Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 08-11-2005, 10:38 AM   #31
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why not time outs?

Well I would take them if they need help getting themselves there, but I'd make sure they have a vested interest in creating the Comfort Corner and are in the habit of spending time there. Then I'd say, "Hey, you need a break. I can see you are very upset. You need to go to the Comfort Corner and I'll see you when you feel better." Or something to that effect. I would consider using the 5 Steps to get them there, but most children love going there and it's not usually a problem once they are used to it
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #32
Christian_Princess

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading this sticky. One thing though, I kind of feel that I would want to stay with my child during his time at the comfort corner acting as his "life coach" helping him work through his difficult feelings. Until he has an ample amount of tools at his disposal, I wouldn't feel comfortable sending him to a "comfort corner" to cool off by himself and to rejoin when he is ready.

I do agree that the comfort corner should not be a place that is used only when child is in a meltdown. It should be more like a meditative place where we spend time daily meditating, praying or just relaxing. For me, my comfort corner is my altar in my bedroom. I go there to recharge with the Holy Spirit daily and then when I am upset and need guidance from God.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:21 PM   #33
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
One thing though, I kind of feel that I would want to stay with my child during his time at the comfort corner acting as his "life coach" helping him work through his difficult feelings. Until he has an ample amount of tools at his disposal, I wouldn't feel comfortable sending him to a "comfort corner" to cool off by himself and to rejoin when he is ready.
this is a great way to use it. I determine if my child needs time alone to cool off or needs me with them and take it situation by situation
Old 05-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #34
kristel

I have been using time outs and 'sorry' also..So..What if child one has just hit child two ? I can't 'help' her since it's already done. If i do nothing will it continue? ..a little confused
Old 05-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #35
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristel
I have been using time outs and 'sorry' also..So..What if child one has just hit child two ? I can't 'help' her since it's already done. If i do nothing will it continue? ..a little confused
I know we've had some specific threads on this one that you may be able to do a quick search in this forum for. what I do is take the hand of a hitting child and say kindly but very firmly "No hitting. Hitting hurts." I then tell them (even at a young age) that they have wronged their sibling and need to make amends and lead the hitter to a gentle touch. If they are really wanting to hit then I redirect them to hitting something appropriate (mattress, boppy, pillow). This teaches what *to* do both in regards to the sibling (not to hit, make amends) and to the hitting (redirection to something appropriate) and as they grow into greater maturity they will have good habits
Old 08-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #36
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Here comes my third post on this board
The 22 month old that I nanny for is extremely bright and usually super cooperative with her mother and myself (I'm sooo grateful for this). This afternoon, her mother told me that the little girl had gotten her first time out a few days previously. It seems that she has been stomping on her dog's tail and laughing (I think she likes the dog's startled reaction?) and her mother had been gently and firmly reminding her to be gentle and showing her how to be gentle etc for about three days in a row. I think you can see where this is going. Finally, her mother put her in her crib (she stayed in the room with her) for two minutes and called it a time out and told her she needed to say she was sorry for hurting the dog. I asked her mom what the reaction was and she told me "it shocked her and shattered her world." Okay.....I'm very very new to all of this. Can you give me some pointers on how you think when your child repeats a misdeed a few days in a row? Is the gentle discipline thought process "reteach and redirect and remind" basically? Again, I'm super new to this (I've lurked a bit, but that's about it). Thank you, ladies
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #37
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

to your list I'd add "remove" & separate the chilod from the dog but not in a punitive way
Old 08-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #38
AppalachianMama

This is fascinating. I may try it...dh is keen on the time outs...he may resist. I have to admit that I have been having this off feeling when I give ds1 a time out. Just feels so sad. And, it does feel too punitive when he comes out and says, "I never do that again."
Old 08-25-2006, 03:42 PM   #39
norwaymamma

Thank you so much for posting this. I like the comfort corner idea. And what you said about apologies is beautiful. I mean it.
I have a feeling I will be reading this post again and putting it into practice.

norwaymamma
Old 08-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #40
Garnet
Deactivated

Garnet is on a distinguished road

is a time out with a parent acceptable?
Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #41
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

I would technically not define time with a parent as a time out. One purpose of a time out is isolation for an arbitrary amount of time I would call what you are doing more like "taking a break" and with some children you do need a more black and white approach to this. I would just make sure you are challenging your goals for the break and make sure it's not adversarial
Old 08-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #42
Garnet
Deactivated

we do this if someone is fighting with another or teasing/tormenting. Then we sit and discuss why we are sitting here, and how we could have avioded getting here. ( does that make sense?)
Old 08-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #43
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Yes--and I think that is fine. It's sort of like a "positive time out" the way a coach might bench someone until they are ready to return to the game. Your children are on the older side of "child" and so long as you work with them to reflect feelings and calm down so that they can hear the instruction you are engaging in the idea of "correction" or "come let us reason together". I think that is fine. I do think that by calling it a time out you will catch some flak in certain circles where the assumption will be the traditional time out.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #44
Garnet
Deactivated

probably..........but you know me I love to make trouble.....LOL (not really)
Old 09-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #45
hakujin

I am new to the group and just read about the Comfort Corner. I love it!! They boys and I are going to the store to get a few pillows, stuffed animals and some new books for our corner. I'm thinking of making a small milk crate book shelf and having books over there for me too. A quiet place to retreat is what we all need sometimes.