Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 01-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Permissiveness or GBD?

What is the difference between permissiveness and GBD? I have read that permissiveness produces children who don't respect their parents and don't have much respect for boundaries.

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Permissiveness or GBD?

Actually, that is not true at all. Permissiveness usually produces children who push for boundaries because children need boundaries to feel safe, but some children are not high needers of strict boundaries and can do fine in a permissive environment. Typically, though, when you have more than one, or a less easy going child, permissiveness isn't going to help you at all. Permissiveness is the opposite end of the spectrum from Punitive and, just like a child who is easy going and a people pleaser may need only a few spankings before they change behavior, thus making some people think spankings work, Permissiveness can *work* as well.

GBD is Grace-Based Discipline and it speaks to an entirely different paradigm from the one that says you're either punitive or permissive. It rejects the extremes of both while providing a middle ground that is both kind and firm.

You can read more about it at my website http://www.aolff.org and in the GD forum here.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
Cheyenne
Rose Garden

Cheyenne has a spectacular aura aboutCheyenne has a spectacular aura about

I came to GCM and started learning GBD to stop being so permissive.

Learning how to eat Paleo.

And mom to
Joshua 16 yr old ds (SID, borderline anxiety disorder, High Functioning on the Autistic spectrum)
Kaitlyn 13yr old dd
Emily 11 yrs old dd (SID)
Bethany 9 yrs old dd

Homeschooling mom
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the key difference between permissiveness and GBD is the D - discipline. Permissive parenting leaves the child on his own and his insecurity over having no one to help and protect him/her makes them act out, usually out of fear and insecurity. Assuming we agree that discipline means teaching, we as parents have a variety of ways to teach our children what they need to know. Punitive discipline teaches them to not do or to do certain things because they have learned to fear punishment and pain. GBD teaches children to do or not to do certain things because we have taught they the reasons why as their maturity allows, have helped them find ways to comply and modeled appropriate behavior and grace to them.

Permissive parenting says 'don't hit, I mean it don't hit, please, please stop hitting....' (they don't stop hitting)
Punitive parenting says 'dont' hit or I will hit you" (they stop hitting to avoid pain)
GBD parenting says 'don't hit because it is unkind and God has taught us to be kind to one another. If you can't control your hitting, I will remove you so that you are not tempted to hit and help you calm down.' (they stop hitting because they either understand or because the parent has stepped in to prevent the hitting)

Crystal, what do you think? Is that an accurate symmary?

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
SuperDudesMama (01-08-2010)
Old 01-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcollins
I think that the key difference between permissiveness and GBD is the D - discipline. Permissive parenting leaves the child on his own and his insecurity over having no one to help and protect him/her makes them act out, usually out of fear and insecurity. Assuming we agree that discipline means teaching, we as parents have a variety of ways to teach our children what they need to know. Punitive discipline teaches them to not do or to do certain things because they have learned to fear punishment and pain. GBD teaches children to do or not to do certain things because we have taught they the reasons why as their maturity allows, have helped them find ways to comply and modeled appropriate behavior and grace to them.

Permissive parenting says 'don't hit, I mean it don't hit, please, please stop hitting....' (they don't stop hitting)
Punitive parenting says 'dont' hit or I will hit you" (they stop hitting to avoid pain)
GBD parenting says 'don't hit because it is unkind and God has taught us to be kind to one another. If you can't control your hitting, I will remove you so that you are not tempted to hit and help you calm down.' (they stop hitting because they either understand or because the parent has stepped in to prevent the hitting)

Crystal, what do you think? Is that an accurate symmary?
Yeah! I like that. There is still authority and effectiveness but its positive reinforcement

Old 01-24-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Cheyenne
Rose Garden

Cheyenne has a spectacular aura aboutCheyenne has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcollins
Permissive parenting leaves the child on his own and his insecurity over having no one to help and protect him/her makes them act out, usually out of fear and insecurity.
Thankfully I was never even remotely that permissive.

Learning how to eat Paleo.

And mom to
Joshua 16 yr old ds (SID, borderline anxiety disorder, High Functioning on the Autistic spectrum)
Kaitlyn 13yr old dd
Emily 11 yrs old dd (SID)
Bethany 9 yrs old dd

Homeschooling mom
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
raisa

It helps me to understanding punitive/permissive in terms of feelings --

-Punitive parenting makes a child feel bad in order to learn

-Permissive parenting does anything, even withholding discipline, to avoid a child's bad feelings, asking the child for "permission" to parent them

-GBD teaches the child, at an age-appropriate level, to meet the standard. Feelings can be respected and reflected, but are not used as a tool for manipulation or fear (by either the parent or the child).
Old 01-26-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute

Robin, thank you for that simplified answer, i'll try to remember that when people ask me about my parenting.
LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

Permissive is the mama with a five year old about to jump off the second-story eave of the house saying, "Now Joey, think about the consequenses of your actions. Is jumping off the roof a good choice?" (true life example from my neighbor all through high school and the reason why it took me so long to even consider non-punitive discipline - I thought all "positive discipline" looked like that bozo and her hellion son who, now btw, is sadly in jail.)
Old 01-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss
Permissive is the mama with a five year old about to jump off the second-story eave of the house saying, "Now Joey, think about the consequenses of your actions. Is jumping off the roof a good choice?" (true life example from my neighbor all through high school and the reason why it took me so long to even consider non-punitive discipline - I thought all "positive discipline" looked like that bozo and her hellion son who, now btw, is sadly in jail.)
Me too! I know three grown "children" from the same family who were raised permissively and it does not look well for them..........

Old 01-31-2006, 04:03 AM   #12
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss
sadly I resisted GBD for the same reason, but one you see the difference, it makes all the sense in the world

Me too! I know three grown "children" from the same family who were raised permissively and it does not look well for them..........

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #13
Joanne
Deactivated

Joanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond repute

It's really the wrong question. GBD is *grace* *based* *discipline*. One of the tenents of it is a lack of phsyical and arbitrary punishment, but that's not what defines it.

If it's permissive, it's not discipline. The problem is that people hear (or observe) a lack of traditional punishment and they filter all normal child behavior through their own issues. A gbd'ed child who pushes is seen as "out of control" while one who is spanked is seen as normal and in need of a spanking.

GBD is firm, non punitive and relationship based.
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #14
Munchkingirl

Wow, I never even realized there was such a difference. Nor have I heard permissivness summed up so well. I am coming from punitive paenting and fear that I will swing to far to the other side. This has helped me see a little more clearly about what GBD really is. Thank you...
Old 08-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #15
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

joyfulmomof2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkingirl
Wow, I never even realized there was such a difference. Nor have I heard permissivness summed up so well. I am coming from punitive paenting and fear that I will swing to far to the other side. This has helped me see a little more clearly about what GBD really is. Thank you...
Me too.

Homeschooling my two sweet kiddos:

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
joyfulmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote