Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #31
FebFaith
Rose Bouquet

FebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best Scriptures you feel support GBD

ie:Prov. 24:13 "He who spares the rod hates his son,but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

I've always relied on the fact that the "rod" is like the rod a shepherd used to steer his sheep and not used to beat them into submission. So, my interpretation of the verse is that a parent who does not steer her child toward righteousness, etc hates her child, but she who instills discipline, etc in her child loves him.

Thoughts?[COLOR="Silver"]

Old 04-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #32
Can Dance
Rose Garden

Can Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond repute

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

do you like to be humiliated?
do you like to be yelled at?
do you like to be shamed?
do you like to be hit?
do you like to be told you are never quite good enough?

I thought not.

I think, if this verse was thought of with every interaction with our children, we would all come out a lot better.

so basic and yet so hard to do!
DS 24/2009
and my Hawaiian Surprise
DS 9/1/11
Can Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Can Dance For This Useful Post:
MudPies (04-15-2010)
Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 AM   #33
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

"for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Phil 2:13

Of course, we're not able to directly change our children's hearts, as God does, but we can work externally (playful parenting, setting up for success) and we can bring God's Word to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie
Also, if anyone has interpretations of the standard verses used to back up spanking and the like, I'd love to hear it.
I find it useful when I see verses about 'beating them with the rod' to translate it in my mind as 'drum the Truth into them' - similar imagery that we'd never dream of taking literally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can Dance
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I think, if this verse was thought of with every interaction with our children, we would all come out a lot better.

so basic and yet so hard to do!
So true.
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #34
Jenn2627
Seedling Rose

Jenn2627 is on a distinguished road

Subbing. This is a fantastic thread.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #35
WanderingMom
Seedling Rose

WanderingMom is on a distinguished road

subbing as well
Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #36
mom2chaney_girls

Great thread. Just what I was needing.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #37
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

subbing

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #38
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

Thank you!
Recently there was a discussion on my FB page about spanking and the pro-spanking person ended with a rod verse. I'm posting a few of these in response.

I've also realized that while the Spirit in me is agreeing with gentle discipline, I didn't have specific verses or passages to consult and prove this. Thank you!

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #39
motherlyservant

Galatian 6:1
Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently, But watch yourself or you also may be tempted.

This makes me think of how important it is to restore our children gently, and while doing so to not be tempted to give into anger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
charla (05-17-2010), dulce de leche (12-22-2010), Tasmanian Saint (05-09-2010)
Old 05-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #40
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FebFaith View Post
ie:Prov. 24:13 "He who spares the rod hates his son,but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

I've always relied on the fact that the "rod" is like the rod a shepherd used to steer his sheep and not used to beat them into submission. So, my interpretation of the verse is that a parent who does not steer her child toward righteousness, etc hates her child, but she who instills discipline, etc in her child loves him.

Another great one in support of GBD, if you ask me. It would not be very loving not to carefully guide our children. If not us, who?

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #41
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

subbing

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #42
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Subbing....
Also, if anyone has interpretations of the standard verses used to back up spanking and the like, I'd love to hear it.

Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

YES!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FebFaith View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynaminbear View Post
Thank you!
Recently there was a discussion on my FB page about spanking and the pro-spanking person ended with a rod verse. I'm posting a few of these in response.

I've also realized that while the Spirit in me is agreeing with gentle discipline, I didn't have specific verses or passages to consult and prove this. Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
subbing
I love this essay--for me it's a great response to "spare the rod" advocates (plus, the fact that "spare the rod spoil the child" is not actually a verse in the bible stumps some!)
http://nospank.net/sagendrf.htm

Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Luke 7:47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little. (Parable of immoral woman/moneylender but I think of it as big-picture advice: she loves Christ and is therefore forgiven--not forgiven because of an apology, or after punishment or accusation. The second point is not the opposite but logical nonetheless -- without forgiveness/grace love diminishes.)
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #43
amyhntr2
Rose Bouquet

amyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to all

Wife to the life of the party Brad
Mommy to I 6/09 and E 10/11 born at home
Enjoying living in SC and seeing where my journey leads next

amyhntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #44
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome!!! Copying and pasting all of the references to look up and make up a sheet of my faves to hang on the fridge!
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #45
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Psalm 103:8-14, 17-18
The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.
He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever;
he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.
But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--
with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.

Jeremiah 31:3
The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness."

Ephesians 1:7
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (12-07-2011), homesteadmama (07-13-2011)