Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 06-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
purplerose

Default Serious regrets lately............(just a whine)

Ever since I've found GBD/AP, the benefits of EN, babywearing, co-sleeping, I wish I would've listened to my instincts with my first two babies instead of waiting until being pg with my 3rd to apply these inmy life. I just did the "other things" because the seemed to be the "norm". I just HATE myself for listening to others instead of going with what I felt in my heart! First starting with the epi with my daughter. I was in a lot of pain and was going ok, but the people at L&D were like "well the pains going to get worse and the anesthiologist wont wait for you" My doc told me that the epi would slow things down, but it was up to me. I guess I felt pressured, so I got it. I had complications. And I listened to people who were telling me I'm "holding her too much" that I'm going to "spoil her", that I need to stop sleeping with her, to let her CIO! Then I bf DD, but started her on solids too soon b/c that's what "everybody" told me I should be doing, and that there wasn't really many benefits to bf'ing after 6 mos. And I'd get the comments like "You're STILL bf'ing her?" Well, at 7 mos she stopped nursing and I got pg with DS. Same thing with DS, but I held out longer. I carried him around more (after realizing that babies LOVE IT!!) I co-slept with him longer, and nurseed him longer. But still I stopped nursing him at 10 months, and just wish soooooooo bad that I would've kept doing it longer. I fell into the discipline of "time-outs, slaps on the bum or the hands" I hated doing it everytime and just felt sooooooooo guilty doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I just sometimes get sooooooooooooooooo mad at myself for not listening to my own mind and heart and listening to "others"!!! The same thing with the BCP and how NFP doesn't work. Well, we did it successfully for 8 mos and then decided to get pg with DS#2, who is due in September. NOw, I'm really wanting a natural labor and I'm getting the same comments from people. But this time, I'm NOT listening to them!!!!! The same with my decisions about not spanking, positive parenting gentle discipling, NOT putting DD in preschool. I used to leave my kids with people more often because I listened to them say "You need a break from your kids. It's better for them too" Maybe sometimes, but not as much as people were telling me to do it. And I still co-sleep, at least naps, with my children. And if they wake in the night, they come to our bed and we sleep with them. I LOVE being around my kids!!! I just wish sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much that I knew all this before I was pg with my first, so I could've enjoyed her more, instead of stressing aobut what others thought and listening to the comments of raising my kids! And now I get comments about being pg with #3 and wanting more. Now my DS seems to be showing interest in nursing again, and I want to let him, but would it be good for him, since he hasn't done it in 14 months? I just have colustrum right now. Anyway, thanks for listening to me vent and express my feelings. It's just nice to get them out with women I KNOW who understand me, won't judge me and will give me support! It's sooooooooooo hard to find it IRL, excpet for DH!!! But still, you know what I mean!! Thanks!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
Irene

Default Re: Serious regrets lately............(just a whine)

yeah I do know! I dealt with that with number one... then coming here I really felt regretful because I felt like I missed out on so much sometimes there are times I still feel sad I didnt nurse dd longer, I wonder if this or that has made her have her special issues... on and on. but all I can think of to tell myself, is that its made me even more convicted that I am now doing the right thing

I have been through what those people said to do, and it didnt work. and it made me feel miserable. so I guess I can say that it has helped me become the mother I am today and just learn from the mistakes, be stronger now and get through it I think there is a time for mourning what was lost, and dont deny that
Old 06-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Tex

I doubt there are many w/o regrets.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

Aw, hugs! Everyone has regrets about the choices we make. This is a new start, make the best of it!
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
AttachedMamma
Deactivated

AttachedMamma is on a distinguished road

Think of all the encouragement and inspiration you can give to other women who are succumbing to "the pressure"! Read your post again. Look how far you've come! I remember reading something that Dr Sears said about it never being too late to practice Attachment Parenting. I can hear how remorseful you feel and I pray that God will help clear you of those feelings of guilt. Because He wants you to move on. Here is a verse to help you in Isaiah 43:18,19 "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?"

You did the best you could at the time w/the information you had. That's what we all do. You are a new person now... a new mommy and all your children will benefit greatly for it. It is certainly not too late!

Celebrations to you!

cindi

p.s. if your son wants to try nursing again, I don't think there is anything wrong with it whatsoever. He may not remember how to nurse, but I think he will very much appreciate you allowing him to try.
AttachedMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
purplerose

Aaaaaawwwwww, thanks everybody! I KNEW you'd understand!!! I know that I need to just move on and continue with what I'm doing now, but I look at my sweet 3yoDD and wish she was a baby again, so I could've done more of these practices with her! But she is a WONDERFUL sweet little girl and I feel proud knowing that it's because of me that she's like that!! Same with DS!! I'm glad that I learned all this now why they are still young!!! Thanks everyone!!