Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
mommie
Rose Trellis

On my way to a healther me.

mommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond repute
Default I am not an organized person

l cannot stay organized. i need to go through toys and clothes and purge. right now my house has fallen apart. I have gone thro toys but my house is suffering for it....i cant clean without making a mess..
i just feel so overwhelmed by there stuff..
tips or suggestions...please
All typos must be assumed are from my friend auto correct and clumsy fingers.
mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am not an organized person

What organization systems have you tried?
Different ones work better for different people. Some people find Flylady very helpful. Others use...Motivated Moms? I think it's called?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
mommie
Rose Trellis

mommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond reputemommie has a reputation beyond repute

i havent tried any... its like i can stay good for a little. it then i can barley clean up anything.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Are you finding that you do a ton for a few days and then burn out and don't do anything?

If so, following some kind of plan might be really helpful for you.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a friend who will help? I say this because I love to organize and help others do it- it's like fun for me, but I'm not local to you. So do you have a friend like that?

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Chickadee&Me (08-07-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
marathonmom
Rose Trellis

marathonmom will become famous soon enough

I feel your pain. I am the same way. I can share two things that slightly helped:

1) When my kids were young (like under 4 years old) I decided that every toy that had more than a few pieces had to go. (I kept a few puzzles that had more). I just couldn't handle all the cleaning up.

2) Filing - I read somewhere that some people prefer to take the time putting away, others prefer spending alittle more time looking for something (but don't want to spend a huge amount of time putting away). I am the second type, so I make systems that are very easy to put away into -- even if that means I have to look a little bit when it is time to find something. E.G. receipts are filed by month. I can look in Quicken to see what month I bot something -- then just look in the file pocket by month. I have to look a little bit to find it, but I don't mind.

If I don't have an easy system for putting away, I procrastinate and things pile up.

What is the smallest area you have to organize that would have the biggest impact on your life? Perhaps start there with just 15 minutes a day, and then success there will help you move forward.

Happy Mom to two teen dd's + a 11 yo, and 1 very spoiled cat
marathonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation

My suggestion is to focus. Tell us what one or two areas bother you the most. Then we can brainstorm just those spots.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thia For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
librarianjojo
Rose Trellis

librarianjojo has disabled reputation

When I help people organize, I find there are usually one of two problems and more often both:

1. Too much stuff. As Flylady says, "You can't organize clutter." No organization system in the world is good enough to make clutter not an issue.

2. Overcomplication. When you find yourself loathe to put things away because it is a PITA to get it where it is "supposed" to go, then your system is not working. Having no system is a form of a system - just a super frustrating one.

What is the most frustrating part of your day? That is usually a good place to start.
librarianjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to librarianjojo For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (08-04-2013), Johns_Gal (08-07-2013), TenderLovingWillow (08-31-2013), Virginia (08-05-2013), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (08-07-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thia View Post
My suggestion is to focus. Tell us what one or two areas bother you the most. Then we can brainstorm just those spots.
Specific goals are more likely to succeed than general ones. "I want to keep the house clean" can be overwhelming, whereas "I want to keep the living room floor clear" is much more manageable. Start small with a few key areas and as you focus on those you may find it gets easier to keep the whole house neater.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
mommie
Rose Trellis

right now its everything about house keeping. i am burnt out.
i do seem to over exert myself for a few days then not be able to do anything.
currently i have been too tired to do anything... but its not related to over doing it... i am just tired.
I am going through the toys right now... even though my kids are 4 ,6,9 the can seem to keep liitle parts together ..games are the worst. and puzzles.
i have no clear sysetem for clothes, and my girls do not have a dresser, and do not keep stuff hanging in thier closet. also i need to go through them and get out the stuff to small for anyone.
even things like pictures, or books, but i lack book shelves.
I look at the mess and feel overwhelmed before i even start on it.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

oh and a system for getting the kids to help regulary, like just keeping rhier room clean or clani g up after themselves all thw time
The Following User Says Thank You to mommie For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (08-17-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute

i think having your kids help is a great idea. maybe give them one new "job" each week? like making bed, putting dirty clothes in one place, picking up toys once a day, etc.

also, lets find places up HIGH to keep all those games, puzzles, etc. i even bought child safety locks (like for cabinets) to keep the books and toys behind (because i seem to have the same problems!)

we keep all games and puzzles on the high shelf in the coat closet.

for the clothes, where are the kids clothes supposed to go? (you mentioned no dresser and no hanging?) mine are 4 and 6 and I make them hang everything except undies, socks and jamies. i installed a low bar in their closets (not expensive at all, bought at a big box hardware store) and tons of plastic hangers. i showed them how to hang things up...and then (now!) made (make) them do it every .single .day. its hard for me to stay on it but they are getting better.

jamies, socks and undies are in a dresser now, but at our old house we didn't have dressers and used med size clear plastic boxes on the floor of the closet. i also let the keep shorts/pants in the dresser (or box). no rules about keeping things in there folded, just in the correct box. depending on how much/many of these types of clothes, you could even just give each dc 1 box and keep it on top of the dryer.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
mommie
Rose Trellis

i am hoping to get a new dresser with the comming months for the girls, i even wonder if they should have seperate ones...like those small 4 drawer ones.
they wont keek stuff up in the closet. they play in their closet it as it is a big closet. right now i keep clothes in bins but its not really working as it is not very organized.
I know in another thread it was mentioned i need new furniture but until i can do that i need to be able to take care of it now.
right now my biggest clutter is clothes and toys. clothes because 2/3 of it really has no proper place and i have also been slacking on the laundry.
i feel good that i have gotten rid of some toys today, but its just the begining.
my goal is to have things looking and running smoother by the begining of september..i know thats a couple of weeks , but i feel that amount of time is needed.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

areas that bother me the most are my kitchen and dinning room. the dinning room is also the toy room , and the kitchen is also the laundry room... so tons of clothes in the kitchen which spill out to the laundry room, and well my dining room just has seen better days.
i am thinking i should go back to paper plates for a few weeks till o get a grasp on things agai .
Old 08-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute

how about cutting back for a few weeks?

ie. paper plates are AWESOME, grab 1 box/basket per child and put it up on the washer or dryer...keep out 3 jamies, 10 undies and a few socks, all in the basket. everything else in some sort of box/bag (trash bag,e ven) and stash in the basement or garage or attic. then you can breathe...and slowly work through things. i'd do the same with toys and games and puzzles...keep out 1-2 of each and bag up the rest for a while. then you can have a clean, clear space about you in thehouse. its amazing how much this can give you a clear head and increased motivation.

for the closet...can they hang clothes up high and play underneath? or can you put up a tension shower curtain rod somewhere else and keep clothes there, so again, you can have clean and clear space to start with?
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abh5e8 For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (08-07-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation

I understand the clothes. Let's see...my son's dresser broke (not his fault, just old) so his clothes are all in one rubbermaid bin. I don't care if he folds it or not, just keep it off the floor. My two youngest daughters were playing dress up with the regular clothes to the point it was just clothes everywhere. I cut them back to the necessities (so easy in summer) and put their clothes in a laundry basket it my room. They have undies in their drawers, that's it. It's a pitb, but better than clothes everywhere. My oldest daughter is the only one with clothes in her dresser that she folds. It's not perfect, but it works.
Toys...large rubbermaid bins. Everything sorted out. They get one or two at a time, depending on which ones. Nothing else till they trade. I have a smaller bin that I use to store things that end up out of the proper sort. A few times a year I take them all out and put things away nicely again. 4:00 here is clean up time. All toys cleaned up by them. They can play again later, but with our evening of dinner, some tv, and bedtime, they usually don't make much of a mess. The toy bins are in my son's closet b/c he doesn't have any clothes to hand anyways. His clothes bin is just under his loft right now. But even if you keep some toy bins in the dining room, that will look much neater than toys scattered about. And hello, it's easy....lol. I need easy right now. So do you. Start simple. Don't get perfectionist. Bins don't need photos of contents with caligraphy labels. Pop the lid edge up, take a peek...now you know what's in there. Or....(like I've done for seasonal clothes storage) a post it note duct taped to one side.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
mommie
Rose Trellis

Got toys picked up from the dining room.. still a lot left to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommie For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (08-07-2013)