Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 12-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Mama2MeadowRose
Rose Garden

Mama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond repute
Question Proverbs parenting?

NOTE:I have a sincere question and I'm honestly not here to argue, I'll take all/any opinions but I won't argue even if I disagree.

Anyways, my question is this. How do the GCM and AT philosophies explain Proverbs 23:13-14 and Proverbs 13:24?

My little baby girl is only 10 weeks old, but I'm already beginning to try to shape my philosophies for later parenting as well. I really appreciate the forum and it's great to know that other parents share the same philosophies concerning raising infants.
Mama2MeadowRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
CarissaJoy
Rose Blossom

Christian parenting should revolve around relationship with each other and with God.

CarissaJoy has a spectacular aura aboutCarissaJoy has a spectacular aura aboutCarissaJoy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Proverbs parenting?

There are a ton of great resources on this topic if you search on the forum. Also, I invite you to my blog, where I address these issues under the topic "Is Spanking Biblical?" It is good to wrestle with these verses because we need to be confident when we parent that we are parenting by the word of God.

Married to Ryan since 2004

Mommy to two precious gifts:
Aydon 4/10/08
Emma Grace 3/16/11

Visit My Blog :
http://richlyforgiven.blogspot.com/
CarissaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CarissaJoy For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (12-26-2010), Hermana Linda (01-06-2011), Peridot (01-01-2011), ThreeKids (01-01-2011)
Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I've written 2 posts about this very issue at the blog in my signature. I'm working on a 3rd post, but due to some happenings in my life and now being sick, it's taken me a lot longer than I thought it would I do encourage you to check out the first two. I have a ton of links and dissect each Proverbs "rod" verse, going back to the Hebrew words and what their possible meanings are.

There are a lot of really good posts not written by me on that blog too!

Here's the link to my first Proverbs post and there's a link to the next post there as well. There will be a link to the third eventually too!

http://greenegem.wordpress.com/2010/...art-1-context/

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
CarissaJoy (12-27-2010), dulce de leche (12-26-2010), Peridot (01-01-2011), relizabeth (01-01-2011)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute

aolff.org has a great breakdown of those verses, too.

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dulce de leche For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (12-27-2010), Peridot (01-01-2011), Zooey (12-30-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

What does the Holy Spirit tell you? Does it make sense to you that a loving God would want you to beat your child with a rod?
I hope this isn't coming across wrong, but I think it's important that we listen to the Holy Spirit when trying to interpret His word. Then we can consider how it's been translated and taught and discern which is right.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (12-27-2010), Chaos Coordinator (12-31-2010), joyousTXmama (12-27-2010), Peridot (01-01-2011)
Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a direct link to AOLFF's article about Proverbs 23 in my Part 2 post. It's a good one, IMO! It's in the section on Proverbs 23.

The third one that I've been working on is about the rest of the Bible and how we are specifically called to behave as Christians and whether or not that lines up with hitting a child. How does hitting someone else show the fruit of the spirit? How does spanking show the love of Christ to our children and to others who witness us hitting them? I believe that the answer is clear... it doesn't! And yet, people take five (FIVE) verses in Proverbs and base an entire parenting philosophy on them even when their interpretation, IMO, contradicts the ways we are specifically told to behave, as Christians, by Christ Himself.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.

Last edited by BarefootBetsy; 12-27-2010 at 06:39 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (12-27-2010), dulce de leche (12-31-2010), Stiina (01-06-2011), thrillofhope (12-31-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Striving to be a gentle mama and enjoying my littles.

BriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond repute

Mama to J - 11, J - 9, & A - 5
&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
BriansLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Nik999
Rose Blossom

Nik999 is on a distinguished road

Thank you to all who took the time to write these things. I listen to some well-known pastors all the time via podcasts. They all insist that the Proverbs teach to spank. It makes me question myself and the speakers because if they're interpreting Scripture wrong about spanking, what else are they wrong about?
Nik999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Tengokujin
Rose Trellis

Citizen of Heaven

Tengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond repute

It's kinda funny to me that Christians have hyper focused on a couple of Proverbs verses as being about how to raise children, when the WHOLE thing is written to "my son". So many passages about teaching and reasoning with one's child. Beautiful imagery. But then just a couple of verses are taken as "literal"--it doesn't fit with the entirely of the book.

I do think that the issue of spanking being in the Bible is something that most Christians haven't really examined, but have instead just accepted. It's easier to just remember a couple of verses and "do" them, rather than seek out God's heart for children. I think it's a big blind spot in Christendom.
Mom of Jason, DOB 08/25/03 and David, DOB 04/07/07, and DS#3 due May 1st

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

Tengokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tengokujin For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (12-31-2010), Maggie (01-01-2011), Nik999 (01-02-2011), Peridot (01-01-2011), Waterlogged (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

Well, it takes a long time to go through even just five verses and figure out what all the main words could mean in Hebrew and look at all the different ways they've been translated in English over the years and puzzle out the various ways they could be interpreted... I can understand why not everyone would want to do that when the "rod" verses have such an established meaning already.

But I'd think that doing such a thing would be something a teacher *should* be doing before they teach about it. It really is disturbing that so few (read: almost none) actually bother to do anything remotely like a word/context study on certain passages (not just these) because they just accept what the popular interpretation is without question. They might do it on other passages where the consensus is a little shakier, but since everyone seems to agree that the rod verses mean spanking... who's going to question it? IMO, until and unless we shake that consensus enough for people to actually need to revisit it, almost nobody will.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
CarissaJoy (01-01-2011), Peridot (01-01-2011), Zooey (01-02-2011)
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #11
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsings View Post
What does the Holy Spirit tell you? Does it make sense to you that a loving God would want you to beat your child with a rod?
I hope this isn't coming across wrong, but I think it's important that we listen to the Holy Spirit when trying to interpret His word. Then we can consider how it's been translated and taught and discern which is right.

When I was spanking Maximus for hitting his newborn brother, I was saying, 'YOu may not hit him just because he doesn't do what you say!'...

a gentle voice whispered, "but that's what YOU are doing"....

There's a reason we feel uneasy when we start spanking. It makes us feel badly, and that's because it is NOT right.

On another note- BareFootBetsy's posts are SO good that a gentleman who is prospanking posted it to his website saying that it was well done and he needed to wrestle with it because there was truth there.

(its in the comments)

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (01-01-2011), relizabeth (01-01-2011), TenderLovingWillow (01-01-2011)