Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Am I The Only One Afraid of Snappis?

Terrified. I'm serious. Ds is almost a year old and has been cloth diapered from the beginning. I've used prefolds fairly often from the time he was born. But never with a Snappi. Snappis terrify me, having those metal claws near my baby's delicate little body make me queasy. So I always just fold the prefold and then make the cover snug so it doesn't move around too much. It seems to work... well, most of the time. It would be nice to have a way to make them always stay put, but I just can't bring myself to using Snappis! Has anyone ever had any accidents with one of them? Are my fears justified, or should I just go ahead and try them out? I really want to get some contours, but to me they seem almost more difficult to use without a Snappi than prefolds are. Am I being ridiculous?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I The Only One Afraid of Snappis?

Nope....I refused to use a Snappi for the longest time. I finally did use it and the second time I put it on, it came loose somehow and was clawing the inside of his leg. I never used it again. I hate them. I used safety diaper pins.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

They're plastic

I don't like them. I agree they look scary. But I am also terrified of the book The Cat in the Hat and the kids show booh bahs. So I'm not a good source for whether or not there is valid reason to be afraid of something.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Domina (03-31-2012), MercyInDisguise (02-28-2012), Rabbit (02-27-2012), Tandem mama (03-26-2012), tofufoofoo (02-28-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I used them for years. We had a few scratches, but they're just scratches, and I learned better how to get them to really grip, and which diapers not to use them. And they are just plastic.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Tandem mama (03-26-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute

I've used them for years and I've had one time when the bottom part got caught on something and snapped back into my dd's leg. She had 4 little scabs for a little while, but I didn't stop using them. I did start being a little more careful.

Wife to the car guy for 21 years
Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
tazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute

Snappis don't bother me. I was more worried about the pins popping open and poking into my baby. (Way back when ds17 was born, I didn't know about Snappis and all the fancy dipes and covers. I used prefolds and pins and plastic pants. And those pins popped open every once in a great while, but they still freaked me out. I went through the same thing with my 2nd baby. By my 3rd, I learned all about the wonders of all the cool dipe products on the market. I started using Snappis and nifty covers and some AIOs... Ahhh, for the first time, cloth was FUN! )
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cindergretta For This Useful Post:
SweetCaroline (02-28-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Mommainrwanda
Rose Trellis

New country - same username

Mommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond repute

If I was to just consider Snappis against *nothing* they would be a little frightening. Compared to diaper pins? Snappis are downy soft! (In my mind )

-Showing grace
-Undercommitting
-Believing in the restoration of all things

The Urchin is capriciously 3
The Chiton is
an introvert not an introvert, just T4 baby

Adventure blog: Delving for a Rhapsody
Mommainrwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mommainrwanda For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (02-28-2012), knitlove (02-28-2012), Quiteria (04-08-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I have been using prefolds for years and never needed them. I just use the right covers. I like prefolds because they are so trim. My latest edition likes to take off his diapers so I do need to keep him dressed

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Snappi's don't bother me. Diaper pins scare the behooty out of me. I'm afraid he'd poke his eye out. Don't ask me how that could possibly happen if it got loose from a diaper. Talk about irrational.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

snappi dont bother me I keep hearing so and so horror stories of there kids getting cut my them but Ive rountinuly used them over the 7ish years of cloth diapering and have never cut my self or baby on one... However I FAR prefer pins much better fit and since we use prefodls coverless a lot no risk of snags. I LOVE pins.

Deanna
ReedleBeetle (02-28-2012), Tandem mama (03-26-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

i started off in pins. snappis werelife changing..except when you're trying to quick change an angry baby..you grab for your snappi,only to find that its embedded itself into the carpet..
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SweetCaroline For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (02-28-2012), mamaeffie (02-28-2012), Mommainrwanda (02-28-2012), Quiteria (04-08-2012), Rabbit (02-28-2012), Tandem mama (03-26-2012), tofufoofoo (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
tofufoofoo
Rose Trellis

...and you shall nurse, you shall be carried upon her hip, and bounced upon her knees...

tofufoofoo is a splendid one to beholdtofufoofoo is a splendid one to beholdtofufoofoo is a splendid one to beholdtofufoofoo is a splendid one to beholdtofufoofoo is a splendid one to beholdtofufoofoo is a splendid one to beholdtofufoofoo is a splendid one to beholdtofufoofoo is a splendid one to beholdtofufoofoo is a splendid one to behold

My snappis never came loose and I even caught DD1 w it in. her. MOUTH once Scared me, but she was unharmed. Pins scare me, because I'm klutzy.
and my snuggly
tiny teddy 4-2-11

now expecting a
baby bear 7-15-13

tofufoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
joanna
Rose Blossom

joanna is a name known to alljoanna is a name known to alljoanna is a name known to alljoanna is a name known to alljoanna is a name known to alljoanna is a name known to alljoanna is a name known to all

DH is scared of snappis

So, because he's the SAHD, he got to choose our diapering system, and it did not include Snappis. And then I won a particular cover that needed snappis- it doesn't hold the prefold in place. So now, I use snappis when I use that cover, and he never uses that cover.

Fun fact: did you know there are two sizes of snappis? I have a 14mo and recently I think he's "outgrown" the size 1, so using the snappi is much more likely to scratch him, because it just barely reaches the prefold corners I'm trying to pull around him. That does make me nervous. I really need to pick up some Size 2's.

Owner of Toasty Baby Cloth Diapers
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joanna For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (04-08-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
Close2MyHeart
Rose Garden

Back for Friendships

Close2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

I used to diaper my younger siblings w/ cloth diapers and pins, so snappis seemed sooo much better to me than that!!
DS1(21), DS2(20), BD1(20), DD1(19), BS1(17), DS3(16), BS2(14), DD2(14), BD2(10), BD3 (8)
(B = Bonus/Step)
Close2MyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
mommy9994
Rose Bush

mommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of light

not afraid of snappis, but I don't like them. I like pins

striving to be a gentler mommy to
Alekzandr
Charles
Aliana
Rebekah
Lydia
trusting the Lord for any future children.
Feel free to pm me about food allergies, eczema, complementarian marriage, homeschooling, breastfeeding, large family...
mommy9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommy9994 For This Useful Post:
Tandem mama (03-26-2012)