag on a regular basis, but not since being pp with Justice (3). I have never taken zinc before, but I started after all this went haywire, some suggested it might help with the insane nursing pain. I'm honestly only nursing the baby twice a day because the pain with nursing lasts for an hour or so after she is done and I just can't handle more.

I don't know what my gut says. I'm not even sure that this is something I'm thinking rationally about. I believe so strongly in the ethics of vegitarianism, that even though it's been a short time, the thought of eating animals again makes me feel ill.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
The Following User Says they are praying for TenderLovingWillow:
GlacierLily (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 AM   #4
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

Hugs! I know people who went back to meat for health reasons. I can't be the judge whether this was necessary or not. But they are close friends with similar convictions as I.

I agree about the detoxing. And if you're nursing there's extra demands on your body which is not used to a plant based. Did you make the switch over night or progressively?

If it was over night I'd hypothesize that your body needs time to make the switch and perhaps the only way you will know is to go back to your previous diet and slowly make the transition. Alternatively there's a chance this is unrelated and just coincided your life changes (which are exciting btw). And you could wait it out....see a natural dr. Get some answers.
TenderLovingWillow (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

It was overnight. So maybe your right.

I'm planning on seeing a naturopathic dr-I have put it off because I don't want them to tell me I have to eat meat.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
Old 08-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

IMO six weeks is too long for detox symptoms. I wouldn't let that ride (btdt with a major diet overhaul, it wasn't detox). You said you haven't added anything new? Soy messes me up hormonally and I feel much better totally eliminating it.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (08-04-2014), domesticzookeeper (08-04-2014), melissa5317 (08-04-2014), TenderLovingWillow (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a registered dietician you can go to who is supportive of a vegetarian diet? We found one that our insurance completely covers. She's really great. She suggested probiotics and vegetarian dha for my daughter. I wonder if those might be helpful to you?

Have you tried keeping a food / symptom journal?

I don't think you have to add meat back into your diet to feel better.

What is in meat that you would be missing? You are still eating eggs and dairy, so getting non-plant based foods that way. Are you eating more of those things or about the same?

I was wondering, too, if you eat soy. What types of fats are you eating? Do you eat mostly a whole foods diet?

I became vegan when my 3rd child was 6 months old, . . . so it'll be 13 years in about 3 months. Don't give up hope! I think you can find the solution to this to help you feel better without needing to add animal flesh back into your diet.

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
Firebird Rising (08-05-2014), GlacierLily (08-04-2014), TenderLovingWillow (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

i was wondering about soy too. do you use a lot of "replacemet" soy products "chiken" tenders made from soy, or soy sour cream etc. that could be a factor.

for you to figure it out and feel better

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
TenderLovingWillow (08-04-2014), Zooey (11-07-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I had a thought in the grocery store and thought I'd add, as much as I hate too, that while my cycles are normal with dairy I get hormonal cystic acne pretty bad while consuming even organic, fermented dairy. As soon as I cut them out my skin clears up (although I can do grass fed ghee with no problem). If you've increased your dairy, that's something to consider.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (08-04-2014), Katigre (08-04-2014), TenderLovingWillow (08-04-2014), ValiantJoy07 (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
i was wondering about soy too. do you use a lot of "replacemet" soy products "chiken" tenders made from soy, or soy sour cream etc. that could be a factor.

for you to figure it out and feel better
I was wondering this too. Soy messes me UP. Almost as much as gluten.

Also what have you changed? Were you eating a lot of meat? If you've started leaning heavier on certain grains and proteins (soy and dairy) it could be as simple as a bad balance for your body-especially if you have any gut IBS issues in the past (ie a gut that needs to be handled with care). Replacing meats with grains and not getting enough good fats could very well lead to feeling pretty awful..

I like the dietician idea a lot.

Also, and if your belly isn't what's ailing you but a good digestive enzyme with your larger meals, could be what your body needs to breakdown what you're eating. Full veggie based meals are great, but they can also be hard to digest -especially if your body isn't used to it. adding in a digestive enzyme can make all the difference.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh I like the comment about the dairy. If you are increasing it it could wreak havoc on your system in many ways. ....and yes watch those hidden soy products.

There's so much to consider! A dietician would be a great resource.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

No soy.

I'm eating more eggs than I did, but less dairy overall. I have been mostly subbing with raw or cooked veggies, and nuts. Also been learning to eat dry beans which is new.

I had never tried couscous before, but don't eat it regularly, same with quinoa.

Going back to read more.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
Old 08-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, maybe try a good multivit for awhile and see if that helps? i would go with a prenatal since you are nursing

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies View Post
IMO six weeks is too long for detox symptoms. I wouldn't let that ride (btdt with a major diet overhaul, it wasn't detox). You said you haven't added anything new? Soy messes me up hormonally and I feel much better totally eliminating it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermama View Post
Do you have a registered dietician you can go to who is supportive of a vegetarian diet? We found one that our insurance completely covers. She's really great. She suggested probiotics and vegetarian dha for my daughter. I wonder if those might be helpful to you?

Have you tried keeping a food / symptom journal?

I don't think you have to add meat back into your diet to feel better.

What is in meat that you would be missing? You are still eating eggs and dairy, so getting non-plant based foods that way. Are you eating more of those things or about the same?

I was wondering, too, if you eat soy. What types of fats are you eating? Do you eat mostly a whole foods diet?

I became vegan when my 3rd child was 6 months old, . . . so it'll be 13 years in about 3 months. Don't give up hope! I think you can find the solution to this to help you feel better without needing to add animal flesh back into your diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
I was wondering this too. Soy messes me UP. Almost as much as gluten.

Also what have you changed? Were you eating a lot of meat? If you've started leaning heavier on certain grains and proteins (soy and dairy) it could be as simple as a bad balance for your body-especially if you have any gut IBS issues in the past (ie a gut that needs to be handled with care). Replacing meats with grains and not getting enough good fats could very well lead to feeling pretty awful..

I like the dietician idea a lot.

Also, and if your belly isn't what's ailing you but a good digestive enzyme with your larger meals, could be what your body needs to breakdown what you're eating. Full veggie based meals are great, but they can also be hard to digest -especially if your body isn't used to it. adding in a digestive enzyme can make all the difference.
I had seriously limited meat since I got pregnant with Jubilee.

Today I have eaten-
Eggs with spinach for breakfast
Spaghetti made with gobs of fresh produce (chives, celery, garlic, carrots, onions, blended tomatoes, green peppers, zucchini, squash, and spinach) for lunch

Dinner is soup in veggie broth, with lentils, chick peas, spinach and zucchini (which are in the garden right now) beans, peas and rice with bread and broccoli with hummus.

Dairy is milk with meals or like Parmesan cheese on spaghetti- sour cream on potatoes etc.

Tomorrow we are having oatmeal with dried cranberries, almonds and pecans for breakfast- sandwiches with peanut butter, sprouts an carrots for lunch, and something else that hasn't been determined yet for dinner.

I cook with coconut oil in place of butter like 90% of the time now.

I'll look around for dietitians.

I don't know if I'll find much-I'm in ND, and we don't have much support for even natural/clean living, much less vegan/vegitarian.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
Old 08-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh dry beans. ilve never heard of eating them dry? As in dehydrated? beans can be extreeeemely hard on the gut, I can't imagine them dry. The only kind I can manage well are beans soaked for at least 48 hours before being cooked.
could you sprout them (I know quite a bit of work)? That makes them a lot more wholesome and digestible.

I don't know if this site is vegetarian I saw mention of dairy but no meat related stuff. I don't know what the rules are in sharing with respects to that, but explains some things about beans that might be helpful. http://www.nourishingdays.com/2011/0...-on-the-belly/
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 08-04-2014 at 05:14 PM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post: