Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Scriptures you feel support GBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonintx View Post

Gal 5:22-23 the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
I've been evaluating my parenting/discipline through the Fruit of the Spirit too.

What that means for me is that any way that I discipline has to foster the growth of the Fruit of the Spirit in my own life, as well as encourage it in my children. That really helps me eliminate undue harshness and punitive attitudes because I can't embrace those without simultaneously rejecting my own spiritual growth and sensitivity.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
iwillhope (02-18-2013)
Old 04-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #17
mommy2abigail
Rose Trellis

mommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant future

I haven't read all of the replies, but I'm sure there have been some awesome verses posted.

What I've found, in my own journey to a GBD mindset, is that I can't simply pull one or two scriptures and build my theory on that. That is exactly what the punitive minded people do, and not only is it bad interpretation to do that, but it is also very easy to slip their own agenda/opinion in there, and pretty soon it's hard to tell which is which-opinion or biblical truth.

After being handed TTUAC by a close family friend, and reading it (simply to be knowledgeable about the content and the heresy in it) I realized that I have to point him (and other punitive-minded people) to the bible in it's entirety. Yes, having a few scriptures memorized helps in the heat of the moment, and I believe that knowing them, having them posted around where you can see them, and committing them to memory is very important. However, what I have found to be even more important is to look at the character of God and then of Jesus as a whole, in all the events in the bible. When you do that, you see incredible love, mercy, grace, and forgiveness. You see gentleness coupled perfectly with firmness. You see a model for establishing boundaries, teaching (discipling) and treating others, and living a life honoring to God. THAT is what ultimately changed my mind from punitive to grace-based. And while I still have a TON to learn, I've never had anyone argue that point with me...you simply can NOT take one or two scriptures and build a theory/method of ANYthing (parenting, marriage, work ethic, ect) from that.

“Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.”
Leo Buscaglia
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mommy2abigail For This Useful Post:
katiekind (04-10-2010), mamajane (04-16-2010), nanookmama (04-02-2012), Soaring Eagle (04-12-2010)
Old 04-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #19
DesiringHim

Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more. Rom 5:20

And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. 1 Thess 5:14

And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness.
2 Timothy 2: 24

( ^ if we are to treat our adversaries like this, how much more so our own children!)

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. Colossians 3:12-14

When Israel was a child, I loved him,
and out of Egypt I called my son.
The more they were called,
the more they went away;
they kept sacrificing to the Baals
and burning offerings to idols.
Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk;
I took them up by their arms,
but they did not know that I healed them.
I led them with cords of kindness,
with the bands of love,
and I became to them as one who eases the yoke on their jaws,
and I bent down to them and fed them.

Hosea 11:1-4
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (04-13-2010), MudPies (04-12-2010), nanookmama (04-02-2012)
Old 04-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #20
Karen

subbing
Old 04-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #21
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

As well as man that have been posted, one that helps me is James 1:19-20
"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."

Also the verse in my sig, a vision of what I want to be like for my kids (gentle and humble, not putting my yoke on them), to point them to Christ, who is a humble and gentle teacher for all of us.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #22
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

I love all these scriptures! What an uplifting thread!
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (04-12-2010)
Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #23
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

1 Thessalonians 2:7,8
But we proved to be gentle among you, as a nursing mother tenderly cares for her own children. Having so fond an affection for you, we were well-pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God but also our own lives, because you had become very dear to us.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (04-12-2010)
Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 AM   #24
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

maybe this thread should be stickied so we can find it and keep adding to it?
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (04-12-2010), mamajane (04-16-2010), nanookmama (04-12-2010)
Old 04-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #25
FebFaith
Rose Bouquet

FebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of light

I love this thread! I love the Scripture!

Jadeswoman, that Scripture is one of my very favorite verses!

BBL after I've had some time to think.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #26
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

refreshing to my spirit
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." Colossians 3:12
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I am LOVING this thread! Thank you for starting it!! I am going to copy and paste these verses to a word doc, then print it out, and tape these all over my house! I sooooo need to be reminded of these right now.

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #28
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

subbing
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #29
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

Matt 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

Rom 12:18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

I reckon since I'm the adult, it depends on me a lot. Especially when they're so little, it's basically up to me to decide whether I approach our days and interactions with a peaceful mindset or an adversarial one.

Heb 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-yet was without sin...
Heb 5:1-2 Every high priest is selected from among men and is ... able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness.

So if Jesus is gentle, understanding and sympathetic, how much more should we imperfect parents be?

I've actually been quite amazed since discovering GBD how well it fits with just about any scripture I happen to be reading, whatever the context... God is such an amazingly gracious, merciful God and it's written all over the bible
There is still punitive stuff in there, though, and I'm still thinking that through.
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (12-22-2010), mummy2boys (04-13-2010)
Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #30
scottie

Subbing....
Also, if anyone has interpretations of the standard verses used to back up spanking and the like, I'd love to hear it.

ie:Prov. 24:13 "He who spares the rod hates his son,but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

I've always relied on the fact that the "rod" is like the rod a shepherd used to steer his sheep and not used to beat them into submission. So, my interpretation of the verse is that a parent who does not steer her child toward righteousness, etc hates her child, but she who instills discipline, etc in her child loves him.

Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Thessa5:17 View Post
maybe this thread should be stickied so we can find it and keep adding to it?
YES!