Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:22 PM   #16
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Natural Cleaning Recipes

BTW ladies, I am nursing and have heard lots of precautions when it comes to tea-tree oil and babies/children. Do I need to wear gloves when I am cleaning with any recipes using it as it might be absorbed into my body? And also with the orange and tangerine oils, I have heard that you should avoid direct sunlight for a time after coming in contact with them? Anyone ever have any problems?
Signed:
Miss "I-Really-Should-Be-Using-My-Worries-On-Toxic-Commercial-Cleaners-But-I-Can't-Help-It-I-Am-Cynical-Of-EVERYTHING!!"
Old 05-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #17
Mothering by Heart
Deactivated

Mothering by Heart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea
BTW ladies, I am nursing and have heard lots of precautions when it comes to tea-tree oil and babies/children. Do I need to wear gloves when I am cleaning with any recipes using it as it might be absorbed into my body? And also with the orange and tangerine oils, I have heard that you should avoid direct sunlight for a time after coming in contact with them? Anyone ever have any problems?
Signed:
Miss "I-Really-Should-Be-Using-My-Worries-On-Toxic-Commercial-Cleaners-But-I-Can't-Help-It-I-Am-Cynical-Of-EVERYTHING!!"
With the TTO, it is so diluted with the amount of water, I don't see that there would be a problem. A for the citrus, I have never heard of that. I'll look around and see if I can find out.
Mothering by Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #18
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothering by Heart
Quote:
Signed:
With the TTO, it is so diluted with the amount of water, I don't see that there would be a problem. A for the citrus, I have never heard of that. I'll look around and see if I can find out.
I think with the citrus coming into contact with skin/hair, you are just more likely to sunburn. Just something to be aware of.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:02 PM   #19
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I think with the citrus coming into contact with skin/hair, you are just more likely to sunburn. Just something to be aware of.
Thanks ladies! I'm just ultra-paranoid and triple-check everything before using it. I already got the tangerine oil and will be going back to get tea-tree! In the meantime, I've been using the vinegar/water/detergent etc but I do love my oils and can't wait to use them in cleaning!!
THANK-YOU!!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:38 AM   #20
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

i'm so loving making cleaners! i never thought i would be into it, but here i am.

the best glass cleaner i've used is just plain old club soda in a spray bottle. yup. works great!

i LOVE the peppermint scrub, and the all purpose one i use looks alot like the one punkie posted.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:42 AM   #21
Spirit of the Home

These recipes are the greatest .
I have been mixing my own gentle cleaning hand soap for over 30+ years because of sensitive skin.
I buy concentrated pure gentle cleaner from a home based business company [whichever one I am involved in] and just mix it with 1/2 water and some eo, It works great. You can give bubble baths with it and it doesn't give bladder problems or leave the ring around the tub so you can just drain the tub after a bath. I buy the gentle cleaner in 1/2 gallons so it lasts a long time. It's also the only thing I shave my legs with, without getting a rash.
I think Trader Joes carries a type of gentle cleaner? I havn't tried it yet, nor checked out the ingredients but i think it would be less expensive.

For mopping the tile I just use 1/2 bucket of water and about 1/2 cup distilled vinegar. This works great without a strong smell

I'm off to try some of your ideas
Karmen
Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #22
chelsea
Rose Garden

Quote:
Olive-Citrus Dusting Polish
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1?4 cup lemon juice or vinegar (lemon juice is much more fragrant)
2-4 drops tangerine or sweet orange essential oil
Hey Amanda! (or anyone else who knows the answer)
Can this polish be used on anything (plastic, fake wood, etc), or only on wood? Would it be too oily on a non-wood surface?
Thanks!!

(How much wood or non-wood would or could you polish with this wood polish?)
Old 06-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #23
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Olive-Citrus Dusting Polish
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1?4 cup lemon juice or vinegar (lemon juice is much more fragrant)
2-4 drops tangerine or sweet orange essential oil
Hey Amanda! (or anyone else who knows the answer)
Can this polish be used on anything (plastic, fake wood, etc), or only on wood? Would it be too oily on a non-wood surface?
Thanks!!

(How much wood or non-wood would or could you polish with this wood polish?)
I've used it on other things without problems, although I think just wood and fake wood... I don't know if I've tried plastic. For plastic stuff (like tvs, fans, etc), I always use a little bit of fabric softener mixed with water because it makes it so dust doesn't stick :P

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #24
herbalwriter

Can I substitute Fels-Naptha for Zote soap in the laundry detergent recipe?
I have found Borax and washing soda (finally), but I give up on Zote.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #25
herbalwriter

...or can I substitute Kirk's Castille...?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #26
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

You can use the Fels Naptha

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Old 07-01-2005, 07:14 PM   #27
herbalwriter

Thank heavens. I will try that. I wish I could find Zote; it sounds more natural and safer, but this was the best I could do.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:19 AM   #28
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

Just FYI, according to Clean House, Clean Planet, you use distilled water or purified water because it makes your cleaner work better. It has something to do with the way the detergents/borax/baking soda/what have you actually dissolve into the water to become a "cleaner."

For windows and mirrors - my FAVORITE is simply 2 microfiber rags. Wet one with plain tap water and ring it out very well. Use that to clean with, and then go over it again with a dry rag. I do this ala "Karate Kid" wax on...wax off. It leaves no streaks and it cleans very well!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:44 AM   #29
Punkie
Administrator

OK, I tried thisone and it really got the baked-on chili explosion out of my microwave!

Microwave Cleaner

1/4 c. baking soda
1 tsp vinegar
5-6 drops thyme, lemongrass, or lemon essential oil (I used lemon)

Combine all ingredients and make a paste. Apply to the inside of the microwave using a soft cloth or sponge. Rinse well and leave the microwave door open to air dry for 25 minutes

Old 09-17-2005, 07:30 AM   #30
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

TrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond repute

oooh, I am so excited to try some of these out! Here's another one to try for toilets:
pour about a cup of vinegar (more or less, i never measure!) into the bowl, then add baking soda, about 2 T (again, I never measure, I only wait for it to bubble up!) Let it sit for a few minutes, then scrub it with the brush up and down the inside of the bowl, and it will sparkle. Then, just flush!

I also use vinegar in water for the floors, but my dh complains of the smell...maybe I am using too much vinegar?
TrinMama is offline   Reply With Quote