Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting meals while cooking for 2 with limited kitchen gadgets

For the next 4-6 weeks I'm at my mom's house (she's in assisted living) with just one of my teens. She has a regular kitchen but no instant pot, food processoor, slow cooker, etc. Also, I am so un-accustomed to cooking for only 2 people! I'm used to cooking for 7 and making enough for two meals so I don't have to start from scratch every night.

I've done spaghetti, burritos, and baked chicken with vegetables. And I'm totally out of ideas. I could just eat vegetables and some protein and be fine, no complaints. But if I keep cooking the same old thing all the time my teen starts asking for carryout and I'm trying to save money. (I'm not trying to go overboard catering to him but I'm also asking some things from him right now that are hard and not necessarily fair, so I want to give a little on the food.)

I can look for a slow cooker at Goodwill. But I doubt I'll find any other other appliances I'm used to for cheap.

What do I cook for 2 that's interesting?

I'm thinking I'll make stir-fry tomorrow. We both love that. Oh, and my mom's kitchen only has very basic spices and I don't want to spend a fortune starting over on spices, either. At home I have a stock of spices for making all our favorites. But I can buy a few. There are Penzey's everywhere, here.

I also plant to go to Costco soon, but I have to be careful and remember there's only 2 people to eat whatever I buy! It's a huge adjustment in my thinking.

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

I have easy access to Aldi, Trader Joe's, Costco, Whole Foods, as well as regular supermarkets.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting meals while cooking for 2 with limited kitchen gadgets

Wo do a lot of Easy fast meals now w me working And a lot of times it’s just S and DH for dinner

Some that are easily meals for /
*egg roll in a bowl (ground beef bags of
Coleslaw spices and tamari w rice— let me know if you want the recipe)
*chicken wings/breasts
*Tacos
*Cowboy grub (basically ground beef, pinto beans, rotes and spices. Can be also served over rice)
*chicken salad (breast’s on side Of a large salad)

I will keep thinking. Let me know if you want recipes for the ones I summarized

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 10-04-2020 at 09:43 AM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Sheet pan dinners, that can be almost any style. Stirfry to mexican.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Can be done with any meat. Soak mei fun noodles in water while you cook. Brown the meat, open a bag of mixed stir fry veggies, throw drained mei fun rice noodles in. Season with soy sauce, tamari, or Chinese 5 spice with a little maple syrup over if you prefer a sweeter dish.

If you eat pork, pan fried pork chop, broccoli and baked potato.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Will your teen eat soup? (Tortilla-chicken soup, minestrone, avgolemono, or perhaps carrot-ginger?) If you have a decent bakery nearby you can get an interesting bread to go with it.

Quesadillas
Panini or Croque Madame/Monsieur
Chili (30 minutes on the stovetop; my kids only eat it with corn chips and sour cream )
Satay (chicken or beef, with rice and stir-fried green beans)
Lasagne, Lasagna rolls, or eggplant rollatini

If you go to Costco, the rotisserie chickens are good and you could get two interesting meals out of just one.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Sheet pan dinners, that can be almost any style. Stirfry to mexican.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sheet pant meals are so easy and tasty. A quick switch up of spices and it's a totally different meal.
Potatoes/peppers/carrots/onions/zucchini/cabbage/any veggies!, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Add a couple of italian sausages and some italian seasoning. Toss with pasta.
Chicken breasts and greek seasoning, serve with rice and tzatzki.
pork chops and rosemary.
form meatballs and serve with rice.
toss vegetables with soy sauce, and drizzle hoisin sauce over chicken pieces, serve with rice.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Burgers or hot dogs with frozen fries and a salad.

Rotisserie chicken shredded for chicken salad sandwiches and chicken tacos.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:09 AM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all the ideas!

I found a George Foreman grill so I will use that sometimes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-05-2020), Singingmom (10-05-2020), tempus vernum (10-05-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

If your teen likes CFA, Costco has frozen nuggets that are pretty similar in taste. I think the brand is Bare?
Old 10-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

He's never had Chick Fil A. We're not into breaded foods, really.

I'm one of those oddballs that can't understand what people like about Chick Fil A.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (10-06-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #11
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
He's never had Chick Fil A. We're not into breaded foods, really.

I'm one of those oddballs that can't understand what people like about Chick Fil A.
Their fries are really good when I am craving a snack. (which is not often) After not eating fast foods out for so long I ate some of the grilled chicken nuggets at ChickFilA I really didn't want to eat them after I tasted one. To me you can taste the chemicals to preserve the meat.

I do stop and get their lemon aid more often than anything. (We have been gluten free for 17 or 18 years and I just got used to not stopping for fast foods.)
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote