Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vegetable Lasagna

So it's my dh's bday today so I am making beef lasagna per his request. As I was making it I remembered my dd is a vegetarian now & luckily had enough ingredients to make a 1/2 cheese lasagna as well.

But I should really switch the family over to veggie lasagna anyway.

I don't need a whole recipe, Ill just use mine with vegetables instead of meat. So what veggies go in your veggies lasagna? Zucchini, squash, & mushrooms (my guesses from eating veg lasagna many times)? Anything else? Also, do you cook your veggies ahead of time or they cook while the lasagna is baking - I assume cook during the baking - otherwised they'd be so cooked, yes?

Any of tips I might need.

TIA!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegetable Lasagna

Sub

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite vegetarian lasagna to make is the Pampered Chef recipe (which I'm having trouble finding online) but it includes the veggies you listed plus carrots. I buzz all the veggies through the food processor (with the #3 blade) and saute them with a few herbs (oregano, basil & ???) then assemble. This recipe calls for precooked noodles. Oddly, no, the veggies aren't turned to mush with all that cooking. ETA: if I were using grated veggies, I wouldn't precook. But I encourage you to try the larger sliced veggies.

Other options are spinach lasagna, which I make with raw spinach & uncooked noodles + extra water & it all cooks together.

Last edited by mommylove; 07-21-2014 at 02:22 PM.
mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
My favorite vegetarian lasagna to make is the Pampered Chef recipe (which I'm having trouble finding online) but it includes the veggies you listed plus carrots. I buzz all the veggies through the food processor (with the #3 blade) and saute them with a few herbs (oregano, basil & ???) then assemble. This recipe calls for precooked noodles. Oddly, no, the veggies aren't turned to mush with all that cooking. ETA: if I were using grated veggies, I wouldn't precook. But I encourage you to try the larger sliced veggies.

Other options are spinach lasagna, which I make with raw spinach & uncooked noodles + extra water & it all cooks together.
I will definitely use larger sliced veggies. My recipe does NOT used pre-cooked noodles. So I might be baking longer as well (so probably not precook the veggies either)

SPINACH! Of course, spinach! My kids love spinach. Way more than mushrooms. Thanks for that one! Do you do any other veggies with the spinach?

Im going to try a bunch of different ones & see what everyone likes best!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
I will definitely use larger sliced veggies. My recipe does NOT used pre-cooked noodles. So I might be baking longer as well (so probably not precook the veggies either)

SPINACH! Of course, spinach! My kids love spinach. Way more than mushrooms. Thanks for that one! Do you do any other veggies with the spinach?

Im going to try a bunch of different ones & see what everyone likes best!
When I do spinach, I usually don't add other veggies. Since I assemble it raw, there's not much room for anything else. It's so fluffy when raw, but cooks down to nothing, so I really pile it on.

I knew I was forgetting something, though . . . the PC recipe also uses a can of drained, diced tomatoes with the other veggies.

The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite veggie lasagna is the one from the Engine 2 cookbook. http://engine2diet.com/recipe/raise-...otato-lasagna/
It takes a lot of work, but it is totally amazing.
To be honest, I bought his first book and then tried some recipes from the second one and was disappointed with many of them, but this one recipe - unbelievably good.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

For my veggie lasagna, I slice my zucchini and squash very thin on a mandolin/grater, and layer with thicker slices of tomato. I add my spinach to my white bean sauce, either defrosted frozen chopped or fresh chopped, depending what I have on hand. I don't use tomato sauce, and I do cook my noodles first (not enough liquid without the sauce for uncooked noodles).

I've also made it like mommylove, with sauce, ricotta (again, with spinach added), and mozzarella in my pre-vegan days, or for my extended family.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (07-21-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
mommylove
Rose Garden

How did it turn out?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
How did it turn out?
I haven't done it yet. I just made the beef & cheese. I was just getting ready for next time I make Lasagna! Which will be soonish!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
mommylove (07-25-2014)